LaptopVideo2Go Forums

First quad-core laptop hits U.S.

mobilenvidia

A monster laptop with a Quad Core processor and a dual 8700M GT any one ?

Probably completely hopeless with battery life and will no doubt burn your lap with a laptop hot enough to make burgers on.

But still, your friends would die with envy should you turn up with this beast at a LAN party :)

The Article came from NewsBlog

HOT:

Quad Core CPU

17" WUXGA screen

2x8700M GT's

3 Hard Drives with RAID 5

Blu Ray

11n Wifi

4.1 Speaker system

NOT:

12.5 lbs ouch

Battery life (not tested but will be less than a DVD)

Heat produced from all the HOTs above :)

But all the same I wouldn't mind one even to send back as a review (hint hint)

917_glam.jpg

Never mind that there's little-to-no software that can take advantage of four processing cores, Xtreme Notebooks has released the first quad-core laptop in the U.S. With no mobile quad-core parts in existence, the Xtreme 917V Accelerator turns to desktop CPUs, giving you a choice between the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and the Q6700. Pricing starts at $3,359. Other niceties on this gaming laptop/mobile workstation include: a glossy widescreen 17-inch display (up to 1920x1200 resolution), one or two Nvidia GeForce Go 87000M GT or 7950 GTX graphics cards, and up to three hard drives in RAID 0, 1 or 5 configurations. It ships with 4.1 speakers (yes, this beast has a subwoofer), a Webcam, and a hefty 12-cell battery, while giving you the option to add a Blu-ray drive, a TV tuner, and 11n Wi-Fi. You can outfit it with XP or Vista or opt out of a preloaded OS entirely. Xtreme Notebooks quotes a system weight of 12.5 pounds.

It all adds up to an unquestionably powerful laptop, but I'd like to know what the Xtreme 917V Accelerator sounds like when it's cooling a desktop CPU, two video cards, and three hard drives. I retired an old Dell laptop last year that used a Pentium 4 desktop chip; the thing was not what you'd call quiet.

Hopefully, our request for a review unit will be met with a positive response. Ideally, the Xtreme 917V Accelerator will occupy a spot in our labs right next to the diametrically opposed Asus Eee PC.

So is anybody else looking at purchasing this thing?

Anyone bought a laptop from them before?

I think my parents' credit cards need some exercise, they haven't made a laptop purchase in a while. :)

Old news man.

I've had my D901C for about 2 months now. They were out back in May of this year. 2007.

Clevo D901C

Sager 9260

Pro-Star 9191

Eurocom Phantom D900C

etc...many other Clevo resellers.

I got mine from PCMicroWorks.

Wu where is your review of this beast that we can post on the front page :)

• 4 months later...
Guest Charles Hurley

My feelings on my experience with PCMicroWorks and their BlackHawk laptop (10/2007-1/2008):

They delivered the laptop fast within 5 days I was totally stoked on the laptop and PC MicroWorks!

They delivered it with incorrect hardware (ABG instead of ABN) and didn't notify me which they said was my fault because I ordered the laptop without an OS and they normally put the paper in the box as part of the OS (Now you start to see my problem is with PCMicroWorks and their employees, it?s never their fault always the customers).

The laptop immediately black screened and locked up when put in SLI mode for Vista x64 which I explicitly asked if it worked and they said yes (Obviously they never tested it or did and decided to lie to me anyway).

They blamed the video problem on NVidia saying NVidia told them it worked so they shipped it. They also blamed this on me not ordering an OS for them to have installed (Oh by the way there site offers the laptop without an OS as the default choice). They also blame me for getting 4GB of memory and said the problem doesn't exist with 2GB (they never ask me to take out any memory to fix the problem? Also once again their site offers the 4GB upgrade for free at the time I ordered).

They promise me a working driver in a week or so and have me disable some features to get SLI to work which it never does.

Then they ship the new driver which basically has the same problems not as pronounced but still present.

After over a month they finally offer to swap the cards temporarily for 7950 which are not DirectX10 which is the main reason I bought this system and how it is advertised on their website.

I said I would take the cards if they would upgrade the 8700 to the 8800s coming out for my trouble and they would not commit but did send the 7950s.

Now during all this two SATA drives fail one after the other. They overnighted drives to replace them.

I have now spent more money and time on this laptop than it cost me originally ~$5,000.00.

Also the customer support is terrible. They are overly aggressive, blame the customer, refuse to take ownership of the problem, follow through is terrible; don't follow their written or oral agreements.

Back to the video problem so I hadn't heard from them in over a week so I decided to call and either say give me the 8800s with a working driver or take the laptop back. The customer support person was terrible. First off he started complaining about me wanting to game with the laptop, buying it without an OS again, and various other absurd, unprofessional , and just plain ridiculous statements like "we are taking care of you by going out of our way to do such and such" etc. This guy was unreal. He taunted me and finally after I told him I wanted to return the laptop offered the 8800s and told me I would have to get a new motherboard too. I told him no thanks not only do I not want it because of what has transpired (Especially the conversation with this customer service manager) now I really know PCMicroWork?s marketing gimmick of being upgradeable is totally mis-leading seeing you have to change the motherboard to upgrade video cards.

I tried to get a hold of upper management but they refused to let me through.

Needless to say I returned the portable and they gave me a full refund and all shipping was at their cost. They drew out the refund return (during the holidays the worst time for me to tie up 5K of mine, affected my 8 year old daughter?s Christmas) and once again broke their written agreement on that. Even though they think they made me whole they are not even close with the time I invested.

I write this because before I bought the laptop from PCMicroWorks I searched for info on the company and their support and found little to none. If someone had written an article like this I may not have made the purchase.

There are plenty of other companies out there that sell similar systems based on the exact same core Clevo system that will provide much better customer service and support and not waste your valuable time and money.