LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GTA IV: Performance/Quality Review

Guest MonkeyMhz

Guest MonkeyMhz

Well GTAIV just came out on PC. Im hearing alot of bad things about the performance of it. However another forum I saw they had no problem. It seems like ppl are complaining about the minimum FPS. Im guessing it may be a a rollercoast of FPS large drops for no reason. But theres only one way to tell, and that is to try it out. Ill be getting it very soon, and Ill post back here with what kind of performance I experiance. And I can tell you one thing, If i cant run it High, with maybe some things medium at 65% draw distance without playable FPS. Im gonna be one unhappy monkey.

Btw: I have a Geforce 8600GT OC and Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz.

Fallout 3 and FC2 had no problem, will GTAIV?

If you already have GTAIV please post ur FPS and specs. Im sure ppl would like to see.

Well GTAIV just came out on PC. Im hearing alot of bad things about the performance of it. However another forum I saw they had no problem. It seems like ppl are complaining about the minimum FPS. Im guessing it may be a a rollercoast of FPS large drops for no reason. But theres only one way to tell, and that is to try it out. Ill be getting it very soon, and Ill post back here with what kind of performance I experiance. And I can tell you one thing, If i cant run it High, with maybe some things medium at 65% draw distance without playable FPS. Im gonna be one unhappy monkey.

Btw: I have a Geforce 8600GT OC and Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz.

Fallout 3 and FC2 had no problem, will GTAIV?

If you already have GTAIV please post ur FPS and specs. Im sure ppl would like to see.

man its all over the interweb now,

people with monster rigs getting really poor performance,

i was really looking forward to this too, theres no way my aging pc will handle this game

Guest burfadel
man its all over the interweb now,

people with monster rigs getting really poor performance,

i was really looking forward to this too, theres no way my aging pc will handle this game

GTA has always had poor performance on PC, taking in to consideration the quality of the GTA graphics of course! I know previously things like antialiasing and GTA weren't a good idea. If you tweak and fiddle with the settings enough it should help greatly with the performance.

Make sure you turn off clip capture as this on by default. You will lose FPS otherwise as it always making a video recording of what you do. Daft default option imo.

Be sure to get the latest .NET 3.5 SP1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

These command line options for LaunchGTAIV.exe can be very useful.

ie. add -nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank -percentvidmem 100 to Launchgtaiv.exe NOT gtaiv.exe, run as administrator, and your graphics options will not be limited by your amount of graphics memory. Add other parameters as desired.

Tools:
-benchmark:   Runs the benchmark tool and immediately exits game.  
-help:  Display list of all command line options

Graphics:
-renderquality:   Set the render quality of the game. (0-4)
-shadowdensity:   Set the shadow density of the game. (0-16)
-texturequality:	Set the texture quality of the game. (0-2)
-viewdistance:   Set the view distance of the game (0-99)
-detailquality:   Set the detail quality of the game. (0-99)
-novblank:   Disable wait for vblank (No Vsync)
-norestrictions:	Do not limit graphics settings
-width:  Set width of main render window (default is 800)
-height:   Set height of main render window (default is 600)
-safemode:   Run the graphics in the lowest setting possible
-frameLimit:   Limit frame to interval of refresh rate (ex If refreshrate is 60HZ ?frameLimit 1 = Locks down to 60HZ)
-refreshrate:   Set the refresh rate of main render window
 [tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]    ? Warning - Monitor must support (ex. ?refreshrate 60)
-fullscreen:   Force fullscreen mode
-windowed:  Force windowed mode
-availablevidmem:  Set amount of physical Video Memory(ex. ?availablevidmem 0.9)
-percentvidmem:   Percentage of video memory to make available to GTA

Audio:
-fullspecaudio:   Force high-end CPU audio footprint
-minspecaudio:   Force low-end CPU audio footprint

System:
-noprecache:   Disable precache of resources
-nomemrestrict:   Disable memory restrictions

Why Rockstar have released such an unoptimized and bugged port I don't know.

