LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Blu-Ray playback broken with all non-WHQL drivers?

Anchel

Umm... I just noticed something important in reference to drivers [edit]here at laptopvideo2go.com who are not WHQL certified (aka all BETA, unofficial and also modded).[/edit]

I have a Sony Vaio FZ21S with a Blu-Ray Disc reader and I have the Click Blu-Ray movie, which worked flawlessly when I first tried it on the laptop.

However, once I installed the 169.01 drivers or even these ones, the movie wouldn't play. At first I thought it was because of an update I had installed for Intervideo WinDVD BD for Vaio, so I tried to reinstall the original application, but still couldn't play it. I then tried with Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra, but it gave me another error, but this application specified what it was about a little bit more.

THESE NEW BETA DRIVERS CAN'T OUTPUT COMMERCIAL BLU-RAY MOVIES

As you may know, commercial Blu-Ray movies have a special protection-copy system that disables playback of the movie when it detects a different output than the one the movie is prepared for (I don't know exactly how this system works, so feel free to correct me on whatever I may be wrong). It seems that these beta drivers somehow make the computer think the output is different, and so it disables the playback of the Blu-Ray movie.

However, when I install WHQL certified drivers, the movies DO play correctly.

As of lately I'm using Blu-Ray movies a little bit, so I've switched to drivers 156.69 using the original INFs.

I hope this info on Blu-Ray playback can help other people. But remember however that I may be wrong on the reason why the movies don't play correctly on these new drivers. PowerDVD certainly gave me an error related to the graphics card not allowing the playback of the movie when using 169.01 and 169.04 drivers.

EDIT: I can finally confirm that Blu-Ray movies don't work on non-WHQL drivers. I just tested a few more driver sets and so far only the WHQL ones work, while the other ones say that my graphics card isn't compatible.

Damn Sony and their stupid copy-protection systems. It's ok for me if they want to stop copying of movies, but why does the end-user who has paid for the movie have to suffer the copy protection?

Edited by Anchel
enhanced title and first sentence

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cdx47

• P.J

• LSudlow

• Anchel

Top Posters In This Topic

I have exactly the same problem! I installed 169.04 and games like Bioshock now work. However, with this driver I cannot get Blu-Ray disks to work. If I rollback the driver then Blu-Ray works and I'm unable to play games! I'm toying with the idea of trying a couple of other players but I suspect that you are correct and that the problem lies with Blu=Ray's copy protection. If it is, it stinks. I have a valid copy of Bishock and a free Blu-Ray Spiderman 3 disk and they will only work depending on GPU driver! That's crazy. Anyone come up with a bit of code that can switch drivers in a click of a mouse? :)

Maybe you should try drivers 167.43 which you can find right here.

Those are SONY specific drivers and can work with Blu-Ray movies and Bioshock as well as with most of the rest of the games.

And you don't have to use a modded .inf either, it just works as it comes when you download it.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that this also applies to HDDVDs as well. I wander if there is a way to make a modded inf WHQL by adding the appropriate CAT file?

They're encrypted and the algorithm for documenting the contents of the WHQL package is unknown. I've learned to never say "never" but, it's pretty unlikely.

OK how about adding some lines to a desktop INF so that it can accept laptops and "maybe" stay WHQL

That's the problem. Changes to any WHQL inf breaks the WHQL. Adding a new inf breaks the WHQL. Looking sideways at the driver package breaks the WHQL. ...You get the idea.

Lacking some kind of breakthrough, I don't see any way to work around this, which of course is what was intended.

Something weird happened to me related to this:

I was trying 169.28 drivers (which obviously couldn't play Blu Ray because of the WHQL "breaking" as you call it when using the modded inf. Anyways, I installed some other drivers later on, but didn't like them, but INSTEAD OF UNINSTALLING OR ROLLING BACK, I used System Restore because there were some other things I wanted fixed back to the way they were (things not related to nVidia in any case).

Well, guess what, Blu Ray playback WAS WORKING on 169.28! The drivers were giving all the performance and characteristics of those drivers, but at the same time they were playing Blu Ray movies... I thought by then that maybe I had been confused and those drivers did somehow support my card for WHQL and didn't even check anymore. I even watched up to 4 different Blu Ray movies in two weeks and it was working PERFECT.

Until yesterday when I followed somebody's instructions here of uninstalling my drivers and installing again to get overclocking (my laptop somehow can't overclock... that's lame). The point is that after uninstalling and re-installing the 169.28 drivers I couldn't play Blu Ray movies anymore. So yes, that's it. Somehow the System Restore disabled the WHQL check or something.

If somebody can investigate this maybe we could learn some way of allowing Blu ray playback without WHQL. I myself don't know enough about computers to check it myself, but maybe somebody would like to try this and help out the rest of the community.

I hope this was helpful!

Anchel, that's potentially very helpful indeed. It's the very kind of workaound we're hoping to find.

