LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Modded INF external monitor

Redempt

I downloaded the latest drivers here (169.61) and installed with it with the modded INF. It works ok for my laptop, but when I connect an external monitor the screen gets weird. I need to scroll to see the whole desktop on the external monitor, the laptop dont got problems. This is the case with 1680*1050, native res for both screens, all res below do work properly.

I also tried the latest laptop driver (167.58) without modded INF and that one works, but the performance is worse.

It looks like the problem is the modded INF, is there some kind of fix for this?

Edited by Redempt

Guest Richard Brown

I had the same problem where my laptop's native resolution was 1920x1200 and my external lcd monitor's native resolution was the same but my laptop would look fine but my external monitor's resolution would be 1600x1200. The only thing I found that would work was to boot up my laptop with the external monitor disconnected from the laptop. Once the laptop was booted up, I'd connect the external monitor to the laptop with the laptop turned off. Then, on my laptop, I'd hold down the Fn key and hit the F7 key. I think that is suppose to shift the display between laptop's screen and external monitor's screen. Then both would display at 1920x1200. I think some drivers do work and you don't have to do that but I know the 169.28 drivers didn't work and that was my work around. I'm in the process of downloading the 169.39 drivers now and hopefully I won't have to do that. Hope this helps

Hi guys,

So im not the only one who has the display problem on an external monitor. Which connection way do you use: VGA or DVI/HDMI????? The driver that worked great with my external 1920x1200 Dell LCD was 163.71. Now I've got a new graphics card built in and the digital connection is gone and only the VGA works fine with every single driver.

Guest Redempt
Hi guys,

So im not the only one who has the display problem on an external monitor. Which connection way do you use: VGA or DVI/HDMI????? The driver that worked great with my external 1920x1200 Dell LCD was 163.71. Now I've got a new graphics card built in and the digital connection is gone and only the VGA works fine with every single driver.

Ive got an hdmi slot and using an hdmi to dvi cable. Ill try out the 163 drivers tonight.

• 3 months later...
Guest Alto
Hi guys,

Hate to bump an old post, but i'm having a similar problem.

I have a Dell 2405 FPW and an Alienware m7700 with a Geforce 7800 GTX. The new drivers work perfectly except for this issue. Both the monitor and laptop screen run at 1920x1200.

Any help would be super appreciated.

Thought I'd chime in here. Thanks to one of the persons above who suggested plugging in the monitor after startup. I have my external monitor working correctly.

I have an Gateway HD2200 at 1680x1050 running off a Macbook Pro bootcamped using dvi. It use to lock into 1280x1024 and show only part of the desktop. Its a pain in the butt to plug in every time but at least it works.