LaptopVideo2Go Forums

"Low level" Gpu Overclocking

Dox

This is a guide for "low level" gpu overclocking.

Instead of using software such as nTune etc,

you can hack the video bios and change clocks speeds (and other things) then re-flash your video bios to get the new clock speeds.

You can also use this guide to downclock your card,

fix laggy aero issue in vista by raising your "2D" clocks

flash new updated videobios provided to you by your manufacturer.

Advantages

• Method will work even if you can't overclock using software such as ntune or rivatuner
  • Clocks will always be overclocked even when you update your drivers
  • You can change the "2D" clocks of your card to higher speeds to improve aero performance in vista
  • Another side use if you follow this guide is if your manufacturer provides you an updated bios you now know what to do.

Disadvantages

• Higher risks involved than driver level overclocking since you cant change your clock speed on the fly
  • Finding your max overclock using this method alone can take a long time
  • A bad flash means a dead graphics card
  • Voids warranty massively
  • Stable clocks on one driver may not be stable on another.

What you need

1. Nibitor- link
  2. Nvflash- link
  3. GPUZ- link
  4. HP bootable software - link
  5. DOS boot files - link
  6. Blank flash drive - you have one right?

Making The Boot Disk

1. Download HP bootable software and the DOS boot files, then extract the files from the zip file
  2. Install the HP software
  3. Plug in your USB stick and run the installed HP software
  4. Configure the HP software as follows:
    hpmh6.th.jpg
    Where it says "using DOS file located at", browse to where you extratced the DOS boot file (bootme).

5. click start and you're done!

Changing Clock Speeds

1. Open GPU-Z and click this button as shown:
    gpuzln3.th.png
    This will "dump" your video bios.

2. Open Nibitor and browse to the "dumped" bios file, it will be in .bin extension so take note when you browse for the file in Nibitor as it searches for a .rom by default
  3. You can then change your clock speeds on this page:
    nibkd0.th.jpg
    I HIGHLY recommend you only adjust the "Extra" speed box, if you don't have "Extra" box only adjust the "3D" box,
    I also advise you do not adjust ANYTHING else of the video bios using Nibitor.
    If you never overclocked before and you do not know your stable max speeds, a general rule of thumb is 5% of what your current speeds.
    I would advise against going higher than 8-10%.

4. Once you have decided on your new clock speeds click : File -> