LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking 8700M GT 512MB card

Guest Tiack2

Guest Tiack2

Hello all. I just wanted to know if overclocking a laptop video card is very difficult. I've never done it before, so ive no idea what is involved. Or is it even worth overclocking the 8700M GT...will I really get a noticeable difference in gaming if this card is overclocked? If not I will just stick with updating the drivers every few weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi guys, there is no problem in overclocking these video cards. I've got the 8700m 256MB and overclocked it till 750/1020 Mhz (core and memory) using riva tuner. My based score is 5200 and when overclocked i can go up to 6200 at 3dmark06.

I was using the 169.09 drivers and it worked well.

Let me know about what you get to do.

Cojy

Hi guys, there is no problem in overclocking these video cards. I've got the 8700m 256MB and overclocked it till 750/1020 Mhz (core and memory) using riva tuner. My based score is 5200 and when overclocked i can go up to 6200 at 3dmark06.

I was using the 169.09 drivers and it worked well.

Let me know about what you get to do.

Cojy

-Can you give us some tips or get us started on overclocking them...because I have never done it before and I am not sure how much to overclock it and when to stop, or if I have to watch out for the temperature either. :) Also, are there different tools to do this with, or one that is best to use? :) (maybe for overclocking beginners). Thanks for any help! :P

As I said, i've been using riva tuner, in the "main" tab in driver settings, customize you can open the system settings where you will be able to oc your card. I advise you to oc the memory and then the core clock (and shadder in the same time, they are linked, do not unlink them). You can oc the memory till 975Mhz without any pb. Then normally the oc is made increasing by 10Mhz the frequencies of the core clock, but as i said you can go up to 750Mhz.

Here are the frequencies I know working 655, 700, 725 and 750 but off course the frequencies between these will work as well.

I haven't tried with newer drivers, maybe you will be able to oc it a bit further, try increasing by 5Mhz after 750. The only risk then is to freeze the screen and when you'll have to reboot the settings will be set to the original ones. So do not check the option load settings on startup :) it's of course unchecked by default.

I'm waiting for your 3dmark06s scores.

Cojy

As I said, i've been using riva tuner, in the "main" tab in driver settings, customize you can open the system settings where you will be able to oc your card. I advise you to oc the memory and then the core clock (and shadder in the same time, they are linked, do not unlink them). You can oc the memory till 975Mhz without any pb. Then normally the oc is made increasing by 10Mhz the frequencies of the core clock, but as i said you can go up to 750Mhz.

Here are the frequencies I know working 655, 700, 725 and 750 but off course the frequencies between these will work as well.

I haven't tried with newer drivers, maybe you will be able to oc it a bit further, try increasing by 5Mhz after 750. The only risk then is to freeze the screen and when you'll have to reboot the settings will be set to the original ones. So do not check the option load settings on startup :) it's of course unchecked by default.

I'm waiting for your 3dmark06s scores.

Cojy

Ok, I will download Rivatuner and try this weekend. With the settings you stated above, do you have any temperature problems with the card? And are you sure that I will not damage my card by overclocking it? I only ask because the 8700M GT is an overclocked version of the 8600M GT, so I thought if it has already been overclocked that I would not be able to take it any further...but what do I know. :)

Noticed something weird,

Installed rivatuner and it seames to crash 3dmark06 like every time, i havent done any overclocking just monitoring the gpu temperatures. might go back and use ntune.

btw using 196.04 and getting 8254 on 3dmark06 not overclocked.

Wow indeed it is weird ! I see that the 8700 sli is well working !!

Overclocking reduce the lifetime of the component (that's what is said) but i think it's particularly true for the proc since it is always used in spite of the gpu which is only overclocked when you play. However, oc is normally not dangerous when you just try it sometime to see the perf you can obtain, it's only a software oc and not a hard one so it's not really dangerous.

I've heard about the 8700 as a overclocked 8600 but when i see the results of the 8600, the 8700 is far batter than the 8600 and always better than a oc 8600. I think the architecture of the bus is not the same one and we may have differencies inside the chip.

As far as temperature is concerned i have to say that when my card is not overcloked i'm a 54°C, but when ovreclocked it goes up to 56°C, so I assume that there is no pb :)

I've never go over 60°C even after playing crysis in overclocked mode during an hour after playing other games in normal mode.

Riva tuner is no longer finding my frequencies with the 169.28 drivers but worked well with the 169.09 and 3dmark... hope you'll get to do somethin anyway.

