LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking locked systems

Goal_OC_Unlock

Is your system overclocking locked?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is your system overclocking locked? (apart from 169.04)

• Yes
    • No

OVERCLOCKING MAY DESTROY YOUR GPU AND THE EFFORT TO OVERCLOCK MAY DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER. I AM NOT TRYING TO HELP ANYONE TO MODIFY THEIR SYSTEMS OR SOFTWARE IN ANY WAY- I AM ONLY SEEKING INFORMATION FOR MY OWN USE.

I've spent he past week trying to overclock my Sony VAIO FZ340E. My system, like many others, will only overclock when I use 169.04. BIOS flash is not an option - not due to risk, but because the GPU BIOS is embedded in the system BIOS and the original BIOS cannot be found or created using Phoenix tools.

In an attempt to figure out the differences between 169.04 and all later drivers I tried replacing drivers files. I narrowed it down to:

nvlddmkm.sys

In fact, if you replace any version nvlddmkm.sys in the C:\\Windows\System32\drivers with the 169.04 version, you can overclock!

But :) the system detects a driver mismatch so AERO does not load and most games will not start.

Next I tried modifying all of the version info in the 169.04 file to match the new 180.84 that I'm using, but still without success.

Next I compared the contents of the 169.04 nvlddmkm.sys with other versions and I found all newer drivers have message entries saying "Gr Illegal Notify on %2" on the blocks C0AA0020H-

The 169.04 file doesn't have this. All of this was done using a nice tool called

Resource Tuner Download

Notice that there is a different number of blocks in the resource table.

overclockblock.jpg

So I tried changing all the version attributes of the 169.04 nvlddmkm.sys file to match the installed drivers vers (180.84) with no success. Perhaps it is this file that verifies the version attributes of all of the other files?

overclockblock02.jpg

Additionally useful information is that so far overclocking is impossible (on restricted systems) unless the 169.04 vlddmkm.sys is in the specified folder on startup. No amount service restarting or copying new files has made it possbile for me (yet).

The purpose of this post is to ask for help!!! Are there any programs or people smarter than me that can help to create a patch to allow us to overclock? (I will personally pay $30 paypal to the first person who does so).

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

OVERCLOCKING MAY DESTROY YOUR GPU AND THE EFFORT TO OVERCLOCK MAY DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER. I AM NOT TRYING TO HELP ANYONE TO MODIFY THEIR SYSTEMS OR SOFTWARE IN ANY WAY- I AM ONLY SEEKING INFORMATION FOR MY OWN USE.

Here is a message I just sent to DOX about this thread:

Hi Dox,

First, thanks for all your great work!

Are you aware of the overclocking lock that some systems have? OCing works with 169.04 but not with any other drivers. I have researched it extensively and found that it comes down to one file:

nvlddmkm.sys

Here is where I recently wrote about it:

Let's Unlock the Overclock

There are many people experiencing similar issues, do you know how we can fix our problem?

Best,

PS Many others have a similar problem:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18589

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...596#post3670596

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22159

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22136

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22136

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

Guest i_hate_captchas

u should try comparing 169.04 with the first 'locked' version (i think its 169.06, but make sure those r locked in ur system), and then comparing the 169.06 with the latest version. btw, idapro might help with this stuff.

u should try comparing 169.04 with the first 'locked' version (i think its 169.06, but make sure those r locked in ur system), and then comparing the 169.06 with the latest version. btw, idapro might help with this stuff.

Cool! Thanks for the IDAPRO tip- I gave it a few minutes and I definitely feel over my head... Then again I've felt that way many times before coming out on top :)

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

Yeah i basically had the same problem, clocks kept on reverting back to default. Tried most of the driver based tools out there, ati tools, ntune, rivatuner, EVGAP etc. I know you said bios level OC'ing didnt work for you, but i'll just post the solution for anyone else with a problem similar to ours that visits this thread.

LINK:

BIOS level OC guide

The guide explains most of the stuff you'll need. It does say to do a couple of tests using Rivatuner/Atitools to reach a stable clock before flashing to bios, BUT since we all cant test any clocks due to them defaulting to original clocks, just edit them straightaway in NibiTor. Obviously you'll want to OC in small increments like 10-20 Mhz. Anything your're unsure of, you should just post in that thread. The people over there are really helpful.

Edited by xantheuz

can't you extract your BIOS using GPU-Z? Then open the bios extracted from GPU-Z into nibitor, create a boot disc, put on it nvflash, and flash it that way? My old 7900GS was locked, so went around it that way.

I haven't yet found any program able to read Quadro fx1600M bios - probably other problematic hardware do exist also.

"the BIOS cannot be found or created using Phoenix tools" Was just throwing an idea in to use GPU-Z for bios extraction... I think you can also use nvflash in DOS to extract a bios and save it as a *.ROM

Edited by aliveanddead86

"the BIOS cannot be found or created using Phoenix tools" Was just throwing an idea in to use GPU-Z for bios extraction... I think you can also use nvflash in DOS to extract a bios and save it as a *.ROM

Yep thats how i did it. Create a bootable flash drive, dump the nvflash files inside, when you boot your comp just boot from the flash drive. then type nvflash -b OLDBIOS.ROM to save a copy of your current bios to your flashdrive, which you can then edit with NiBiTor. Tools to create bootable flash drive and nvflash in link i posted earlier. Definitely should be able to copy your bios. Again, refer to the link for more detailed steps.