If you (or anyone else) can duplicate this, please let us know. Thanks!

:)

So I got another idea :)

I knew the 169.24 is the latest desktop WHQL driver. But of course I couldnt install it without the modded inf which breaks WHQL. But what if I use the Microsoft Have Disk method? Well after checking the inf I did exactly this. I tried as best as possible to choose the desktop version of my GPU (there were at leat 4 different ones with different device and subsys details).

Its working! I have a recent desktop driver on my laptop and it is WHQL! Dont know about games but for fliks it definately has made a difference. I thought my PQ couldnt get much better. But "it seems" like the post processing has been enabled or tweaked in this driver and produces an even more stunning HD pic.

That's the problem. Changes to any WHQL inf breaks the WHQL. Adding a new inf breaks the WHQL. Looking sideways at the driver package breaks the WHQL. ...You get the idea.

Lacking some kind of breakthrough, I don't see any way to work around this, which of course is what was intended.

Excellent! That's one of those solutions that seems obvious once someone else has thought of it.

Well done!

:)

it has been mentioned numerous times on this site thatf the drivers are in essence the same for both desktop and laptop. Also in the forums I read how 169.28 has Powermizer working then in theory what I did makes sense.

I have yet to play any games so it will be interesting to see what happens if I do. My Vista experience wont go above 3.5 for graphics no matter what driver I install :) I guess the 8400 has its limits.

I read read on another forum how someone frigged thier inf file and used the Have Disk method to install the driver. One I realised the frig wouldnt work for my purposes, that just left the Have Disk method. The rest below followed.

Great! So there are definitely some ways to solve this!

Good one, cdx47! I'll try that as well

My card is a GeForce 8600M GS, and I did get it working. I'm using drivers 169.25 WITH WHQL and Blu Ray movies work (HD DVD ones should work as well).

You just have to download the drivers either from here or from nVidia WITHOUT USING ANY MODIFIED INF!!

Then use the HAVE DISK method of installing drivers (Go to PC -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Graphics Adaptor -> Properties -> Update controller software ----> from there just choose that you will specify where the drivers are in and then select "Choose from a list of drivers" and finally USE DISK).

This will show you a list of all the compatible graphic cards for that driver. Yours won't be listed, but you can choose a similar desktop one like the GeForce 8600 GT and choose OK. It will install those drivers with the WHQL certificate and everything will work fine.

Thank you again cdx47 for your discovery! It is being of great help!

That's an awesome solution and I don't think I would have ever tried it. HD-DVD playback works perfectly on my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro with a 8600M-GT using 167.59!

I still havent played a single game on my laptop yet :) . I just saw a jagged edge in one of my films so I surmised that the latest graphics drivers would have improved scaling algorithms. Looks like I was right. I didnt know so many people were waiting for this :)

I actually do want to play some games as this was the other reason I tried this little hackette

So I will play some games.........at some point........soon.............hopefully......

Edited by ®®®

Guest Buttonmasher

I updated to 169.25 using the have disk method and Blu-ray still doesn't work. I checked DXDIAG and it says the driver is WHQL???

Can anyone confirm which driver they are using and where I can get it (that works with blu-ray)? I couldn't find 169.24.

Ignore me I sorted it - downloaded the driver direct from Nvidia and worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

171.12 wooohooo!!!!! :

Definately better performance. Works with T2 BluRay which is/was a very noisy film. It looked crappy on my laptop and OKish on my LCD. This driver "seems" to make the background noise go away so now it looks great on my laptop. :) It will be interesting to see this on my LCD.

edit: Watched a bit more of T2. Still grainy as hell but some parts do look better. BTW is PowerMizer enabled on this driver. It is said to be in the 169s. Is it also enabled in the 170s?

Edited by cdx47

Hi guys,

New here and a total noob when it comes to this modded INF drivers. Hopefully I've come to right place for help.

I have an older Dell XPS M170 with Geforce Go 7800GTX, I just installed a blu-ray reader, Installed Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and due to my system being non-HDCP compliant I installed AnyDVD HD. Every looks good until I get an error from PowerDVD telling me I need to update my driver. The Cyberlink Advisor gives me all green lights (some yellow) but a red on drivers. My question is which driver should I install for my lappy that is Vista 32 friendly that will install on an older video card? I would like to do try what you guys are doing here but need advice on which driver to download.

Thanks in advance

OK T2 definitely looks much better on the bigger screen.

171.12 wooohooo!!!!! :

Definately better performance. Works with T2 BluRay which is/was a very noisy film. It looked crappy on my laptop and OKish on my LCD. This driver "seems" to make the background noise go away so now it looks great on my laptop. :) It will be interesting to see this on my LCD.

edit: Watched a bit more of T2. Still grainy as hell but some parts do look better. BTW is PowerMizer enabled on this driver. It is said to be in the 169s. Is it also enabled in the 170s?