LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XP Drivers for HP Pavilion DV9610US

Guest Nazo

My aunt just got a new laptop, a HP Pavilion DV9610US without really discussing things with me (if she had I would have picked someone more like Dell since they actually let you choose XP.) She really doesn't want to use Vista though. Besides all of the problems that some people are running into, the plain fact of the matter is that Vista just isn't at all ideal for laptops with their 5400 RPM harddrives, mobile video chipsets, and so on. That and she just doesn't really like it, nor does she have the time to deal with learning the new changes.

The only problem is that HP makes it quite clear that they don't give the slightest hint of a care for their customers that would rather be using XP. It seems that, as others have already run into, this is a chipset that isn't normally supported by nVidia directly in XP. When the drivers even install, they still leave out everything beyond the most basics. No network, no sound, and so on. From reading over previous posts, I did notice the suggestion of manually installing the ethernet drivers. Well, that solves one of the many driver problems. That still leaves all of the others though. Such as the sound (which she will want.) Also, what about the wireless? It seems to be a BroadCom chipset, but I don't see any identification to point me to which driver to use there. While installing the ethernet drivers manually was easy -- I just replaced the item that showed up as network controller with the nVidia ethernet controller driver -- all of the rest is unknown (except for one that just shows up as "PCI card" which I assume is the wireless.) I can't really install manually when I don't really know which driver to select...

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Who said there were no drivers? I think this still begs the question of whether or not it really uses hardware that has no drivers... For example, I refer you to some of the other threads at the top of this forum...

The fact remains most chipset makers just are not writing drivers for newer hardware for 2000/XP. It's really give and take and as the topic I wrote explains clearly, you really should do research FIRST before you downgrade, making absolutely sure you have drivers. Some devices may actually have drivers, but some may not.

Example:

You buy a GeForce 9950 GTX graphics card for a system you're upgrading with XP on it from a GeForce 7950 GTX. You get it installed and pop in the driver CD but during installation it says your OS is not supported by this device. You check at Nvidia's website and find they also have no drivers. Now you're stuck at a dilemma. Do you A. Stick with XP and find a graphics card that is suitable and supported, or B. Upgrade to Vista to use your graphics card?

This is what people keep asking in various topics all over this forum. Why can't I find XP drivers for this device? The answer is there aren't any and if you can't get them off the Windows Update Catalog driver website then quite simply the OS can't support that piece of hardware. I constantly check that site before I post about things here if I can't locate a driver from the OEM and chipset maker.

Most of what I hear is related to audio for Sigmatel, Conexant, and others where drivers for XP just simply do not exist, or they are limited function drivers meant to "just get it working". Sadly soon enough this list of hardware is going to grow and very rapidly.

The fact is Vista is getting the maximum level of support from vendors while XP is entering it's golden years and peaking at it's abilities. Gamers, developers, and system builders are alike are looking at DirectX 10 support, modern games, and weighting their options on rather to use DirectX 9.0 or DirectX 10. Most are choosing DirectX 10 and while patches do exist to help out gamers minimally, eventually it's not going to be enough. Microsoft has even said they are not releasing another DirectX for 2000/XP/2003. DirectX 10.1 is due out soon after SP1 anyway and with it XP is going to literally get the shaft.

While your aunt my not want to learn another OS, Vista is very similar in function to XP once you disable Indexing and UAC and is a fully reliable OS. Just do what I did and disable those two features and uninstall any unwanted programs from the PC itself.

Vista has issues but most of them are overly hyped by people who aren't knowledgeable or experienced with the system. They mostly point to flaws like these, but here's my answer to those:

1. DirectSound lacks EAX. Actually Creative cards now have OpenAL and ALchemy to substitute it out and more vendors are looking into OpenAL.

2. OpenGL in Vista is crippled. Actually the new ICD in Vista used by vendors is AeroGlass supportive and still contains all the functionality as required by the OpenGL ARB specification as they have from previous OSes.

3. Indexing is a system hog. It is but all you have to do is right-click you hard Drive in My Computer and turn it off.

4. UAC is annoying. Yet it can be disabled in User Account options in the control panel.

5. Most software doesn't work with Vista. True a lot of older software doesn't but there are patches and workarounds like the hardware compatibility layer.

6. Most PCs come with bloatware. So uninstall the software you won't be using.

7. My system won't run Vista. Then upgrade it's components to meet the minimum requirements.

8. There are too many versions of Vista. Honestly you'll never need anything more than Home Premium and the built-in DVD support is a nice feature rather than having to buy a Decoder and Burning software.

9. XP is faster. Actually it all depends on what you have running and the hardware you use so the better hardware and less you have running the faster your OS and PC will perform.

10. Vista requires so much of a system. XP was the same way when it came out, 2000 and ME did as well, so really it's nothing new and it happens every time a new OS is released.

I can honestly say I too was skeptical of Vista until I learned how to tweak it up to par and get it running right. Now, I'd rather have Vista than XP, and all I did was give it a chance, and learn how to use it.

Edited by whitetigerx7

If you don't mind, can we not turn this into a Vista vs XP discussion? There are quite enough of those on the web already and we certainly aren't going to come to an answer in what was meant to be a laptop driver discussion forum. In the end, does it really matter which one is "better" if the user does not wish to use it? Let's not be the people who say "no, you must use what MS tells you to, not what you want to." Vista is far too new to force people to upgrade unconditionally just yet. Even things that right now may have only Vista drivers may not always be this way. Just look at how long Win98SE/WinME held in there (despite the fact that WinME was meant to sabotage Win9x...)

