LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Control Panel Crash

shinji257

If your control panel is crashing this registry patch will take it. It changes the NoPages setting to 40000000 hex. This should work on any future versions as well. I found this on the DNA-Force 169.04 driver derivatives where the control panel worked but the LaptopVideo2Go version did not for the same driver version. I also tested this on the NBF MobileForce version where they have the same crash problem (their inf files are derived from LaptopVideo2Go modified inf files). They all appear to work fine afterwards. Should not affect any graphics tweaks you may have.

Save to your desktop and apply the patch to make the correction. Only do this if you are experiencing the crash. If someone that does not experience the crash could see if the actual display looks any different between the two post some screenshots please? Maybe this might be incorporated into future inf files.

NOTE: Only tested on XP SP2 32-bit. Not tested on Vista 32-bit/64-bit or on XP SP2 64-bit. I've attached screenshots of the crash in question so you can see what I was talking about specifically.

NoPages_patch.reg

post-17350-1197497130_thumb.png

post-17350-1197497151_thumb.png

Edited by shinji257

Just manually tested this myself, I see no feature change in the control panel. This tweak used to enable extra pages in the drivers way back when.

I have occasionally gotten a crash when running the control panel, but then it runs fine the next time I try to run it afterwards.

The default for the value with my OEM mobile series 156.55 drivers is 40010000.

With Pieter's newer INFs it IS 40000000. He must already know about this.

Actually, *checks INFs again* it is listed twice in his current INFs. First time it is listed it is 40000000, second time it is listed it is 0.

So the final value in his INF is zero.

This would explain the problem.

Edit: I just changed mine to 0 and still no change in crash frequency or feature set.

Future updates will have this fix added to the INFs.

Good to have feedback on fixes, been to busy with the server problems of late to do any testing.

Cheers for the post, much appreciated :)

Just changed 169.17 and 169.21 with the original NoPages value 0x40000000.

Well the Original INF will detemine the value.

Just manually tested this myself, I see no feature change in the control panel. This tweak used to enable extra pages in the drivers way back when.

I have occasionally gotten a crash when running the control panel, but then it runs fine the next time I try to run it afterwards.

The default for the value with my OEM mobile series 156.55 drivers is 40010000.

With Pieter's newer INFs it IS 40000000. He must already know about this.

Actually, *checks INFs again* it is listed twice in his current INFs. First time it is listed it is 40000000, second time it is listed it is 0.

So the final value in his INF is zero.

This would explain the problem.

Edit: I just changed mine to 0 and still no change in crash frequency or feature set.

Thanks for checking. I had checked all the drivers and it always crashed so I needed to figure out why it did. I also checked the one over on Notebookforums.com (their NBF MobileForce tweaked set) and their inf also has it. Makes sense since their inf is derived from the one here at LaptopVideo2Go.

Future updates will have this fix added to the INFs.

Good to have feedback on fixes, been to busy with the server problems of late to do any testing.

Cheers for the post, much appreciated :)

Just changed 169.17 and 169.21 with the original NoPages value 0x40000000.

Well the Original INF will detemine the value.

Cool. Glad to see my research paid off.

EDIT: Wow. Can't believe you posted that on the front page. First time anything I've posted has made the front page of any website. :) Thanks!

Edited by shinji257

Good deeds do not go unwarrented here :)

Enjoy the red carpet the fast cars while it lasts.

Guest Jez_Gafys

Worked Perfect, I have the Dell Latitude D820 and tbh I think every single version of drivers where I use a modified INF would cause a crash when trying to launch the control panel. Only the original Dell ones would allow you in. Making this change to the registry corrected the crash.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest acemtp

Really great, I tested 10 versions of the driver on my Dell Inspiron 9400 on XP 32b and on all, I had the control panel crash.

After using this reg patch, I can start the control panel!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

FAQd