Cojy

EDIT : i've seen this on a forum : "Note, I normally run OC'd at 625/525/1250 I find this clock to be extremely stable, with low temps and a huge performance jump playing games..

3dMark06 score with 625/525/1250 maxed at 4123." and he seems to have same or better proc and a 8600mGT 256MB. So we get at least 20% better with the 8700 (not counting the cpu score) and at max (for what i've seen) 40% (with 5200pts) and with the same frequencies. So what is a huge oc for a 8600 isn't the basis we get with the 8700 (luckily).

Edited by cojy

OK, well I have tested out my machine on 3DMark06 without overclocking it yet. I have Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.8GHz, 3GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT 512 MB (1279MB Turbocache) and Windows Vista Ultimate. I tested it 3 times and my highest score was 5137. I have downloaded Rivatuner and opened it up to check it out, but it looks a bit complicated for me, so I found a guide online to set your fan and overclock the card, and also shows how to monitor the temperature of the card. I know you say that I can set the card to certain settings without troubles, but I just want to make sure that I don't damage my laptop. I have spent a whole crapload of money on it and I would really like to just be safe and make sure it can handle it. So forgive me if I take a while to get a score for you, but it may take me a while to figure out how to access the fan settings in Rivatuner and get everything working the way that I want. :) I will give you my score as soon as I get it working :)

Download NTune from Nvidia, it's easy to use via Nvidia Control Panel.

Download NTune from Nvidia, it's easy to use via Nvidia Control Panel.

Well thank you very much for suggesting this tool!!! It looks much easier, though I do have a few questions. I really only need the CPU, Graphics Card, and maybe the Memory to be overclocked....so would I choose the Quick, Complete, or Custom Tuning options. Would the Quick 20 Minute Tune be good enough to set my system to a good overclock level with increased performance? Also about these profiles it makes....do I have to load these or select them somehow to get the overclocking to work, and also if I reestart my computer once in a while or when I get updates for it and it wants to reboot will the profiles still be working when it reboots, or will I have to select them everytime I reboot or shut the laptop down? And one last thing....do these tuning options take into consideration the temperature of components and also adjust the fan speeds, or will I have to do that myself after? Again, thank you for the advice and I could really use a bit more help with this tool. Thanks soooo much!!! :)

ATM my current driver has no CP, so no NTune :) But that 20min option is probably a good start to get some feel where to start. I bravely went with 3 steps from 800 (mem) to 1000, which is a little too much, must now test where the somewhat safe max is. And core 625 to 740 so far tried, brobably not much more will work (Quadro1600M).

ATM my current driver has no CP, so no NTune :) But that 20min option is probably a good start to get some feel where to start. I bravely went with 3 steps from 800 (mem) to 1000, which is a little too much, must now test where the somewhat safe max is. And core 625 to 740 so far tried, brobably not much more will work (Quadro1600M).

Ok...so should I even bother overclocking the processor? Maybe I'll just stick to the Graphics card for now. So for just the graphics card I will have to choose the Custom Tune option right? I have an idea of where a safe overclock is for my card from the posts above, so should I just go right for that one, or take in in a few steps to get to that level? I guess I will also have to adjust the fan after too, hey?

There's mostly no easy option to overclock the CPU as the bioses dont' allow to do changes there. A Toshiba x200/8700/512 GPU on this site has easily been clocked to 748/1022 with safe temperatures. My HP/Quadro 1600M has absolute ceiling on about 780+/990 - going over causes the core to freeze or memory errors visible on the screen. So about there´s the ceiling. Quite a margin of about 20%. But may depend on the batch of chips used by the manufacturer.

There's mostly no easy option to overclock the CPU as the bioses dont' allow to do changes there. A Toshiba x200/8700/512 GPU on this site has easily been clocked to 748/1022 with safe temperatures. My HP/Quadro 1600M has absolute ceiling on about 780+/990 - going over causes the core to freeze or memory errors visible on the screen. So about there´s the ceiling. Quite a margin of about 20%. But may depend on the batch of chips used by the manufacturer.

