LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v174.74 VISTA 64bit | NVIDIA (incl. >40 ODM/OEM INFs)

mobilenvidia

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

Edited by ®®®
added our WHQL logo to post

literally identical performance (in 3dmarks) to 174.53, for me. 3dmark run right before and right after update.

seems to have removed smartdimmer in vista power options, not that I use it anyway.

Guest Guest

What's the difference between this beta driver and the 174.74 beta driver at nvidia.com? I did notice that this download is 39.17MB and the one at nvidia.com is 49.6MB...Which one is better? Any help would be appreciated

The version here has the OEM INFs included (in the zip) nV has only desktop support, ours also has international support (nV 50mb=english only)

Other than that the drivers are the same.

Keep in mind we compress the drivers a lot more than nVidia do, so our fully features drivers are still smaller than nV's english only

If you unzip both, this one will actually be bigger, interestingly - 7zip wins overall, but the nvidia has, within the zipped installer, compressed system files (i.e. nvd3dum.dl_ compressed vs nvd3dum.dll here). In the end, identical.

Guest Mystery_Man

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! These finally install on my 8800M, all of the lower drivers will not install. I think having the proper .inf helped as well. Thanks again!! :) :P :)

If you unzip both, this one will actually be bigger, interestingly - 7zip wins overall, but the nvidia has, within the zipped installer, compressed system files (i.e. nvd3dum.dl_ compressed vs nvd3dum.dll here). In the end, identical.

I have to correct this statement as it#s misleading. After extracting our compressed archive of course it has to be bigger as we have about 100 additional (localized) files included.

Our internationalzied packed archive is even minimal smaller compared to NVIDIA's english package.

Since about 4 years we work with and enhance our automated packing procedure using 7-zip. Every byte counts :) The drivers here are the smallest you can get (without making a science out of it).

Guest iceangel89

i do have benchmarks. just did it

on my Acer:

- Intel C2D T9300 2.5GHz

- 4GB DDR2 667

- GeForce 8600M GT

- Vista x64

3DMark06: 3943 3DMarks

3DMark06-2.jpg

PCMark05: some tests like HDD test failed? read its becos of WMP11? nt sure but the others were as below

3DMark06-2.jpg

Performance Test 6.1

3DMark06-2.jpg

are the results good for my specs? what other tests can i run?

and oh i rmb... when i 1st restarted after installing the driver, i get part of the screen blacked out... but it soon recovered... in like <5 seconds? is that ok? dont want to be damaging anything

and ...

i know this is a stupid question but isit safe? what difference will it give as compared to my acer 1? better performance maybe? but lower battery life? since its modified from a desktop driver?

by the way would u guys reccon i use XP or Vista? and 32 bits or 64bits? < abit off topic...

Guest Guest

Only driver I have gotten a BSOD with. Not positive it is due to this particular driver but have a hunch. All crashes have occured with Windows Media Center running. 0x0000001116

These now have WHQL certificate, yes?

Asking as post doesnt include a tick next to WHQL

Not good...

In my 'personal' testing with a few NVidia units at home (haven't had my techs run these drivers through the mill yet), these drivers seem to have a few issues, or things of note at the very least.

OpenGL performance on a couple of games tanks, almost 25%, and these are the only drivers to have an issue like this since January of Last year. (City of Heroes for example is one game where performance dropped quite a bit it seems.)

Powermizer - I am not sure if this is an INF issue or driver, but powermizer only kicks in if Vista is set to PowerSaver, unlike previous versions where powermizer would drop the Mhz in Balanced mode, and still give a respectable Aero experience, as 1/6 of the speed of most cards is plenty fast enough for what Aero is doing. (Users can make a new profile based off of PowerSaver, and modify the CPU and other features so it acts more like Balanced.) It almost seems like the drivers are treating even Notebooks more like Desktops and not scaling the GPU back, and previous versions of the NVidia driver(Even Desktop Version) did scale back in Balanced mode (unless a 3D non-Aero game or application was running). If this is possibly an INF issue, maybe the 'expert' INF modder could take a look. I will have my techs test out various models when installing based on similar chipsets and see if they can wield any different results.

Hibernate/Sleep/Standby: The 174 series of drivers seem to have gone a bit flaky on some units with resuming, where these issues have been fixed in previous drivers since Feburary of last year. Some of the 17X drivers work fine, some crash the video on resume, but still resume (however they refuse to set the MHZ properly, so the card is locked at Powermizer levels even when games run). These specific drivers seem to have this problem, where the 174.60 didn't, but the 174.53 did...

Just some observations to add to the conversation - I'm adding the comments here, but I had the same results with x32 and x64 versions of the driver on the same hardware. Also at home I have 3 NVidia desktops and 3 Laptops with NVidia, and I won't mention the ATI systems. :) (Note the Hibernate/Sleep/Standby works on 1 of the laptops and 2 of the desktops just fine, also the desktops running at normal MHZ in balanced mode isn't as much of a problem, where it can add some heat to the laptops. (Used NVMonitor and GPU-Z to test clock rates)

Guest Martin

Can't install!

I have an 8600M GT GDDR2, with 512 Mb memory. And my os is Vista 64bit.

When I try to install it says:

Can install the portal (or something like that)

Error code: -1

Error Text:

I'm currently using 169.12 from laptopvideo2go.com. But if this is better, as most people say, then i MUST have it. Since I am an hardcore gamer :)

Is there any help to get?

I am sorry for my poor English!

Guest Marucins

3D Mark 06

SM2.0 Sc: 2170

HDR/SM3.0 Sc: 2012

CPU Sc:1954

XPS 1710

*Intel® Core2 CPU T7600G @ 2.33GHz

*NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX

*2 x 2.0 GB 667.0 MHz

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Service Pack 1 (v1.0)

DirectX 10.0 (4.09.00.0904)

These now have WHQL certificate, yes?

Asking as post doesnt include a tick next to WHQL

fixed. thanks for the hint.

Guest Neotix

Hi.

I have a question. Why all .inf files are in separated catalogue? For correct install driver have I to copy all that files into main driver catalogue, and then copy modified INF?

• 2 weeks later...
Can't install!

I have an 8600M GT GDDR2, with 512 Mb memory. And my os is Vista 64bit.

When I try to install it says:

Can install the portal (or something like that)

Error code: -1

Error Text:

I'm currently using 169.12 from laptopvideo2go.com. But if this is better, as most people say, then i MUST have it. Since I am an hardcore gamer :)

Is there any help to get?

I am sorry for my poor English!

Same problem on Dell XPS 1530 with 8600GT and Vista Ultimate SP1.

How can we solve the problem?

Thank you

Edited by RickyIt

• 2 weeks later...