LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Community Led Driver Recommendations-GeForce2 Go and GeForce4 4xx Go Series

Bill

GeForce2 Go and GeForce4 4xx Go series community led driver recommendations.

Well for those of you that haven't noticed, moderator led driver recommendation topics are bad ideas, so I think something else is in order.

In these topics YOU will post what drivers work good on YOUR graphics card(s). (Yes, some of us have the whole nvidia collection going)

How does this work you ask?

Well in this topic those of you who have tested drivers on a GeForce2 Go and GeForce4 4xx Go card, will post the driver version first that you have tried and that works well. You can also post one to avoid.

Next you should tell us what graphics card you have, and the make and model of your laptop, ect, or brand of graphics card.

Then last but not least you should post some notes about performance and quality.

Example: "This driver has really good performance in UT3." or "This driver has better quality than xx.xx in these games. (insert game list here)"

You should also post 3Dmark scores, ect if you have them in the "notes" section of your post.

If you do post 3Dmark scores, please tell us what version of 3Dmark you are talking about. (If you don't I will whack you with the mod stick)

Remember this is a community led recommendation topic, you have to post what works well for you, for the GeForce2 Go and GeForce4 4xx Go series.

If no one posts no one will have driver recommendations.

Even if you point out one good or bad driver for you card, you will have helped the community and will receive a nice thumbs up. :)

Well enough talk, let the posting began!

Note: I was originally thinking of separating the DirectX 8 GeForce Go 4xxx Ti cards from the DirectX 7 GeForce2 Go and GeForce4 4xx Go cards, but since we have quiet a few series these days they will both be here unless separation is necessary.

Edited by ®®®

GeForce 440 Go 64MB NV17: Driver Version 77.72

This is the card that used to be in my Dell Inspiron 8200 before it croaked out on Doom3 while I was on summer vacation.

Thoughts: This was the last driver I was able to try before the card croaked, otherwise I would be posting a newer recommendation for it.

The driver worked very well, ran games well, and TV out worked fine if I remember correctly.

While I was not able to test it on the card, I do think that the 77.77 driver might work a little bit better with a few bug fixes. You could also try 82.10, which is a nice Dell driver I use on my Quadro.

If you want proper vertex shader emulation on the card, you will have to use an old driver such as 42.58, but really, at this point you should just get yourself a new graphics card.

Quadro4 700 GoGL 64MB NV28: Driver Version 82.10

This is the card I am using at this very moment on my Dell Precision M50. I got this laptop by magically transforming my broken Inspiron 8200 to a Precision. (PM or email me for dangerous instructions)

Thoughts: This driver works so well I am still using it, it is a very fast driver at possibly the expense of some eye candy, but then again this card isn't known for eye candy anymore.

While I tried other 8x series and some 77.xx series drivers, as soon as I tried 82.10 with John's INF I stopped looking for newer drivers.

Thats right, I haven't tested the 84 series on this, I'm too lazy and it works already. Yes it runs FEAR, end of this story.

If thats not enough thoughts for you, TV out and other things work on this driver like they should using the modded Dell INF from John.

Guest eliphaz
GeForce 440 Go 64MB NV17: Driver Version 77.72

This is the card that used to be in my Dell Inspiron 8200 before it croaked out on Doom3 while I was on summer vacation.

Thoughts: This was the last driver I was able to try before the card croaked, otherwise I would be posting a newer recommendation for it.

The driver worked very well, ran games well, and TV out worked fine if I remember correctly.

While I was not able to test it on the card, I do think that the 77.77 driver might work a little bit better with a few bug fixes. You could also try 82.10, which is a nice Dell driver I use on my Quadro.

If you want proper vertex shader emulation on the card, you will have to use an old driver such as 42.58, but really, at this point you should just get yourself a new graphics card.

Thanks for the info. Do you mean a new laptop? I don't think the card on my Presario R3000 is replaceable.

Guest DSEyers

Except a shutdown issues driver 84.work fine on my Inspiron 8200 with GEGO 700 graphics card in it.

