LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver server shutdown again

mobilenvidia

We are once again too popular and Lunarpages has now disabled the Driver drirectory on our server.

I'm quickly transferring the 165, 167, 169, 171 and 173 series driver to another server shouldn't take too long as most of the drivers are already there.

250 people at once downloading form the server is crippling their server.

So much for 15TB per month bandwidth.

So for now all older drivers are offline.

And there is a good chance the newer drivers may cripple the identical server.

I am in a pickle with what to do with these drivers.

[uPDATE I]

Right to put it very simply our issue is not Bandwidth it's CPU resources.

There are simply too many users grabbing files at once.

Our server is uploading 180GB of drivers per day when busy as with new drivers over the last 2 days.

180GB per day is less then 6TB per month which is less than 1/2 the maximum that Lunrapages allows.

Lunarpages does not allow 250 users to hog a servers CPU resources they would prefer 1 user to grab 15TB of files.

What we need is a dedicated server to put the drivers on.

This server would need to be a high bandwidth account.

CPU, hard Drive would not need to be top notch.

The driver server needs no Database software or any PHP or other software.

It just needs to pump out 180GB of files, nothing else.

Our best bet is an unmetered account possibly as low as 10mbps uplink, would mean slow downloads in peak times but at least the drivers are there.

If you have access to or know of an account like this, or are willing to help share the cost or would like advertising in exchange of .... let us know.

Torrenting the files would mean a big CPU server to handle all the requests and run the trackers.

Rapidshare, simply too cumbersome to be of practical use.

There is a very good chance that the drivers will be completely off line within a day.

I've already had a ticket from Lunarpages on the server where I've pointed the 165+ drivers.

Once this happens there will be no more drivers till we work something out.

why don't you upload them to a 1 click filehoster just as www.zippyshare.com ?

i can put driver on rapidshare if u're interested :)

rapidshare sucks, i'm in a network with 2000 people and only one ip towards the inet, so if anybody makes a download from rapidshare, nobody can dl something from there for the next 90 minutes^^

Guest Guesthebig

torrent! It's very efficient, and I don't think anyone wouldn't mind seeding long enough for everyone else to get their drivers.

in the meantime, does anyone have a link to/wouldn't mind uploading the latest 169.09 xp x86 driver? :)

some tell it sucks :) but torrent isn't a bad idea...i think it can works

why not using a filehoster? the hoster will be happy if a file produces a huge traffic. and the download speed is also better. i download files from zippy share with up to 2.5 MB per second, not MBit, MByte!

Anyway, choose a method you like, just bring 'em back on^^

Edited by Tomcheck

torrents is a terrible idea...

not everyone uses torrents, and i dont trust torrents anyway.

just need more BW i guess... laptopvideo2go needs to find sponsors ~ i think its time your marketing team sells Laptopvideo2go (not the rights just the idea or it in general) to some manufacturers, and or gaming websites ect. and get some 3rd party spport for more bandwith, perhaps at the cost of more adverts and stuff. or registrations on other sits.

Guest Huge_problem

God pls, my Laptop is really messed up (Alienware Aurora m5700). I wanted to install a new driver Version, so I could have been able to fix that S-Video-out bug (only black and white). I uninstalled the original OEM-Driver and wanted to install a new one (original from nvidia-homepage). Can't install, and wanted to get a modded driver from here. They are all down. I have WinXP and a Geforce 7900 GS in my laptop. Please upload something that fits to rapidshare or something else.

:)

With the 15,000 GB Traffic :)

Umm, I think we were using Lunarpages with the 15TB and yet still got hosed because of the load of downloads more so than the bandwidth of them

We have 3 15Tb Lunarages accounts on the go.

Now all of them have some restrictions on them

Our problem now is too many users online at once down loading 3

Remember we're on a shared server (the $25/m) Business package.

We can only use 2% max of the processor resources and same for the RAM.

So what LP they would prefer you to use th 15TB bandwidth with 1 connection for the month.

Will somebody pay us for the time to upload ~1000 driver files (average size ~30MB) to a "one click hoster" or BT... and then update all links in the forum and our database? Also we need to download the drivers every here and there to update the driver with new found files, OEM INFs etc..

Really, this is no solution.

We would have done this already 4 years ago... if it would have been a practicable solution, but it is not. We decided for hosting them properly. The recent bandwith problem with Lunarpages will hopefully be solved eventually.

How about setting up a network of mirrors?

I'm sure some of the community members operate a dedicated server (like me) and could help out with some gigabytes.

For example my dedicated server hosting plan has 1TB included and I only use 150-200 GB each month.

You could have 1 main mirror that provides the files to all the other mirrors via rsync and/or ftp and other mirrors which get the files every night. I will gladly assist you in setting up such a mirror network.

This would have several advantages: You save Bandwidth and CPU and Community Members from other countries could profit of mirrors in different countries.

Greetings from Germany,

Felix

Guest doubleblack

I'm not sure on the specifics for the LunarPages account, but my thinking is doing somekind of like a remote SSH file mount onto say the forum server and that way that connection stays open, and people will be actually connecting to the forum server which then is the only one that communicates with the LunarPages account.

But obviously a dedicated server would be the best bet, but for a dedicated server with unmetered bandwidth it can get awfully costly...

lol @ your suggestion doubleblack.

and no, it doesn't have to be very costly for a colo. especially only a 10Mb/s line.

i still don't see how it wouldn't work great with Coral though, but whatever.

Mirroring is all fine and dandy for us a year ago and more.

last month we used 4TB of bandwidth, a year ago we were less than 1/2 that.

even if we have 4 servers doing ecactly 1TB each (very unlikely) this would mean each post would need 4 drivers links

if a server was to drop off the mirror list would then have to go back and remove that mirror from all the posts possibyl adding a new one.

The administration of this could get nasty.

I had a look at Colo, the setup is not to bad to buy but the bandwidth is horribly expensive.

Can somebody tell me where could I download 156.83 Nvidia laptop driver for XP 64 bit? It seems that here is the only place, and the link doesn't work, help, please! :)

even if we have 4 servers doing ecactly 1TB each (very unlikely) this would mean each post would need 4 drivers links

if a server was to drop off the mirror list would then have to go back and remove that mirror from all the posts possibyl adding a new one.

This is incorrect. When you Use Apache2::Geo::Mirror Module [1] (which is only needed on the master server (loadbalancer)) you only need one link. All the mirror addresses are kept in one single file which can be easily updated. The master server itself will then delegate the download to the closest mirror available. I'm not sure how this will scale with the needs of lv2g but I'm sure this could be a solution, since the master server would only need to handle the requests and then redirect the client to another mirror. Another advantage is that not only HTTP mirrors but also FTP mirrors can be used with that single link. FTP server from my experience perform much better on high volume sites (especially vsftpd).

Mirrors could be contributed by close members of the community and put under some sort of agreement (regarding data integrity and sychronization) so the mirrors are always trustworthy and up to date.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Felix

[1]: http://search.cpan.org/~rkobes/Apache-GeoI...2/Geo/Mirror.pm

Edited by Heffer