LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 8600M GT Overclocking

janvitos

Whew, what a long week.

I received my Dell Inspiron 1520 a few weeks ago, and i'm finally happy with the product i bought.

These are the specs of my notebook :

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz

- 2GB DDR2-667 MHz

- GeForce 8600M GT (475 / 400)

- 160GB @ 7200 RPM

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

I've encountered some problems since i received it but everything is working just great now.

First i realised that for some reason, when the laptop is plugged into an external display, the video card looses roughly 15% of it's processing cabability.

I also have been getting the nvlddmkm.sys error, but i localised the problem to Valve games only so it is not a hardware deffect.

With these problems "solved", i could now move on to overclocking.

Using ATI Tool and a great guide found here, i was able to achieve a good overclock with significant FPS / 3D Mark score increase.

3D Mark 06 (Stock 475 / 400 with 158.45 Driver) : 3342

3D Mark 06 (OC 625 / 480 with 158.45 Driver) : 4094

3D Mark 06 (OC 625 / 480 with 169.04 Driver) : 4334

Temperatures have only gone up 2-3 degrees celcius from 67-68 to 70 after a few hours of gaming.

For the ones who have a similar configuration and are looking for a solid overclock, i really recommend the guide i mentioned earlier.

Follow it well and you should be able to get surprising overclocking results.

Enjoy !

Edited by janvitos

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fahd03

• Laes

• maxrh

• Jack Oneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How you can lose speed when using an external monitor?

If you only use one display at a time, and at a certain resolution, it should perform the same using a different video output at the same resolution.

Unless you are using clone mode, in which case that is the expected and designed behavior. Using dual view or span modes but only running a game/CAD program/ect on one monitor can also affect performance slightly.

If this is some strange vista or driver bug you should tell us how you fixed it.

How you can lose speed when using an external monitor?

If you only use one display at a time, and at a certain resolution, it should perform the same using a different video output at the same resolution.

Unless you are using clone mode, in which case that is the expected and designed behavior. Using dual view or span modes but only running a game/CAD program/ect on one monitor can also affect performance slightly.

If this is some strange vista or driver bug you should tell us how you fixed it.

Unfortunately, the bug has not been fixed.

Hence, that is why i stated 'solved' in quotes.

I was never running in dual monitor mode, always one (1) monitor at a time.

This problem has been hapening since i bought this notebook.

I've tried many drivers, tweaks and tips but whenever i use the external display, standalone, i get a 15% FPS / overall performance drop.

The external LCD monitor is plugged into the VGA port of the notebook.

I never understood this problem myself, as i know that an external display should not affect the performance of the video card itself.

At first, i though my video card was underperforming, but i soon realised the contrary when i did some benchmarks / gaming on the notebook's native LCD.

Edited by janvitos

I'm really curious as to how you managed to use ATITool on this card. I have a Vostro 1500 (Essentially an Insprion 1520) and ATITool refuses to detect anything regarding the card.

I'm running 163.75 drivers under Vista Home Basic.

I'm really curious as to how you managed to use ATITool on this card. I have a Vostro 1500 (Essentially an Insprion 1520) and ATITool refuses to detect anything regarding the card.

I'm running 163.75 drivers under Vista Home Basic.

Your driver is the problem.

Try using 158.45; 16x.xx don't allow for overclocking.

Make sure you are using ATI tools .27b2

I had .26 installed and it said windows wasn't even using a card. And of course you need 158.45

Grabbed the 158.45 drivers and have been using RivaTuner (until I just read this thread regarding ATITool .26)

Combined with the Targus Chillmat I have for this thing, it stays pretty cool while overclocked and each 2mhz increase grabs me a few extra marks. This is great!

I need some help desperately!!!

I managed to overclock (using power strip) my 8600m gt to 650/480 giving a 3d06 mark of 3645 (original was 2941) GREAT!!!

I started playing fear extraction point.... the FPS was great (around 90)

HOWEVER, after a few minutes FPS went back down to 25 and remains until i restart the game!!!

i did not change anything, i tried atitool too, but had exactly the same result

could anybody help me... plesss

is there anyway that i could fix the FPS so that it remains high

what is the reason behind the drop?

thank so much

Guest The `Dreamer
I need some help desperately!!!

I managed to overclock (using power strip) my 8600m gt to 650/480 giving a 3d06 mark of 3645 (original was 2941) GREAT!!!

I started playing fear extraction point.... the FPS was great (around 90)

HOWEVER, after a few minutes FPS went back down to 25 and remains until i restart the game!!!

i did not change anything, i tried atitool too, but had exactly the same result

could anybody help me... plesss

is there anyway that i could fix the FPS so that it remains high

what is the reason behind the drop?

thank so much

Your GPU probably runs too hot and throttles back lowering the Mhz and decrease your performance.

To much anything is bad.

I like how we can overclock our card to be faster than the 8700M GT. Everyone here seems to run so hot. I run stalker maxxed out except for view distance (cos the furthest makes no difference to play but does to performance), Bioshock maxxed out in DX10, BF2142 maxxed out, all ay 1600x1000, excetp 2142 which is 1600x1200 as it doesn't support widescreen.

I think its a great card. I've OC'd mine to 640/480 (960) and still run at around 55C after about an hour of gaming.

After flashing my vBios to 600/480, I have a 3dMark06 score of 3808 with the new 169.01 driver. Definitely better than the 3115 with 163.75 and stock frequencies!

