LaptopVideo2Go Forums

World in Conflict - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

world33

Hello :P ,

I keep having issues with the nvlddmkm driver when playing World in Conflict.

My system is:

• Dell Inspiron 1520
  • Windows Vista 32-bit
  • 4GB RAB
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 256MB RAM

I installed the 163.44 driver from this site and followed all installation instruction.

Sometime the game crashes even if my game video settings are set to a reasonable Medium level.

Is there any better and more stable driver to choose specifically for World in Conflict and my video card? :)

Thanks for your help and suggestions :)

Fab

Added later: Read this for the nvlddmkm.sys issue.

Fab

Edited by world33

I had the same problem. I took the nvlddmkm file from the new driver's folder and put it in the windows/system32/drivers folder, which replaced the old nvlddmkm file already in there. Then I restarted the computer and that was it. Oh, and you may want to save the old nvlddmkm file in the windows/system32/drivers folder just in case.

Thank you very much guys,

I installed the 163.69 VISTA 32bit driver by following the Quickstart guide and using the modded INF and it is working smoother and faster now.

No crash up to this time. I will post again if i encounter any problem.

I highly recommend it for this game and similar operating system+video hardware. :)

Cheers,

Fab

Edited by world33

Talked too soon. Same problem. I tried both 163.69 and 163.75. It crashes also at low resolution. Does anybody know a solution for the driver and/or Vista?

Edited by world33

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a solution and post it for the community.

I installed the Vista 32 bit 158.45 driver and along with WIC patch 002 seems to work smoother.

The reason I choosed that driver is because it allows to overclock the 8600M GT card using the ATI tool 0.27 beta2. Apparantely all 16X.XX drivers do not allow to overclock unless you go for bios overclocking.

By using the ATI tool 0.27 beta2 (do not use the 0.26 version) I choosed to overclock with the following settings:

CORE 615 and MEMORY 495

It is a pretty safe and it increases performance when playing World in Conflict. Some people have tried higher settings (see forum post link below) but I prefered not to increase the card temperature too much. Just a conservative approach.

Further information on overclocking can be found at this overclocking guide and in this forum post.

Hope it helps.

Fab

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I finally solved this issue.

I installed the new beta Vista 32-bit driver 169.04.

Hopefully they solved this annoying crashes.

Fab

Hi please write to us whether it solved the problem or not. I have the same problem. I am trying the mentioned driver 169.04, and so far no errors. But often, it occurs just after you said "YES".

So two persons testing is better than one. :)

Edited by abcdefg

Hi please write to us whether it solved the problem or not. I have the same problem. I am trying the mentioned driver 169.04, and so far no errors. But often, it occurs just after you said "YES".

So two persons testing is better than one. :)

Yes it is working fine here. Never had a crash since I installed it.

It was about time they found a solution at NVIDIA.

Fab

Guys i have one question, Do we use the same modded inf file for all the versions of drivers?