LaptopVideo2Go Forums

External 37" LCD recognized as a "Laptop Display"

blah238

I have a Dell XPS Gen 2 notebook with GeForce Go 7800 GTX and an internal WUXGA (1920x1200) LCD and an external LCD monitor connected via DVI (Westinghouse LVM-37w3se, 1920x1080p). I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 and LV2G's INF for 163.76.

Using the NVIDIA control panel, the following menus do not recognize the external monitor correctly, it is recognized as an additional "Laptop Display".

• Change resolution
  • Change flat panel scaling*
  • Adjust desktop color settings*
  • Rotate display
  • Manage custom resolutions*
  • Set up multiple displays
  • Adjust video color settings*

Of the menus that show two "Laptop Displays", only a few of them actually apply changes to the second "Laptop Display". On other menus, marked with an asterisk, changes to either of the two "Laptop Displays" only affect the notebook's built-in display, not the external monitor.

The multi-monitor setup wizard, display optimization wizard, and the NVIDIA system tray all recognize my LVM-37w3se properly, however.

In the stock Dell 84.69 drivers the monitor is properly recognized in the NVIDIA control panel, however I need to use up-to-date drivers for some of the games I play.

I've attached the NVDM.inf file, which is the Dell Mobile equivalent of the nv4_disp.inf file. I've also attached the nv4_disp.inf file for comparison, since I suspect there might be some INF differences causing this behavior.

Anyone ever heard of this problem and know of an INF tweak I could try?

NVDM.INF

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by blah238

Hi blah238,

I have a similar problem which I think is related to the latest driver's failure to extract EDID of external monitors connected to the DVI/HDMI port. See my post:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15419

Check the Display key in the registry and look for a proper entry for your Westinghouse. If it is not there and you find instead a default monitor key, then it is most likely an XP display driver issue.

Hope Teraphy or others would kindly look into this problem.

post-14805-1192774461_thumb.jpg

Edited by mariner

Hi blah238,

I have a similar problem which I think is related to the latest driver's failure to extract EDID of external monitors connected to the DVI/HDMI port. See my post:

<a href="http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15419" target="_blank">http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15419</a>

Check the Display key in the registry and look for a proper entry for your Westinghouse. If it is not there and you find instead a default monitor key, then it is most likely an XP display driver issue.

Hope Teraphy or others would kindly look into this problem.

post-14805-1192774461_thumb.jpg

I have literally hundreds of built-up monitor entries, so I'll have to delete those and see what's there afterwards.

Alright after I deleted them, reinstalled and rebooted, I get two "Default Monitors" with BAD_EDID with all 00's but also an LPL0000 (my notebook LCD) and a WDE14FA (my external) which both have good EDIDs.

So I don't know what the hell is going on.

Well in order to determine whether it's something in the INF causing this I tried installing 84.69 with the modded INF, but I get a BSOD as soon as log on to Windows. Disabled coolbits in the INF before installing too, so that's not it.

I just wish I knew what everything in the INF did... so I could mix and match lines from Dell's INF with the modded INF for the latest driver. Anybody tried something like that before?

Hi blah238,

Thanks for the feedback.

Meanwhile, you could try running the NERD diagnostic. I suspect the old driver will complete the EDID extraction, and the new driver will fail.

Time to call in the NERD team.

I get the same issue with my 20 inch widescreen monitor on any driver past the 150 series. I have since gave up on them and gone back to the dell 101.19 where it works perfrectly for me

I get the same issue with my 20 inch widescreen monitor on any driver past the 150 series. I have since gave up on them and gone back to the dell 101.19 where it works perfrectly for me

It's gotta be something in the INF file. We need an expert to help us go through it and pick out a few tweaks to try and fix this.

Here's the UltraCompare difference result between the two files. Obviously there are a LOT of differences, but maybe someone with a keen eye can spot the important ones.

Left file = NVDM.inf (DELL 84.69), Right file = nv4_disp.inf (LV2G 163.69)

<! indicates that data is in the left file but not the right file

!> indicates that data is in the right file but not the left file

* indicates that data is different between the compared files on the indicated line

NVDM_8469_vs_nv4_disp_16376.txt

Edited by blah238

anyone? this is driving me :) :P :)

Edited by blah238

Just to narrow things down I've tried adding/changing the following lines (bringing lines from the Dell INF into the LV2G INF). Still two "Laptop Displays"... however it did start making the NV control panel crash very frequently.

HKR,, OverlayMode2,   %REG_BINARY%,   52,00,10,00
HKR,, OverlayMode3,   %REG_BINARY%,   00,00,00,00
HKR,, RMMaintainTVStandard,%REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, RotateFlag,%REG_DWORD%,	4
HKR,, UseBestResolution,   %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, DFPAsDefaultMonitor, %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, NV11MLFNT, %REG_DWORD%,	2
HKR,, PanScanSelection,	%REG_DWORD%,	2
HKR,, SBIOSHandlesHotkeyInhibit,	 %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, UseSingleSurfaceSemaphore,	 %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, LidBehavior,    %REG_DWORD%,	0x11
HKR,, EnablePersistenceStorage, %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, RmMaintainScaling,   %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, WidePanelBehavior,   %REG_DWORD%,	0x30
HKR,, UseCVTReducedBlanking,    %REG_DWORD%,	0x80000020
HKR,, MVNumKeys, %REG_DWORD%,	0x80
HKR,, HotKeyUseOSResolution,    %REG_DWORD%,	2
HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled,   %REG_DWORD%,	2
HKR,, DetectedDevsCacheTime,    %REG_DWORD%,	0x1194
HKR,, ExternalSSDeviceRestore,  %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, ResetPolicy,    %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, nvEDIDPruning,  %REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, RMOnDemandVBlank,	%REG_DWORD%,	1
HKR,, LogicScalingMode,	%REG_DWORD%,	0x4
HKR,, PMMClockOverlay, %REG_DWORD%, 2
HKR,, PMMClockOverlayDevs, %REG_DWORD%, 0x20000
HKR,, RMEnableMPSync,    %REG_DWORD%, 1
HKR,, ,  %REG_DWORD%, 0x01010101
HKR,, ModeUnionEnable,	 %REG_DWORD%,	2
HKR,, RMInduceDeviceScan,  %REG_DWORD%,	1 
;HKR,, SoftEDIDs, %REG_DWORD%,	1 (did not exist in the Dell file so i commented it)

That is pretty much all the 7800GTX-specific stuff I could find in the Dell INF, so the problem must be something in the LV2G INF, or the drivers themselves.

Thing is, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing or what most of these settings do so I'm really just pissing into the dark. Please help. The bananas are everywhere.

:) :P :) :rofl: :P

Edited by blah238

Woohoo! I got it.

NvCplForceDFPToEvaluateAsLVDS is responsible for this madness.

I went up to 163.76 using the latest INF, went through the INF from bottom to top, fortunately this line was near the bottom and popped out at me. Changed this one line to 0 and reinstalled without uninstalling, rebooted and VOILA!!

NvCplForceDFPToEvaluateAsLVDS.png

The last two menus weren't even there before ("Change Signal" and "Resize HDTV desktop".

Edited by blah238