LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Only 16-bit color depth on batteries SOLVED

reynart

I have quite strange problem with my MSI notebook... When i got my notebook and installed Windows Vista and started only on batteries i couldnt set my desktop color depth to 32 bit. I cant do that till now. I have all latest drivers installed. Strange is, that when i installed Windows XP, problem disapeard. After that I installed again Vista (tried both 32bit and 64bit versions) i couldnt set 32 bit color depth again, when started on batteries ofc (when plugged to the AC and restarted the NB Im able to set 32). I searched, googled and found nothing. So please help, if someone of you knows what is the problem. Thanks.

Edited by reynart

What type of video chipset do you have? I know that some DAAMiT (ATi+AMD) chipsets have a setting which automatically reduces color depth in battery mode, but I am not aware of Nvidia or Intel chipsets that do this.

I am having this exact same issue in vista x64 on my MSI 1651/GX620. Booting on battery gets stuck at 16 bit color depth, and can only be fixed when booting in with the AC power plugged in. This wasnt happening before with previous drivers it seems, but i updated to the latest 180.84 and now it is.

HELP please.

What type of video chipset do you have? I know that some DAAMiT (ATi+AMD) chipsets have a setting which automatically reduces color depth in battery mode, but I am not aware of Nvidia or Intel chipsets that do this.

My video chipset is Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT and mainboard chipset is Intel PM45 so it is combination you mentioned. I wouldnt mind if it changed only color depth but it also changes desktop resolution to minimum when changing booting without batt. and plugged AC. As I mentioned with same NVIDIA drivers on Windows XP it works perfectly fine but on Vista...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my msi gx620 with vistax64 then i download DH Mobility Modder.NET nvidia edition and try to patch 180.48 driver for desktop cards, i install drivers but nothing change except more resolutions, the issue is the same ==> 16bits colors depth on battery.

I have called msi about the problem but they send per mail link for 176.60 laptop drivers..

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but having the same problem here. The only drivers that seem to work correctly (ie. give 32-bit true color while running on batt) are the manufacturer's (176.60). Anyone with any solutions?

MSI GX620, 9600M GT 512MB DDR3

Edited by Spik3balloon

Sorry to bump an old thread, but having the same problem here. The only drivers that seem to work correctly (ie. give 32-bit true color while running on batt) are the manufacturer's (176.60). Anyone with any solutions?

MSI GX620, 9600M GT 512MB DDR3

Since I created this thread I was trying to solve this problem but with no succes. I tried to compare inf from 176.60 MSI drivers to others newers drivers. Even modifying inf from new drivers but I couldnt find a command witch solves the problem. Sometimes my tests disabled Physx or driver didnt installed at all.

We MSI USERS just have to wait that MSI will hopefully release 179.28 MSI drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MICHAEL

Helllo. I have the same problem with my msi gx620 laptop. I have installed the newest nvidia driver (179.48) but it don't work fine.. Only the 176.60 works perfect (always 32bit) but 176.60 doesn't accelerate physx. Physx works only with 179.x or higher. :) (Gamer laptop without physx? :P ) (179.28 just can't install... it'says during the install: i have no windows vista, but i have.. :) )

Helllo. I have the same problem with my msi gx620 laptop. I have installed the newest nvidia driver (179.48) but it don't work fine.. Only the 176.60 works perfect (always 32bit) but 176.60 doesn't accelerate physx. Physx works only with 179.x or higher. :) (Gamer laptop without physx? :P ) (179.28 just can't install... it'says during the install: i have no windows vista, but i have.. :) )

Hi. I think our only chance is to wait for MSI to release new drivers or vga bios. Until then Ill use win XP.

I haven't tried them yet, but MSI has released new drivers.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...mp;prod_no=1529

Edit: Looking at the version numbers, they're still 176.xx drivers. :)

Vista 32: 7.15.11.7688

Vista 64: 7.15.11.7660_WHQL

XP 32/64 : 6.14.11.7644_WHQL

Edited by Spik3balloon

• 2 weeks later...

Problem SOLVED.

Just need to flash new BIOS "1.0S" and the issue dissapeared for me.

Try and post your results.

Problem SOLVED.

Just need to flash new BIOS "1.0S" and the issue dissapeared for me.

Try and post your results.

Seems to be fixed here as well. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Now running Dox's 182.05.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmed, I had the same problem before, updated for the latest BIOS (v1.0U at the moment), problem is gone.

Thanks for pointing it out!