LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Overlay Problem

sn0wl

Guest nexus7

hmm

avid is always picky... I didnt try to revert to factory settings because avid was the first thing that I installed it didnt work and then I started to try.

anyway. thanks for your help. I will keep on trying different things.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

• Jeroen

• salzrat

Top Posters In This Topic

This fix worked great. I propose it become part of the Enhancer section of the website. :)

• 1 month later...

I agree :)

Me <= Bored to change 3 lines in the inf for every drivers i install :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

on my system (precision M50 with Quadro 700GoGL, 84.drivers), I can compare VMR and overlay side by side by opening a zoom player with VMR enabled in the player, and a windows media player which uses overlay (VMR setting disabled in nvidia cpl).

I observe that the color settings seem to be very strange in the VMR version. The brightness is way too high, and contrast is lacking, leading to washed out colors. In zoom player I can get almost the same image by cranking up contrast and reducing brightness, but it seems strange that that should be necessary.

Does anybody know since which driver version this behavior started, and when it disappears again?

Furthermore, if I switch to overlay mode in zoom player, I don't get an image (same for mplay32), but I guess that can be resolved using the fix from this thread.

Note: I really really want VMR to work, because this is the only way I can display video using the calibrated gamma curve I created with my colorimeter. Overlay just ignores this gamma curve and results in really bad (bluish) colors.

• 1 month later...
Guest Yusuf AKDAG

Hello Brother,

I'm a game developer and working on a project actively.

one of test machine has that ######'n problem and I cannot solve it till read your article.

and now, there is no problem with that.

Thanks a lot man. :P

Ne mutlu Türküm diyene diyerek bitirmek istedim :) :)

You are welcome, I'm glad it worked. Nice finish :)

Guys,

let me add some more juice to this VMR and overlay discussion...

I'm not sure whether I once had the problem myself, but I do notice the following:

Overlay mode (if it works) removes the darkest and brightest colors from a video stream. These colors, in broadcast and consequently in all common (non-RGB) videoformats, don't carry interesting information (it's called blacker than black and whiter than white). Actual black and white levels are at 16 and 235 respectively. So overlay mode expands 16-235 to be at 0-255 - which is a good thing to do on a PC monitor.

However, if you use TV-out, overlay mode sucks because the TV actually expects black to be at 16 and white to be at 235. You will lose detail in the black regions which you can't recover.

VMR, on the other hand, passes 16-235 unmodified, and is therefore perfect for TV out. For display on a PC monitor, however, it's less than perfect because black is actually a dark grey and white is not really the brightes white available on your monitor.

So if you mainly display videos on your PC, then overlay mode should be better for you. If you tend to switch sometimes, then you can use the ffdshow filter to to the 16-235 to 0-255 expansion even on VMR.

Plus, overlay doesn't allow for color correction, whereas VMR will use any calibration you set for your monitor.

Hope that explains some. It certainly improved my viewing experience considerably - viewing movies using VMR on the TV is really so much better than overlay mode!

-m

Good post salzrat. VMR is the wave of the future and is much newer technology than Overlay Mode. Unfortunately, as many users have discovered, it's also much more resource-intensive and can cause lag (or not work at all) on machines without the right drivers and plenty of bandwidth.

Many people don't realize that VMR mode uses your general system color settings (brightness, contrast, gamma, etc.) while Overlay Mode requires separate adjustments via the Nvidia Control Panel. That was a good reminder.

I like your point about the gray scale, though I actually prefer VMR's gray scale even on my laptop screen. Overlay mode has always seemed a bit too contrasty to me, and this is probably the reason.

Again... Good post!

:)

Hello,

I have got a problem, with the Overlay function.

I want to use Dscaler, but after the programm starts, I get a message, that overlay ist not available on my system.

(Sorry. I am at work. So I am not able to post the correct message.)

After looking for a solution on different websites and thousands of forums, I found your VMR-Fix and thought this could solve my problem.

So yesterday I uninstalled the old Forceware and installed Forceware 91.33 including your *.inf-File.

But after a reboot, the overlay function is still not available...

To check, if the Overlay Settings are installed correctly, I searched the registry and found the correct settings for Overlay Mode 2-4.

So, did I understand your VMR-Fix wrong ? Is it not the solution for my Overlay-problem ? What can I do, to fix it ?

Few Infos about my system:

Athlon 3.2 GHz (64 Bit)

1,2 GB Ram

Asus 7600 GS (256 MB Ram)

old TV-Card (BT 878)

Hope, you can help me.

Thanks in advance

pitman

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english :)

Edited by pitman

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answer pitman, but the INF attached on the topic is for 84.25, not 91.33. Try reading Quickstart Guide and installing 84.25 with the attached INF and retry.

• 4 weeks later...

I had problems with diagonal tearing in Windows Media Video for a while. Lately however, the tearing seems to be almost at the top of the image, still a bit diagonal but not as much as before. Does anyone else experience this? Dell Inspiron 8600, GeForce Go 5650.

Yes, I get that diagonal tearing too. I've never been able to figure out what causes it, but I know it affects a lot of people.

Try using different output settings like VMR7 or 9 with Media Player Classic. I was having that before overlay fix and with one of the VMR settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am not able to see the DVD on my laptop.

Please find the infromation about my laptop and the steps I took to resolve the issue,

1)Laptop Specifications.

Make- Toshiba (Tecra)

Graphics- nvidia- version 84.25

OS- win XP.

WINDVD5 for Toshiba.

2)Error message:

Create overlay failed.Please lower your resolution or color depth and try again.

3)Steps I took to resolve the issue.

A) Searched for the error in the internrt.

:) Found the link http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=9211I

C)As per the instructions in the first paragraph of the blog,

D) I downloaded nvidia driver Forceware 84.25.

