LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia GeForce FXGo5200: No 1400x1050 external resolution

loertsch

Hi ,

I am using a Toshiba Tecra M2, with nvidia GeForce FXGo5200, Win XP (patched), latest graphics driver 4.6.4.4.

Problem: There is no possibility to switch to standard resolution 1400x1050 on the external monitor.

1600x1200, 1280x1024 and many others are offered in a long list, but the one I need for the Samsung 203B is missing - even if "don't show resolutions not supported" in monitor display properties is disabled.

If I uninstall the graphics driver, a switch to 1400x1050 is possible !

So from a technical perspective, it is no problem, it's the diver that blocks/ignores it.

(XP reloads the nvidia driver after some seconds (PnP) and the option is no longer available.)

The official answer from Toshiba support is that it is not supported and that they reject to work on a solution to this. However: In the official Toshiba Tecra M2 manual, 1400x1050 is in the list of supported resolutions !

Does anybody know how to find a solution ?

I would really appreciate any helpful information.

Thank you.

Try one of our newer drivers with a modded mobile inf. That should give you the resolution you need.

For the Go5200, I recommend driver 67.66. Be sure you also download our mobile inf and use it to replace the inf in the driver set before you install.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried the 67.66 with the replaced mobile inf file for 67.66 as you recommended.

Now I get a far bigger choice of resolutions like

- 1366x768

- 1440x900

- 1600x900

- 1600x1000

- 1600x1024

(button show resolutions supported by monitor is unchecked)

I can hardly believe it, but 1400x1050 is still missing...

Do you know have an idea how to have it added ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There;

I have a similar system, with similar problem for 1680x1050 resolution.

I can see a a long list of resolutions, including 1400x1050 but the the one before.

In fact I have the resolution set to 1400x1050, but the quality is horrible because

my monitor native resolution is 1680x1050.

Any idea if it can be added. I used the *.inf file from laptop2go, which allowed me to do the install.

Do I need to delete the monitor and let the system create it again?

Any idea? I am really frustrated with this.

Thanks;

JCC

Specifics:?

Toshiba Tecra M2

Nvidia GeForce FX G05200 32M/64M

Graphic Bio

Driver Version 9.3.7.1 10/22/06

Bios Inof 4.34.20.63.A3

I upgraded to the most recent driver set, 93.71.

Hi ,

I am using a Toshiba Tecra M2, with nvidia GeForce FXGo5200, Win XP (patched), latest graphics driver 4.6.4.4.

Problem: There is no possibility to switch to standard resolution 1400x1050 on the external monitor.

1600x1200, 1280x1024 and many others are offered in a long list, but the one I need for the Samsung 203B is missing - even if "don't show resolutions not supported" in monitor display properties is disabled.

If I uninstall the graphics driver, a switch to 1400x1050 is possible !

So from a technical perspective, it is no problem, it's the diver that blocks/ignores it.

(XP reloads the nvidia driver after some seconds (PnP) and the option is no longer available.)

The official answer from Toshiba support is that it is not supported and that they reject to work on a solution to this. However: In the official Toshiba Tecra M2 manual, 1400x1050 is in the list of supported resolutions !

Does anybody know how to find a solution ?

I would really appreciate any helpful information.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
Try one of our newer drivers with a modded mobile inf. That should give you the resolution you need.

For the Go5200, I recommend driver 67.66. Be sure you also download our mobile inf and use it to replace the inf in the driver set before you install.

Let us know how it goes.

I know this might sound stupid, but where do you download the "mobile inf". Are you referring to the .inf link just to the right of the 67.66 driver download link?

Thanks

billd, yes, that's the one.

billd, yes, that's the one.

Thanks very much for the fast reply. I've been struggling with making the new driver work. I've tried installing the new driver after uninstalling the old one, uninstalling the old one and then installing the new one, etc. The new driver works but does not give me a 1680x1050 option (or any other wide screen option). I'm using a Toshiba Tecra M2 notebook with an external Samsung SyncMaster 245BW wide screen monitor.

At one point in messing with this, I actually saw the widescreen modes in "List all modes". It might have been when I installed the 6766 driver over the 6742 driver I tried before I saw your post. Now I can't get these modes available again.

Any ideas?

Edited by billd

Although still a great driver for the Go5200, 67.66 is pretty old. All the recent drivers (the 167 and 169 series) should support widescreen modes and should work fine for you. If you find you're dropping frames, try 84.98 and create a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. It's an excellent driver for the Go5200, although PowerMizer doesn't work with it.

Although still a great driver for the Go5200, 67.66 is pretty old. All the recent drivers (the 167 and 169 series) should support widescreen modes and should work fine for you. If you find you're dropping frames, try 84.98 and create a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. It's an excellent driver for the Go5200, although PowerMizer doesn't work with it.

Wow, fast reply!

Would you uninstall the old drivers first?

Yes, that's always the best method.