Well, I have heard from some people that I should not overclock anything in a laptop at all for fear that it will burn up, but I imagine there are a lot of others who do it and have no trouble. So I decided to leave the CPU and memory alone and just overclock the GPU a bit. A few people said to use Rivatuner instead of nTune because they thought nTune would screw up my computer... so I may use Rivatuner instead. I think I will overclock to 730MHZ for the Core and 950MHZ for the Memory. Its a bit lower than others have done to their machines, but I think it will be safer to have it a bit lower. I'll be happy if I get even a slight inprovement, as long as my laptop is going to be OK. Anyway, I was wondering if you have any experience with RivaTuner and if you could maybe give me a few step by step instructions on how to overclock the Memory and Core of the GPU...like how much to do it at a time and then how to check if it's safe for my system, and maybe just some help with how to increase my fan a little bit to keep it a little cooler. (I acutally have 2 fans on the Toshiba X200). I hope you can give me some advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I have heard from some people that I should not overclock anything in a laptop at all for fear that it will burn up, but I imagine there are a lot of others who do it and have no trouble.

My guess is it depends on your laptop design. My HP 8710p (Quadro 320M = 9600M-GT) runs pretty hot when gaming anyway, the fan is so loud and fast I could take it down the lake and use it as a hovercraft. So I'm not inclined to OC it, and besides you may find it voids your warranty.. check to make sure damage thru OC overheating is warrantable. My guess is not.

Guest swaydogg

i have an alienware m15x laptop 2.2 ghz core 2 duo 800mhz FSB and 2 gig DDR2 667mhz ram

8700GTm 512mb GDDR3 vid card

i used ntune and overclocked to 775/960mhz these settings are running very stable on crysis using all medium effects and running at 800X600 resolution

it looks good

and the core temperature when gaming is at 72 celcius

when not gaming its at 61 degree celcius

try these settings

they worked for my laptop

Nice OC, i've never been able to go that high for the core frequency. You should increase the memory frq to 1050Mhz, this should work without any pb and you'll get a nice increase of perf.

By the way, you should also increase your def in crysis (at leat 1280*800), put all settings to high except shader and shadows (I set both to low or middle as far as shadows are concerned, but without any oc). The right column won't decrease your fps at all ! It just makes the proc work a little bit more.

Cojy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest H3tz3r

Hi@all

I´m sure that anyone here can help me.

I have a Nexoc Osiris e705 II, 1GB ram(667mhz, 2gb will be added at next weekend), 8700gt 512mb, C2D t9300.

At the moment i use the 169.09 dirivers and got ca 5300 point at 3dmark06, with the original drivers only 4800. But my Problem is that my nvidia control panal is crashing sometimes. If i want to set the gpu clock to "manual overclocking", the selction is lagging and i must restart the control pannel. I only can change the gpu if push the button "find optimal clocks" first. Oddly the optimals (core and ram) are lower then the standards. And if i want to see the motherboard infomations the control pannel crashs immediately.

Could anypne help me. Is the ntune verion 5.05 the best or should i take any other?

Have anyone of you problems with the control pannel too?

You are lucky to get 169.09 to overclock in general - for most users it didn't overclock at all; 169.04 was the last one to OC. Then 169.28 and later probably. But the latest 174.31 seems promising. Recommended to try.

You are lucky to get 169.09 to overclock in general - for most users it didn't overclock at all; 169.04 was the last one to OC. Then 169.28 and later probably. But the latest 174.31 seems promising. Recommended to try.

No better oc with 174.xx serie, same as previous, limited at 756 as far as clock is concerned. Just a little improvment in the 3dmark score and ingame but really small, the improvement is rather interessant under vista.

Good drivers, but not far better.

Cojy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The following scores are with two different drivers, 174.31 and 174.90, using RivaTuner to over-clock the 8700.

I tried using the 174.93 driver but I would get lower scores then using the 174.90 driver, so I stopped using it.

The following are with the CPU over-clocked ( from 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz ) and the Ageia PhysX 100 Card disabled.

Nvidia ( 625/1250/800 ) 174.31 Driver without SLI - 5461 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 700/1400/900 ) 174.31 Driver without SLI - 6016 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 725/1450/900 ) 174.31 Driver - 7901 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 725/1450/900 ) 174.90 Driver - 7983 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 750/1500/800 ) 174.31 Driver - 7996 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 750/1500/900 ) 174.90 Driver - 7883 3DMarks

The following are with the CPU over-clocked ( from 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz ), the Ageia PhysX 100 Card enabled and using the Nvidia 174.90 drivers

Nvidia ( 625/1250/800 ) - ???? 3DMarks

Nvidia ( 725/1450/900 ) - 9937 3DMarks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6987092

Nvidia ( 750/1500/900 ) - 10044 3DMarks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6987628

Nvidia ( 775/1550/900 ) - 10223 3DMarks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6987865

Nvidia ( 775/1550/925 ) - 10284 3DMarks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6988537