Edited by xantheuz

in my case i cant extract the video bios with gpu-z and not even with nvflash as it is tightly embedded in the system bios.

in my case i cant extract the video bios with gpu-z and not even with nvflash as it is tightly embedded in the system bios.

Are you using an ASUS laptop? Cuz there is a workaround if you are.

:)

It's a shame I cannot delete posts! Thanks for everyone's suggestions but the purpose of this thread is to find an alternative to flashing the BIOS. The problem is that there is a BIOS for each device- one for the motherboard and one for the GPU. On many computers, the BIOS for the GPU is unaccessible because it is integrated into the system BIOS. Not only is it extremely risky (in the sense that you can do everything correctly and you computer can simply die due to environmental factors) to FLASH the the system BIOS, many laptop motherboards have a custom BIOS that the manufacturer will not release.

Worst of all - a BIOS OC is likely to wear down your GPU.

On the other hand- a software patch would solve everyone's problems without doing anything dangerous/advanced/or detrimental to life of laptop.

So I opened the file with IDAPro and damn... this is going to be interesting.

Edited by Goal_OC_Unlock

yes, its an asus f3sg... right now im in the process of modding the bios for bios oc. (downloaded system bios, mmtool to extract the video bios, and nibitor to change the video) however i think that a patched driver should be a much confortable and usefull for everyone solution.

I'll be keeping a VERY CLOSE eye on this thread. The fact that I'm stuck with the dated 169.04 drivers for my GPU overclocking needs, knowing full well more recent drivers offer some significant performance improvements, is killing me. In particular the newly released 180.84 which offers anywhere from 20-38% boost in framerates in various games without OC'ing is impressive. With OC, this means I'd get over 50% more frames minimum than at stock without OC.

My system is an LG P300, and like a few people here including Goal_OC_Unlock, my GPU BIOS is buried deep within the System BIOS, and I'd rather not touch it (even if I want to touch it, I can't, due to hardware block whether I use GPU-Z or Phoenix Labs Tools, and no updated BIOS file is available on the LG website).

The question we have asked ourselves : what allows the 169.04 drivers to overclock BIOS-locked GPUs? Since many people here can overclock beyond these drivers, then we can assume 169.04 contains files and/or codes that bypass the BIOS lock on GPU overclocking. The solution to the problem is implementing this(these) file(s) into the recent drivers to allow them to overclock your BIOS-LOCKED GPU as well. Goal_OC_Unlock seems to have already tracked down the 1 file that is source of the OC-lock : the elusive nvlddmkm.sys file.

If we can find a way to trick the more recent drivers into thinking the nvlddmkm.sys file is actually legit (or at least part of their file structure), then the drivers should theoretically successfully install and fully run.

Is it possible for someone to post the nvlddmkm.sys files (different versions). I don't know if I can do anything (probably not), but I could try. I've ordered the ASUS G50Vt, but I haven't received it yet. I'm also planning to overclock it, but I don't want to do the BIOS update if it can be avoided.

Edited by Wolfheart

Is it possible for someone to post the nvlddmkm.sys files (different versions). I don't know if I can do anything (probably not), but I could try. I've ordered the ASUS G50Vt, but I haven't received it yet. I'm also planning to overclock it, but I don't want to do the BIOS update if it can be avoided.

I have uploaded the relevant nvlddmkm.sys files here!

http://rapidshare.com/files/172471909/169....180.84.zip.html

:)

It's a shame I cannot delete posts! Thanks for everyone's suggestions but the purpose of this thread is to find an alternative to flashing the BIOS. The problem is that there is a BIOS for each device- one for the motherboard and one for the GPU. On many computers, the BIOS for the GPU is unaccessible because it is integrated into the system BIOS. Not only is it extremely risky (in the sense that you can do everything correctly and you computer can simply die due to environmental factors) to FLASH the the system BIOS, many laptop motherboards have a custom BIOS that the manufacturer will not release.

Worst of all - a BIOS OC is likely to wear down your GPU.

On the other hand- a software patch would solve everyone's problems without doing anything dangerous/advanced/or detrimental to life of laptop.

Good job, was only trying to be helpful... guess Dox isnt going to help you either after you ticked him off in that other thread huh? Man were you arrogant :) Honestly dont get that bit about "you can do everything correctly and your computer can simply die due to environmental factors"... wont your supposed "environmental factors" affect a software OC as well? And hello... an OC is an OC, whether BIOS level or driver level (using software to OC), they both push your GPUs and BOTH result in a shortened life span. The worst thing that can happen during a bios flash is your screen going blank... just memorise the steps to flash your original bios and you're done.

Not that it matters or anything but with my 8600m GT, i've OC'ed it to 5300+ on3dmark06 with default resolution, had to use NibiTor to do it cuz i was having the same prob as you all.

Good job, was only trying to be helpful... guess Dox isnt going to help you either after you ticked him off in that other thread huh?Honestly dont get that bit about "you can do everything correctly and your computer can simply die due to environmental factors"...

Dox and I have made up so everything is cool- but according to his post here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....ost&p=93020

he can't help without the nvidia source code. Anyone work for NVIDIA?

As for the BIOS- This thread is really for people who's GPU BIOS is integrated into their system BIOS. GPUz and NVflash are of no use- and flashing a system BIOS is every bit as bad (probably worse) than I was saying!

Best,

RS

• 1 month later...