After flashing my vBios to 600/480, I have a 3dMark06 score of 3808 with the new 169.01 driver. Definitely better than the 3115 with 163.75 and stock frequencies!

any special reason for stoping at 480mem clock? I could easily reach 530mhz and temp. doesnt even go higher than 55 degrees.

Im using 169.01 with a 8600M gt 630@527 (last clock ive tried...ill try to increase it later)

3DMark2006 - 4257 <-- best so far with windows XP. Didnt try same clock with Vista yet.

Seems stable so far. :)

Thanks

3D Mark 06 (OC 625 / 480 with 169.04 Driver) : 4334

You follow this guide from bjorn3d but you didnt flash your bios right?

Did you OC on windows startup using rivatuner?

Because when i try that, install 169.04 or 169.01 and OC with Riva 2.06 or .05, after pressing OK the settings return to default.

any special reason for stoping at 480mem clock? I could easily reach 530mhz and temp. doesnt even go higher than 55 degrees.

When i scan for artifacts with ATI tools, it stays clear till 480. Above it i get artifacts.

I managed to step the clocks up to 610/515 using nTune now - ATiTool reports errors above that. Temperature maxes at 60 C, so it seems to be due to limited voltage/power and not overheating.

I managed to step the clocks up to 610/515 using nTune now - ATiTool reports errors above that. Temperature maxes at 60 C, so it seems to be due to limited voltage/power and not overheating.

on which drivers?

Edited by Sylvester

Edited by Jack Oneill

Hello guys, i'm new here

well, i have a DEll Vostro 1700, so with the same videos card that you all have > a 8600M GT

i tried to overclock it with rivatuner, powerstrip, ATI tool and nTune, with the 169.04 drivers, with all these programs i could overclock my card but only until 515/470

if i try to go up, an run a game or 3d mark 06, i have a crash, with a reeboot or only the game the shut down and very poor performances after that, if i dont reboot the computer,

so my question is simple > why i cant have higher frequencies ?

i d'ont understat this, moreover, i saw an other guy, in the forum of the site "les delliens " (i'm french) who managed to have also those high frequencies, its saying 620/480

with the same notebook i ahve and the same configuration

and finally when i see the frequancies they are very low > 56/58°

so, is this a BIOS limitation ?

Im desperate to know how can you play bioshock all set up to high? got fps 30-40 with 800x600 everything on low, same thing in moha and crysis. If I set up my settings in bioshock high the fps is around 5-10 and its awful. Got asus g1s and 169.04 drivers

Hello,

my problem is fixed, i've uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled only the 169.04 with rivatuner 2.06 and for the moment, i'm at 600/475, 3815 points with 3D mark 06

nevertheless there's something strange, when i use the rivatuner graph, with temperature, clocks, etc. , it says me that the core clock is 650 ! , even the temperature is pretty good > 55°

so is it the truth or riva tuner is doing a mistake ?

well i've talked too fast

i does not work, at 600/470 , in 3 d mark and all the games, the driver crashes , windows tells me that "the driver nvlddmkm as crashed and has been recupered" and the GPU returns to underclocked frequencies

i do not understand why, it is due to the drivers ? to windows ? to the grafic card ?

it happens when i overclock the card, is it because she's too hot ? because rive tuner tells me the the card stay at 56° or 57, may be the cooler is badly fixed on the GPU with too much thermal paste

can anyone aswer me ?

Dude.. check the boards first.

Anyways, you might want to take a gander at this.

you need to download both the driver as well as the inf.

1) Extract the driver to a folder.. say nvidiadriver for example.

2) uninstall ur present driver from add remove programs.

3) reboot

4) Navigate to the place where you downloaded the inf file and copy it into nvidiadriver... it will ask you whether you wanna replace the pre-existing file, select yes.

5) Run setup.exe and after installation reboot.. :)

6) Play a game!!

@janvitos

Dude, the links you posted and all the other advice you gave regarding OC-ing was AWESOME!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520

C2D 1.5Ghz

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

Windows Vista Ultimate x86

8600GT 256MB

I tried my hand at OC-ing the card yesterday and these are the following results:

Using drivers 158.45:

Stock: 3d Mark 06------> 3069 (@475/400)

OC#1: 3d Mark 06------> 3695 (@615/450)

OC#2: 3d Mark 06------> 3802 (@630/500)

Using drivers 169.04:

OC#2: 3d Mark 06------> 4190 (@630/500)

hey guys, maybe you can help me with my problem..

ive installed the 163.44 drivers and ATITools 0.27 b1

- Running Vista Ultimate x86 on my MacBook Pro 15"4 with GeForce 8600M GT

Ati Tools seem to work fine when i run "Find Max Core" and "Find Max Mem", but when it reaches 470/635 it just stops rising, i dont get eny artifacts and ati tools keeps trying to "Find Max Core/mem" with out reporting eny errors..

but atleast i got it from 375/502 to 470/635... But it seems from what ive read in diffrent forums, that its normal when u clock a card, that when it reaches the cards max it starts finding artifacts.. In my case

there are no artifacts, just somekinda invisible barrier ..

anothing thing is, ive seen 3DMark06 benchmarks for this card with a rating around 3300-4300.. even after i got the card to 470/635 i cant get higher then around 2800 :/

eny ideas?