Expect a patch soon. Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you are using DOX's drivers and experience a major bug where most graphics are transparent, you must reset driver settings to default in RivaTuner. Uninstalling, driver clean in safe mode and changing to any other driver will not work without doing that. If you have 7900 and experience a bug where medium distance graphics are transparent, you are out of luck for the moment, Rockstar say this is going to require a driver update from nVidia.

Edited by Galdere

Guest MonkeyMhz

Well, in my experiance GTA 3, and Vice city and san andreas all ran great. And all PCs I ran them on had a pretty crappy entry level card.

If people are complaining about the lag spikes or lag seconds when ur driving really fast or turn around quickly. Thats normal, all GTA games have had that. But if its about the whole game just running poor performance and a slide show then thats strange.

I hope it runs well, if not Ill make some configs and benches and see if i can improve anyhting, 25-=30 FPS is fine for GTA since 3rd person games are usually targeted at 30 FPS. Anyways. Time will tell. Ill prolly install the game friday night, maybe sooner if i can find time but ill be sure to post back here.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Dam those direct2downloads or whatever take a while (ill put it on full priority asap and try to get it done) = / Should have just bought this one. lol.

Sry for the wait guys.

Guest Damusface
These command line options for LaunchGTAIV.exe can be very useful. Also, vista users can apparently use the -DX9 option to force DX10 off for better performance and many are adding /high to ensure the game is prioritised.

ie. add -nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank -percentvidmem 100 to Launchgtaiv.exe NOT gtaiv.exe, run as administrator, and your graphics options will not be limited by your amount of graphics memory. Add other parameters as desired.

How do I get this to work? I made a shortcut to launchgtaiv.exe and added this stuff onto the end of the command line, however, when I start it, it only starts up Rockstar social club launcher, then nothing, even when I have the Rockstar social club launcher open. What could I be doing wrong?

How do I get this to work? I made a shortcut to launchgtaiv.exe and added this stuff onto the end of the command line, however, when I start it, it only starts up Rockstar social club launcher, then nothing, even when I have the Rockstar social club launcher open. What could I be doing wrong?

A lot of people don't seem to able to get it to work the standard way because of how the two launchers are linked to GTAIV.exe.

The way to get it to work is to make a text (.txt) file in your GTA folder where these 3 files are and call it commandline.txt.

In it put the parameters you want to use, for instance it could just be as the next line:

-nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank -percentvidmem 100 -width 1920 -height 1200 -DX9 /high

Run the game as normal and the extra options should work for anyone.

Guest Damusface
A lot of people don't seem to able to get it to work the standard way because of how the two launchers are linked to GTAIV.exe.

The way to get it to work is to make a text (.txt) file in your GTA folder where these 3 files are and call it commandline.txt.

In it put the parameters you want to use, for instance it could just be as the next line:

-nomemrestrict -norestrictions -novblank -percentvidmem 100 -width 1920 -height 1200 -DX9 /high

Run the game as normal and the extra options should work for anyone.

Does this work for all executable files (.exe)? If so, what an amazing thing which I never knew, thank you very much.

180.84 GTA IV fixed driver is out.

We need Pieters INF for that Driver. Ive put ; Pieter's INF version 3.277 in the extracted Driver folder, but in the install process its asking for others files.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Well, sorry for the huge wait, but I finally have GTA IV. Ill be installing it today when I get home from work. Ill probably post a segment on it tommorow and then benchmarks within the next day or so.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Ok im at work now. First thing I must say, sorry for the screenshot above its like stretched cuz i set my res in the game to 1280x720 rather than 1280x800 or something that matches the ratio of my screen. I was in a big hurry this morning. Ill play more around with the game when I get home, the install was beyond brutal. Probably the worst experiance I have ever had.