E) I replaced the old inf file with modifed file.

F)Ran the setup.

I am getting the same error as mentioned above when I open the DVD.

I have tried by lowering the resolution as well but in vain.

Any help to resolve the problem will be appreciated.

Regards,

-Dundappa Kamate

• 7 months later...
Guys,

let me add some more juice to this VMR and overlay discussion...

I'm not sure whether I once had the problem myself, but I do notice the following:

Overlay mode (if it works) removes the darkest and brightest colors from a video stream. These colors, in broadcast and consequently in all common (non-RGB) videoformats, don't carry interesting information (it's called blacker than black and whiter than white). Actual black and white levels are at 16 and 235 respectively. So overlay mode expands 16-235 to be at 0-255 - which is a good thing to do on a PC monitor.

However, if you use TV-out, overlay mode sucks because the TV actually expects black to be at 16 and white to be at 235. You will lose detail in the black regions which you can't recover.

VMR, on the other hand, passes 16-235 unmodified, and is therefore perfect for TV out. For display on a PC monitor, however, it's less than perfect because black is actually a dark grey and white is not really the brightes white available on your monitor.

So if you mainly display videos on your PC, then overlay mode should be better for you. If you tend to switch sometimes, then you can use the ffdshow filter to to the 16-235 to 0-255 expansion even on VMR.

Plus, overlay doesn't allow for color correction, whereas VMR will use any calibration you set for your monitor.

Hope that explains some. It certainly improved my viewing experience considerably - viewing movies using VMR on the TV is really so much better than overlay mode!

-m

Hi guys, I'm new to this site.

I have one old PII machine that is used as DVD player and there is unusual problem with overlay function on TV output. Sometimes the picture on TV zooms in, as it is triggered by video being played in full screen mode. Only way to revert the zoomed pic is to toggle the zoom controls in NVIDIA's control panel (I use classic layout). This is strange because the video overlay shouldn't include anything other than video playback. Not the whole screen. All of my drivers are up-to-date (for windows 98 SE, that is) and there are no mentions of this problem anywhere I looked. This thread is the closest to the issue.

PII

Win 98SE

GeForce 4 MX 440

Latest drivers

And yes... it is not a laptop.

All I can think of doing is to uninstall your current drivers and try another one.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the Toshiba Satellite 5200-902 with an built-in Geforce 5600go (64 MB). Everything worked fine in XP but in Vista I tried several drivers, everytime I had the problem that overlay didn´t work so the CPU is stressed hard.

I also added these 3 lines you suggested but it didn´t help.

Is there a possibility to make overlay work in a driver for a Geforce 5600go in Vista ?

Thanks

This fix is intended for XP drivers, I don't know if it works under Vista and appearantly it doesn't. Sorry but I have no intention of using Vista on this laptop so cannot further help you on the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear sn0wl,

Thanks a lot for your help with the [FIX] Video Overlay Problem. I had the same problem as many with AVID (it would not playback the image right even though the timeline was running properly).

I followed the steps described in this thread and finally the enhanced inf file with the 84.25 driver fixed it all! As a fellow member said you are now a driver-god that helps loads of other people with similar problems!!

Now, sorry to bother with similar issues, but I wonder if it is possible to install a newer driver (I.e. DriverVersion = 07/20/2007, 6.14.11.6314) with the enhanced inf file that came with the 84.25 driver?

I mean, if I replace the original inf file in DriverVersion = 07/20/2007, 6.14.11.6314 with the inf file that came with the Driver Version = 03/17/2006, 8.4.2.5 would it still work?

The reason I ask is since everytime I now open my AVID I get an error sign telling: An ACCESS_VIOLATION exception occurred. For more information see the error log: D:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Avid FatalErrorReports (and also after effects is taking longer time than usual to launch).

With other words: after installing the 84.25 driver I get this error but nevertheless AVID run quite well. Before, when I had the 6.14.11.6314 driver I did not get any error but I could not playback my videos with AVID. Therefore I

was thinking if there was a way to combine the inf file of 84.25 driver with the newer driver version 6.14.11.6314?

What do you reckon?

Sorry for a long letter and any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Rodri

MY LAPTOP:

SONY VAIO VGN-AR31S. T7200, Intel Core Duo, 2.00GHz. 2 GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT GPU

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad we helped you.

For your question, yes you can try newer drivers as well. Just head to enhancer here, select your inf (driver) version, then tick VMR Fix option and finally submit to get a modified INF to be used with the selected driver installation.

I hope that helps.

Hello!! It all worked out really well. I installed the new driver right on top the older one and can now run AVID without problems. Maybe I should have uninstalled the previous driver first but... It looks good for now!

Without this forum I should have been wasting my time and money with loads of technicians or other companies. I love the Internet.

Peace and thanks again!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest rumbler

Thanx so much! without your description for overlay modification i would not have made it.

i tried for 2 weeks to make my avid xpress run on my notebook with a nvidia8400M G, but i could not make the playback work. the classic problem: sound is running, picture not. then i found on this site the driver 16376 with a modded inf. that driver worked just fine on my notebook with the nvidia, but the avid problem was not solved yet.

the i found this post with the three lines changes in the overlay command of the inf. i modded the inf of my 16376 driver by following your discription.

installed the driver again and wonder what?! the avid worked finaly and did a perfect playback.

thanx again without this site i would have sold my notebook.

greetings from berlin germany

• 5 months later...
Guest LathspeLL

Is there a way to fix washed out colors after using this tweak? If I enable VMR in Avid Xpress, when I play videos, colors looks washed out. When I pause the video they get back to normal.

don't suggest media splitters because this is in Avid. For movie playback I can set everything in the ffdshow. But avid shows the true driver settings. There should be fix for this.

I've tried the so called "nvidia registery fix" but it didn't work.