LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell bios updates for nvidia gpus

Dox

Dell has released new bios's for laptops (across its range) with nvidia cards.

Earlier this month, sites like Ars Technica and ZDNet blogged about NVIDIA?s statement regarding a potential issue with some of NVIDIA's Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) used in notebooks. According to NVIDIA, these affected GPUs are experiencing higher than expected failure rates causing video problems. Though this issue is not unique to Dell, some of these affected GPUs are used in certain Dell laptops. That's why I wanted to take a few minutes here to explain the issue and to let customers know what to do next.

The issue is a weak die/packaging material set, which may fail with GPU temperature fluctuations. If your GPU fails, you may see intermittent symptoms during early stages of failure that include:

* Multiple images

* Random characters on the screen

* Lines on the screen

* No video

Read More

Oh my god please please i hope this will be great for my m1530 which sufferes from really bad heat issues. hope this will be great. i will wait for the m1530 version to come out...soon i hope...

To all (un)lucky Dell users out there, maybe this is what we've been waiting for...

Edited by widescreen169

Not all the Nvidia graphics card based Dells have BIOS updates. My Vostro 1500 is still at A06

thanks for the update dox. i'm gonna upgrade my bios now

Guest Vampy
Not all the Nvidia graphics card based Dells have BIOS updates. My Vostro 1500 is still at A06

I'm hoping that means that the Vostro 1500 is among the laptops less affected by the problems thanks to a superior GPU cooling system, and not that Dell is neglecting yours and my laptop. Still, the latter is pretty likely given the sorry state of the vostro 1500 driver page compared to the Inspiron equivalent and the XPS lines.

Yes, the CPU and GPU in my system run quite cool. The GPU is: 54C idle (with Vista Aero) 70C in games. The driver page is quite out of date. Thank goodness for LV2G!

Oh my god please please i hope this will be great for my m1530 which sufferes from really bad heat issues. hope this will be great. i will wait for the m1530 version to come out...soon i hope...

To all (un)lucky Dell users out there, maybe this is what we've been waiting for...

hey the 1530 bios is up on the stie now i just updated it... idle temps seem about the same... maybe 1-2c cooler... but fan does cut in alot sooner so idle temps dont get as high...

have to play in game and see if temps change...

Edited by coolcop06

I wonder if/when a BIOS upgrade will be made available for the 1730

Soon, hopefully.

Does the M1730 have this issue ?

What GPU's have the overheating bug ?

May not even affect the 8x00M+ GPU's ?

I think some with the 8700m gt sli. I can't remember. I saw it in another thread with some mild overheating (but then again overheating is always bad at any level).

Or the 7950gtx model, I really can't remember, but I believe that problem was resolved by using different drivers.

I think that the problem occurred with some 8400s and 8600s. However, the 8600m GT in my laptop does not seem to be afflicted by the problem.

ive got a some heatproblems too from time to time with my m1330 and its got a 8400m-gs ... do you guys know if i should use this nvidia-bios-update ?

Hi,

I've got an xps M1530!

My gpu is sometimes goint to 90c temparature??? is this a real problem? and so am I affected by this issue?

greetz

For everyone that has a Dell XPS 1730, there is a new BIOS update that was released yesterday.

The new BIOS version is A09. The previous one was A06.

The BIOS update is for "Added enhancement for PPU card".

The URL for the BIOS download is:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=257826

• 1 month later...

I have a vostro 1500 with a 8600M GT suffering from continuous crashes and reaching high temperatures during games but i'm not sure about upgrading the bios from A05 to A06, does this 06 help with something? is it true that the fans keep on the whole time? does it reduce battery life? and finally can i downgrade to 05 installing it the same way as the 06 in case it is necessary? thanks!!

• 5 months later...

Personally, I can't speak for the BIOS update solving the nVidia/Dell problems but I was just on the Direct2Dell blog and people are screaming bloody murder over this issue. And some are saying the BIOS fix doesn't work, machines are still buring up GPU's faster than Dell can replace them, under warranty models of course.

However, I can speak of my own experience with this in that my XPS 1710 bought in Oct 2006 is now going on its second video card (first Go 7900 GT; second Go 7950GTX) and I'm only now becoming aware of the scope of this issue. It took a full 2yrs and 2 months before my first card failed and I'm apprehensive about this second card's life because it is also mentioned multiple times as one of the many bad NVidia GPUs.

With that said, I'm anxious to find out if there is anything I can do to prolong the life of my second card, e. g., cooling, driver version, or whatever, because my warranty will expire the end of this year. Have pretty much gone cross-eyed reading all I can online about this but this site seems to have the most knowledgable people, from what I've read so far. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you Dave. I have a 7950 gtx that I haven't installed in my Inspiron E1705 until I find the most successful driver. I am hoping someone answers you. I feel your pain.