So it started of will getting the game, I installed it. I was happy thought I would be playing in about 30mins to 1 hour while it installs. It finishes, yay. So I start it up, gives me a error (I must get that stupid windows live update). So i get that, install it. Now I try again, now it gives me some other error saying I don't have service pack 1 on vista. So then im pissed because FC2 doesent require it, it reccomends it but it doesent require it. So now I have to get service pack 1, (i never got it before cuz vista ran fine and i dont wanna waste a 1+hour). So anyways I go to the windows site download the service pack, about 400mb took 15 or so mins. After I get it I think great maybe ill be able to play the game by 10ish PM. I start up the service pack install and it took forever!. God, it wasnt done the service pack till like 11:20 PM. Then another brutal disaster, the computer starts up after the service pack and what do I end up seeing, 2 Logins! Both Same name!

You know when you log into vista and u have ur little users, yea well I only have 1, which is me. And this time when vista started up there were 2, side by side, identical. So now I thought, great now my logins are duplicated. So I login, I look on the net and some guy says teh only way to fix it is to reinstall windows. Now Im thinking FFS im not doing that. I kept looking and found a patch, it was actually caused by the fingerprint reader from that omniplex crap. Anyways I got that patch and that fixed that problem. Next I go to start up the game, finally. WAIT WTF! FATAL ERROR WS10. Now im choked. Some other garbage error, I looked on the net, again theres not really a solution, or if there was a solution people said it didnt work. But I tried it anyways it was to install the redistrubutable of that stupid windows live games, and then copy the xlive files from C:/Windows/System32 into your game directory, theres like 4 files in there starting with xlive. So I copied the files into my game folder, restarted the PC, and nope! still stupid WS10 error. At this point im ready to just trash the whole thing. I decide to try one more thing.

I had my directory set up as.

C:/MyStuff/Games/GTAIV/

and in that folder there was

a Game folder were GTAIV was installed

and a Rockstar social club folder.

I was putting the xlive files into the Game folder, so instead I just tried dumping it right into GTAIV folder so its floating inbetween the rockstar social club folder and the Game folder where gta is actually installed. And then i restarted and that finally worked!..

So now the game starts up, by then it was nearly 1am and I wake up at 5:30 am to get ready for work. So i didnt have any override memory on or anything. So it set me to 1024x768, medium and low, all 1's. I did a benchmark just to quickly see how it is, i scored 18 fps. And im thinking, W T F ! Then i realised I have power saving mode on so i re ran it with high performance mode and i got like 22 fps, and im still thinkning, thats terrible. I now had a feeling it was gonna be bad. So i started a full defrag on the computer and went to sleep.

Woke up at 5:30 am, while having breakfast I went back into GTAIV overrided the memory thing so I can start cranking the options. I cranked it to 1280x720, Detail Distance 50, View Distance 50, Traffic 15, Shadow Density 5, Medium Textures, High Render. I went ingame, now I have to say it ran fairly smooth, not the best but definetly playable. I did a benchmark and i got like 26 FPS Average. Which was suprising since the night before all lows got me 22 FPS. I guess the defrag helps out. I do notice ingame some times when u turn it chops a bit. But still was fairly lag free, the only thing now that I noticed that really annoys me and makes the game look like huge sh!t is that for some reason when u turn around and buildngs lods its like pixelated dots and then the building just appear, and alot of the textures flicker and disapear. I think this might be the drivers Ill try the GTA IV drivers tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
180.84 GTA IV fixed driver is out.

Anyone got this driver working ,i get it installed then once i've singed back into my pc it loads a black screen with the cursor on it.

My card is a 7950 gx2 and i'm running vista home premium ,current driver is 7.15.11.7824 and nvidea site says its upto date ( i know the 180.84 is beta)

Anyone got this driver working ,i get it installed then once i've singed back into my pc it loads a black screen with the cursor on it.

My card is a 7950 gx2 and i'm running vista home premium ,current driver is 7.15.11.7824 and nvidea site says its upto date ( i know the 180.84 is beta)

Try 180.84 Dox`s optimised. I play GTA IV with them.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22225