LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Geforce 8700m GT - SLI issue on Dell m1730 FIXED!

Andres3dmark

Hi ppl,

I had a problem with this cards (Nvidia Geforce 8700m GT x 2 -256mb), just like soooo many around the web:

SLI didnt work properly. But I think i figure out the problem.

I installed some drivers, 167.51 and 174.82 To test it out, but SLI was just not working.,

the performance was just ridiculous. So after research and almost getting crazy... i did this.....,

1. Disable AgeiaPhysx Card. (go to Device Manager, just disable, you dont have to uninstall)

2. Install drivers. (167.51 or 174.82 I recommend)

3. Restart Machine

4. Enable SLI (Nvidia control panel)... and Restart again.

5. SLI SHOULD BE WORKING GREAT! AFTER THAT.

6. If you see that performance is what you expected , then you can Enable AgeiaPhysx again. (and test SLI again).

8. Should be just fine by now. (SLI + Ageiaphysx).

9. Im getting 55 fps - 60 fps. at the beggining of 3dmark06 test. Without SLI enabled, you get 25 - 28 fps.

10. If SLI, stops to work again (it shouldn't though)... but just do the same thing.. Disable AgeiaPhysx. Enable SLI. RESTART, done.

Conclusion.....

AgeiaPhysx Card must be creating some conflict, since it uses a Pci Express port... same type of port as the video cards.

Im just guessing about the conflict, due my own experimentation. But it finally fixed my problem.

So I can say now.... the Machine is great.

I hope this will help many, who are frustated with the performance of SLI Setups on DELL laptops M1730.

good luck to all.

Andreas

Edited by Andres3dmark

Guest Zarigis

I have been having some troubles with this card under SLI, but a little bit more strange. In guild wars with SLI on I get 30fps unless i have antialiasing -on-, at which point I get the usual 100 or so. Also I've noticed that if I use any modded infs to install the drivers (as necessary for the 174 ones) vsync locks at 50fps instead of 60 when using SLI. I'm going to see if this physx thing has anything to do with it, but it seems very strange.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rarenomad

What are your 3dmark06 scores? I didnt have to do any of that, I just enabled SLI via nvidia control panel, bounced the laptop, and started the test. I get 8370 3dmarks using laptop2video.com driver 174.93

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and trying to do the same steps as you.

But I ran into a snag trying to install the 174.90 drivers.

When the installer runs, it says that it couldn't find any supported hardware.

What do I need to do to update the drivers for my NVidia 8700M GT video cards?

It's the modded INF file you're missing. It contains the codes for all the various laptop cards (after it's modded). The un-modded INF (which you're using to install) contains the desktop codes only.

So, when the driver goes out to look for one of those desktop cards, and doesn't find any...

Edited by Darmdorf

Hi !!! i need help.i did same steps as you but it didnt work. i cant activate sli !!! i have try drivers which you sugest and now im trying on 174.93 and i have got same problem. i have exacly same laptop as you.please help.thanks greg

• 5 months later...

Troubleshooting Dell XPS M1730 graphic.

I solved it all?.

I bought my laptop in febuary 2008..

Since then I wase able to play any games that I throw at it, with a driver that I found on www.Laptopvideo2go.com

But 2 month ago, my XPS died of a heat stroke?mobo fried and the cpu fan to?.((( I'm a real gamer to that thing, but it suppose to deliver extra performance.

Send the pc to dell, and they return it to me 4 days after my sending.

Good service do.

When it came back, I install the ghost from the HDD, and install the new Nvidia driver 175.32 from the site.

OH BOY!!!! What a lag?.any game that I try was choppy and ugly?.so I began to tweak the machine, install around 30 drivers from Laptopvideo2go and so on?..after 2 weeks of sweating on this ting (( like if i had nothing else to do))

I solved it all?.here is what I've done

****First, don't use the ghost image on your hard drive for installing windows on your new Laptop. (( that ghost is full of bugs and scrapwar install in it, dell put to much stuff that are not necessary in general. And it makes some conflicts with hardware)))***

- So, I install Windows from the cd that came with your brand new machine. = FRESH INSTALL FROM CD.

- Reboot

- Install chipset from dell site

- Reboot

- Install audio driver from dell site

- Reboot

- Install the last video driver from Nvidia: 175.32 whql

- Reboot

- Install Call Of Duty 4

- Reboot

- Test the game in 1600x1200 in aspect ratio of 16:9, Dual video card enable and the rest at maximum settings.

- *****wow, never seen the game so byutifle and fluid, no lag = PERFECT for the first time since january*****

- Install Nostromo game pad + Raser Lachesis mouse driver

- Reboot

- Test again COD4 = perfect no change

- Make a restore point

- Install Dell Quickset from Dell site

- Install Dell LCD monitor from Dell site

- Install Lan from Dell Site

- Reboot and test againe = perfect

- Made a Restore point

- Install Ageia Physx

- Reboot

- Test againe = perfect?..

So, to have a real XPS laptop without any graphic problem, you have to make a fresh install from cd, when your machine is built up, use Norton ghost to make a real ghost that you will put on a cd or on an other HDD.

Hopping it will help you run your XPS laptop like Hell?

Spamer : French Canadian dude.

Troubleshooting Dell XPS M1730 graphic.

I solved it all?.

I bought my laptop in febuary 2008..

Since then I wase able to play any games that I throw at it, with a driver that I found on Laptopvideo2go

But 2 month ago, my XPS died of a heat stroke?mobo fried and the cpu fan to?.((( I'm a real gamer to that thing, but it suppose to deliver extra performance.

Send the pc to dell, and they return it to me 4 days after my sending.

Good service do.

When it came back, I install the ghost from the HDD, and install the new Nvidia driver 175.32 from the site.

OH BOY!!!! What a lag?.any game that I try was choppy and ugly?.so I began to tweak the machine, install around 30 drivers from Laptopvideo2go and so on?..after 2 weeks of sweating on this ting (( like if i had nothing else to do))

I solved it all?.here is what I've done

****First, don't use the ghost image on your hard drive for installing windows on your new Laptop. (( that ghost is full of bugs and scrapwar install in it, dell put to much stuff that are not necessary in general. And it makes some conflicts with hardware)))***

- So, I install Windows from the cd that came with your brand new machine. = FRESH INSTALL FROM CD.

- Reboot

- Install chipset from dell site

- Reboot

- Install audio driver from dell site

- Reboot

- Install the last video driver from Nvidia: 175.32 whql

- Reboot

- Install Call Of Duty 4

- Reboot

- Test the game in 1600x1200 in aspect ratio of 16:9, Dual video card enable and the rest at maximum settings.

- *****wow, never seen the game so byutifle and fluid, no lag = PERFECT for the first time since january*****

- Install Nostromo game pad + Raser Lachesis mouse driver

- Reboot

- Test again COD4 = perfect no change

- Make a restore point

- Install Dell Quickset from Dell site

- Install Dell LCD monitor from Dell site

- Install Lan from Dell Site

- Reboot and test againe = perfect

- Made a Restore point

- Install Ageia Physx

- Reboot

- Test againe = perfect?..

So, to have a real XPS laptop without any graphic problem, you have to make a fresh install from cd, when your machine is built up, use Norton ghost to make a real ghost that you will put on a cd or on an other HDD.

Hopping it will help you run your XPS laptop like Hell?

Spamer : French Canadian dude.

• 2 years later...