On shutdown get error with NVSVC.exe unable to write to memory on windows shutdown, but as a lot of drivers result in a line across the middle of the screen happy with this base line!

Will try newer drivers, but a pain have to boot to last good known configuration, sometimes VGA mode! when get line across screen.

I've have tryed some of the video drivers.

84.25 isn't working correctly with all games for me (bugs in Need For Speed 5)

My choise is 47.16 (yes, 40-series). All working with this driver, but later i'll try some new drivers..

• 1 month later...

84.25 seems to be the cause of a windows crash for me exiting certain fullscreen games (the report after crash blames nVidia.) Most often World of Warcraft but I don't run other games as often.

Compaq Presario R3000

GeForce 420GO 32M

I haven't found a driver that doesn't cause problems for me yet.

Try 47.16

Anybody test GeForce 4XX with newest driver (like 160 series)?

Comments? Are they works?

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Guest invisible

I have Toshiba laptop with Geforce4 420 Go, after trying many times, I have 71.90 version installed, so that I can play LineAge 2 on my laptop.

If anyone consider about other version, you can take a look at pinned topic about max oc for this card, the owner of that topic uses 71.89 instead.

Thanks all.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to thanks for the iniciative of this topic.

I have a Brazilian notebook with Geforce 2 Go graphic card, and want to know what modded driver I can install on Vista 64 system?

I don't care for 3D, because I wrote programms and java codes on 64 systems (Windows Vista is one of theses), but no driver that I tested work on Vista 64, except the Standard Windows Driver.

I've tried different drivers for Vista 32 and Xp64 the max that I can get is to work ok on windows, when I start any aplications, the drivers gets me to a BSOD.

The Standad VGA Driver, gives almost what I need, but the lack of custom Windows Resolutions (especifically 1280x960 and 1280x1024) makes my work very difficult.

Edited by pescador

• 1 month later...

Could someone recommend a driver for playing Guild Wars on an HP Pavilion zv5340us with a GeForce 440 GO? Right now I'm running what came with the laptop (72.30), but I've tried several other drivers, though I can't seem to find one that gives good performance without having graphics issues.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Well, I have Geforce4 420 Go 32M - I just had a problem with playing Lineage II, the game crashed when I tried to trade by npc :P ... 84.25 - the oblivion driver - did not work at all - the game became "polaroid" (blue flash screen every second) :)

I tried several others - 150+ does not work (it even causes problems on windows layout), so I experimented with a few above 84.25 and under the 100... The one and only that works for me really smooth is 94.22...

THX to this page for all the data and help :)

Try 47.16

Anybody test GeForce 4XX with newest driver (like 160 series)?

Comments? Are they works?

I have tried the 169 but my display gets messed up. Screen is OK for about 3/4 size in the top left corner with colored vertical lines along the entire right side and the very bottom show a duplicate portion of the full 3/4 size section. Freaky.

Latest driver I have been able to install, so far, is 61.76

Greb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Grebbler, welcome to the forum. You're likely suffering from the SEC3255 syndrome and have a Samsung UltraSharp LCD panel. You should use the 'Enhancer' tool to make an INF specific to your current driver and be sure to click on the SEC3255 support option to take care of the problem you describe. Then use the new & 'repaired' INF instead of what it was you used before to reinstall the drivers. That should fix the problem. I had it originally too!

Darmdorf

Edited by ®®®

• 3 months later...

I have been trying a number of laptopvideo2go drivers recently in an effort to transform my Inspiron 8200 into a windows media center edition media PC.

I have gotten the following drivers to install and boot up stably (though I haven't tested them with any games):

However, I run into some Windows Media Center Edition (Windows MCE) (Version 2002) problem with all of these drivers. All of these drivers have also supported proper 1920x1200 resolution on my external Dell 2405FPW monitor.

The 61.76 and 93.71 produce an error message when Media Center is opened (graphics card does not support media center), but the 94.22 drivers eliminate this error.

In the case of all three drivers, Media Center has trouble playing back non-DVD video (e.g. divx/xvid .avi files and .wmv files). The same videos play in Windows Media Player but produce an error message in Windows Media Center.

