LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can't upgrade drivers for Go5700 FX

mormol

Hi guys, Im new here. I ve got an Acer Aspire 1714 with a Go5700 FX card, 3.4 processor and 1 GB RAM and Win XP Pro SP2.

I m the kind of guy who believes in "If it ain't broken don't fix it" so I used to be happy with the default 53.51 drivers provided by the manufacturer.

.....Until now. I tried to play Neverwinter Nights II and I got 2-5 fps (!) with all settings lowered and 1280x1024 (native) resolution. FPS increased by one or two when lowering the resolution to 1024x768. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I decided to try the FW drivers with the modded infs.

The thing is, whenever I install a new driver and restart, I get a beautiful screen of interlacing colourful vertical and horizontal lines :/

..and thats it. Ive tried various versions (77.76, 82.10, 84.25, 91.52 and 97.02) with the same results.

I figured that since ive seen other guys having no problem with the drivers on the same laptop, there might be a conflict issue.

I was also wondering if i should change the following line of the modded inf (under [NVIDIA.Mfg]) :

%NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0348.1% = nv4_mobile, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0348

to:

%NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0348.1% = nv4_DT3, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0348&SUBSYS_00451025

which is what there is in the 53.51 inf (which works)

Any ideas????

The full specs of my card:

GeForce FX Go5700

128 MB

BIOS v. 4.36.20.33.09

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0348&SUBSYS_00451025&REV_A1\4&56EB5F&0&0008

Edited by mormol

The subsys value is used to make a difference between the hardware from vendor A and B. So GeForce FX Go 5700 are all DEV_0348... changing this line won't change anything about the driver.

If you went thru the gaming troubleshooting in the FAQ section and followed the minimum requirements link... you would have found:

Minimum: 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500+ / ATI Radeon 9500+)

Which means that your system barely qualifies to run the game... which means at 800x600 you should get something like 15 fps... therefore much lower frame rates at your screen native resolution.

Complain directly to Acer... or if you have a spare HDD try to fully reinstall your OS. It's likely a software compatibility issue.

I ve made some progress

I managed to install FW drivers 82.10, which I noticed that support GeForce Go5700 FX as they are, so I didnt use the modded inf.

Everything looked OK, performance slightly increased, until I tried to change the resolution from 1280x1024 (native) to 1024x768. Then the color lines screen appeared again. On rebooting and with the resolution changed back to 1280x1024 everything works fine again.

What might that mean?

This is how the screen looks like...Breathtaking isn't it? :)

I also get the following message when I try to uninstall these drivers:

DEV WARNING! you are using a downrev'd NVCPL.DLL with nvCplUI.exe - there may be crashes (Api:0.0, Client:0.5)

post-6229-1167491826_thumb.jpg

Edited by mormol

• 4 weeks later...

I formatted the HD and installed windows again but the problem remains....

Does this mean that there's a hardware conflict?...

It looks like a bad graphics card. See your laptop manufacturer.

I also get the following message when I try to uninstall these drivers:

DEV WARNING! you are using a downrev'd NVCPL.DLL with nvCplUI.exe - there may be crashes (Api:0.0, Client:0.5)

What else are you running ?

That doesn't look like a NVIDIA error message ?

There might be something else causing your woes

Try to reinstall windows (again) and with nothing else installed install a newer driver.

DO NOT install the 50's driver first, straight for a newer one.

Try a 90's driver.

This should tell us if the driver is at fault or something else.

Thanks for the reply.

Try to reinstall windows (again) and with nothing else installed install a newer driver.

DO NOT install the 50's driver first, straight for a newer one.

Try a 90's driver.

Thats what I did when I reinstalled windows. The driver (I installed 82.10) was the first thing I installed after the motherboard drivers, but the problem remained.

What is strange is that the original drivers provided by the manufacturer (53.51) work fine and nothing else does. I've tried 60s,70s,80s and 90s drivers, all with the same results.

Is there any chance it is a BIOS or AGP driver problem? Its the only thing I can think of...

really need other 1714 owners to have their experiences with drivers.

The only thing I've changed from new is the HD which I doubt that could create any problem. But now that I think of it I had the MoBo changed (by Acer support) It should be the same as the old one but maybe there's an older BIOS version. What else?

• 7 months later...
The only thing I've changed from new is the HD which I doubt that could create any problem. But now that I think of it I had the MoBo changed (by Acer support) It should be the same as the old one but maybe there's an older BIOS version. What else?

i OCed the GPU to much, and now it wont load windows all the way. it freezes, then blue screen of death, then shutsdown. irolled back driver ,cleared Cmos, restored too older time, updated drives,uninstalled Nvidia control panel ,tried to change clock setting for it, got new bios chip with newest verison, any adivice would be great ..thanks i stsarted in safe mode and days the Nivida software control panel is (DEV ERROR)" use are using a downrev'd NVCPL.DLL) with nvCplUI.exe--there may be crashes"

i OCed the GPU to much, and now it wont load windows all the way. it freezes, then blue screen of death, then shutsdown. irolled back driver ,cleared Cmos, restored too older time, updated drives,uninstalled Nvidia control panel ,tried to change clock setting for it, got new bios chip with newest verison, any adivice would be great ..thanks i stsarted in safe mode and days the Nivida software control panel is (DEV ERROR)" use are using a downrev'd NVCPL.DLL) with nvCplUI.exe--there may be crashes"

good luck if you find out email please! :)