Example:

You buy a GeForce 9950 GTX graphics card for a system you're upgrading with XP on it from a GeForce 7950 GTX. You get it installed and pop in the driver CD but during installation it says your OS is not supported by this device. You check at Nvidia's website and find they also have no drivers. Now you're stuck at a dilemma. Do you A. Stick with XP and find a graphics card that is suitable and supported, or B. Upgrade to Vista to use your graphics card?

Very well, to borrow your metaphor to refer to the situation at hand, let's say that you don't know that there are no drivers for the 9950 GTX -- perhaps there are. All you know is that it shows up as "uknown device." Should you really abandon XP and jump straight over to Vista because of an unknown device, or is it really such a horrible evil to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to make it work and perhaps asking others for a bit of help rather than immediately abandoning it?

While your aunt my not want to learn another OS, Vista is very similar in function to XP once you disable Indexing and UAC and is a fully reliable OS. Just do what I did and disable those two features and uninstall any unwanted programs from the PC itself.

Actually, she's co-owner of a small business that, right now, can't afford to hire people to make custom software or this sort of thing. Her problem is far less learning Vista and far more a matter of software compatibility and just generally needing the laptop to at least run fairly decently (which Vista definitely isn't ideal for on a laptop.)

If you don't want to help, fine. No one's forcing you to, so just say so. Better yet, why even post in the first place since it's just a waste of your time anyway? But patronizing someone just seeking to get help isn't really going to make matters any better...

Anyway, I'm sorry I thought I migh get help in a forum dedicated to laptop drivers. If asking for help getting such a laptop to work acceptably is such a taboo subject in this forum, I'll just go elsewhere. But I'm not going to abandon it just because it's not as easy to figure out whether or not there are XP drivers as it is for a system designed for XP. Actually, you would be rather surprised just how much I have gotten to work in Windows 98 Second Edition in fact, so I'm not giving up on XP at the first whiff of a driver problem until I know for a fact that there are and will not be drivers for the particular hardware in question.

It's not that we can't offer help that you find acceptable, it's when we have already came to many conclusions and have tested and retested various scenarios in relation to the subject you have discussed and have an issue with. You came asking for help and we offered at our best knowledge. If you don't like the answer then I'm sorry you feel that way. Don't shoot the messenger because of the message. Sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

As for the XP vs Vista, I have not done this as you claim. I simply pointed out the facts in relation to the issue with hardware, compatibility, and common misconceptions. If software compatibility is an issue for Office related products she is using then you and her will find that many applications used for Office software and productivity still work quite well on Vista. Most of compatibility issues are centered around legacy Windows 95/98 era gaming applications only.

Many of us here have attempted downgrades to XP, myself included, and I learned the hard way some of my laptop was not even supported by XP's drivers. Some of which was so much I had to restore it to Vista to regain it's full usage again. It's not just having an "Unknown Device", it's when that "Unknown Device" is a key system component required for maximum usage such as Video cards, LAN cards, Modems, etc. some people can not do without.

None of us here want to use what Microsoft forces upon us, but until a uniform standard for laptops is created in terms of hardware used, hardware supported, and software installed we all are quite stuck in a bad situation. I myself prefer Linux and have a desktop used in my home as the household PC using Slackware 12 quite well and yet it too came with XP when I got it.

This may not be the answer you wanted or expected but next time you do ask remember the answer you get is not always what you want to hear. Take it good or bad, I don't mind. Regardless I consider the matter closed.

• 4 months later...
Guest Dgib
My aunt just got a new laptop, a HP Pavilion DV9610US without really discussing things with me (if she had I would have picked someone more like Dell since they actually let you choose XP.) She really doesn't want to use Vista though. Besides all of the problems that some people are running into, the plain fact of the matter is that Vista just isn't at all ideal for laptops with their 5400 RPM harddrives, mobile video chipsets, and so on. That and she just doesn't really like it, nor does she have the time to deal with learning the new changes.

The only problem is that HP makes it quite clear that they don't give the slightest hint of a care for their customers that would rather be using XP. It seems that, as others have already run into, this is a chipset that isn't normally supported by nVidia directly in XP. When the drivers even install, they still leave out everything beyond the most basics. No network, no sound, and so on. From reading over previous posts, I did notice the suggestion of manually installing the ethernet drivers. Well, that solves one of the many driver problems. That still leaves all of the others though. Such as the sound (which she will want.) Also, what about the wireless? It seems to be a BroadCom chipset, but I don't see any identification to point me to which driver to use there. While installing the ethernet drivers manually was easy -- I just replaced the item that showed up as network controller with the nVidia ethernet controller driver -- all of the rest is unknown (except for one that just shows up as "PCI card" which I assume is the wireless.) I can't really install manually when I don't really know which driver to select...

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Ok in must case no matter what laptop you use you should try to go Back one model number ie .. try another from the year before with the same model ie 9610 use the 9010... It worked for me without a fuss.... good luck

• 1 year later...
Guest unclemuir

I also have a dv9610us came with vista downgraded to XP using HP/support. All the drivers needed were there. Six months later decided to reinstall Vista in dual boot. Again drivers were available from HP/support for vista. Two months ago got rid of XP . I got to like Vista more than XP. added a second hard drive and all drivers came from HP/support. are you doing something out of order? I bought my first computer three years ago from HP and can only say good things about their support site.

UNCLEM

• 1 month later...

d drivers are easily available dude.............jst have a chat session with one of the supoort staffs and they will surely help u....i did d same..............trust me they r gud at it.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Window vista is really a mess not your Hp try to get xp or win 7.