LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Another year, another attempt at a driver recommendation topic.

Bill

Well guys, it's time to get this new fangled driver recommendation stuff off the ground. (kind of like all these pyrotechnic devices I have tried to get off the ground in my backyard :) )

How can we possibly make it work you ask?

Well of course the answer is community involvement.

A forum isn't just a one way web page, its designed for structured community discussion.

Now here is your way to give back to the community.

Go check out these topics, read the 3 part instructions, and post a recommendation or horror story.

Yes, it really is that simple. Even my cat could probably do it, except she is evil and has an ATI powered laptop. (not really but she probably dreams about them, she is evil after all)

GeForce 2, 3, and 4 series

GeForce FX series

GeForce 6 and 7 series

GeForce 8 series

I have for the most part separated the series out by hardware support of each major DirectX version.

So have you recommended a driver yet?

If your still reading this and you haven't your not helping the community.

If your really too lazy to post then just throw us some cash here and see if it fixes the problem.

Hey, it works for congress, why not us?

So what do you guys think of this idea?

I think we need a new section for these types of topics specifically.

Fabrice and others with artistical talent outside the realm of building firecrackers please feel free to offer suggestions on topic layout.

I haven't made up any good laid out topics in a while so my skills have gotten rusty.

• 2 months later...

Its a solid idea Bill, but currently the poll system is pretty vague. How about creating a step-by-step setup where you select various details.

here are some suggestions for step selections, in no particular order:

1. make/model of card

2. preffered driver

3. which drivers you have tried

4. memory allocation for the driver (how much memory the preffered driver shares)

5. system info (RAM, CPU)

6. overall benchmarks

7. drivers that caused problems

8. any additional info users have

thats all i can think of off hand,, i dunno how practical this suggestion is,, just trying to help out.

PS. What about ATI? there seems to be minimal support for ATI cards.. i know they arent as popular as NVIDIA but recently ATI has really upped its arsenal, and i believe is a worthy competitor of NVIDIA.

PEACE!

• 5 weeks later...
Well guys, it's time to get this new fangled driver recommendation stuff off the ground. (kind of like all these pyrotechnic devices I have tried to get off the ground in my backyard :) )

How can we possibly make it work you ask?

Well of course the answer is community involvement.

A forum isn't just a one way web page, its designed for structured community discussion.

Now here is your way to give back to the community.

Go check out these topics, read the 3 part instructions, and post a recommendation or horror story.

Yes, it really is that simple. Even my cat could probably do it, except she is evil and has an ATI powered laptop. (not really but she probably dreams about them, she is evil after all)

GeForce 2, 3, and 4 series

GeForce FX series

GeForce 6 and 7 series

GeForce 8 series

I have for the most part separated the series out by hardware support of each major DirectX version.

So have you recommended a driver yet?

If your still reading this and you haven't your not helping the community.

If your really too lazy to post then just throw us some cash here and see if it fixes the problem.

Hey, it works for congress, why not us?

Hey there, good job guys, this could really help alot of ppl (especially if ppl actually used the poll :) )

One question though, why is it that when i click the 'GeForce 6 and 7 series' link it brings me to a page only about series 6 cards? Dont the drivers make any difference between series 6 & 7 cards?

it's splitted now: 6 has it's own thread and 7 as well

• 7 months later...
Guest tusnami2265

bill what drivers would you recommend for go 7400 128mb?i use 171.16 and i have no problems with that, but was just wondering which drivers would give me the best performance....the games i play are bioshock, graw, css, hl2, m2tw and trackmania.

i have 2ghz processor, 1 gig ram, using windows xp 32 with sp2 and latest directx 9.0c june update.

wow i didnt know that 7400 could play bioshock at a decent framrate

My 7000M can play Bioshock at a decent frame rate!

My 7000M can play Bioshock at a decent frame rate!

aww... andrew you got edited, anywayz do you think 8400m gs can play bioshock at a decent framrate?

8400m gs>> crappy 7000m! You should be able to work wonders with it.