I've found that at least with the 94.22 drivers (I didn't try this method with the others), I can get around this video playback problem by opening Media Center by double-clicking on a .dvr-ms file recorded from another media center PC. When Media Center is opened in this fashion, the .dvr-ms file plays correctly and then so do any .avi or .wmv files that I play subsequently. Very odd, but it does get the job done.

If anyone knows of better Media Center drivers for the 440 Go, or if anyone knows of another way to get .avi/.wmv and other video files to playback in Media Center without this unusual .dvr-ms workaround, please let me know!

Guest moko

the one i like the best so far is 91.33 they have a bunch of custom resolutions already setup in them....been running it for a year or more....on my 1600 x 1200 display.....i like the preset 1366 x 768 for many hdtv sets to send so i got a 1:1 map pixel :)

Guest moko

i also installed divx,real player alternative,ac3 filter,and nero showtime player....i put these on all my pc's to help play all video files.

81.94 works very well on my Geforce4 440 32MB. Only problem I am having is getting it to bootup with the external display detected. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest FPS Whore

Dell Inspiron: Intel Pentium® III with SSE 1066MHz

nVidia GeForce2 Go

IRQ: 11 BIOS: 3.11.01.38.E1

TV Encoder Type: Chrontel 7007

Bus: AGP 4X

Memory: 32MB RAMDAC

DirectX: 9.0c

System RAM: 768 MB

Driver Version Information:

nv4_disp.dll Display driver 6.14.10.4482

nv4_mini.sys Display driver miniport 6.14.10.4482

nvoglnt.dll OpenGL installable client drivers 6.14.10.4482

nvcpl.dll Display Properties extension 6.14.10.4482

nview.dll Desktop management hook library 6.14.10.4482

nvshell.dll Shell namespace control panel applet 6.14.10.4482

I want to play Counter-Strike Source with a vengeance but my video lags big time.

I'm wondering what are the best drivers to get it running smoothly because I have

heard others with the same video card play HL2 and CS Source with no problems.

Also will Omega Drivers help me with this issue?

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I just want to get my system running HALF LIFE 2 & Counter-Strike Source smoothly

without video lag while playing online.

Thanks for any help,

email address: Darsideous yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
Guest barthibarth

Hi all.

I have a DELL Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce4 440 and 32MB + an external 1680x1050 screen (HP w2207h).

I had once the 56.63 which was okay. The problem was just that Windows was always switching between

both screens right after the start ending up by using either only one of them or both (all combinations).

There were no further problems, the 1680x1050 resolution worked well on the HP w2207h.

Now I have the 94.22 + .inf patch, as reported before, and it seems to work better after the start of Windows.

The configuration seems to be stable. Quake also works. :-) Let's see.

Greetings,

Cle.

Re all.

DELL Inspiron 8200

GeForce4 440 and 32MB

External 1680x1050 screen (HP w2207h)

Windows XP Professional

Wow, this is also a kind of science ... finding the correct video driver! :-)

So, the 94.22 is okay, no problems. The only thing is that videos on internet sites (youtube movies or news of journals in flash format) were a bit slow. Especially games like Quake III and IV were lame. I installed then the 84.25. During the installation, there were these nice "Lord of the Rings" pictures visible. Anyway, the video is definitely more fluid. The games are much more smooth now. No problem with the switching. I recommend the 84.25 driver + patch.

Have fun.

• 6 months later...

I have a GeForce2 Go 32 MB card in a monstrous inspiron 8200. Any recs for a driver that works under Vista/Windows 7 32 bit? I don't care about aero or 3D, just want to use the full resolution of the screen :) If anyone has had luck with the GeForce 440 Go in Windows 7 let me know, they're cheap enough to pick up on ebay.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an HP zv5000 (440 Go 64M) that I've installed the Windows 7 RTM on so I can play with it a bit without disrupting my main machine. Windows will only treat it as having a generic VGA display and will only go to 1024x768, not even up to the screen's "natural" resolution. Do I have any chance at all of shoehorning a working driver into this setup?

(Tried to NERD it, but the script didn't like W7)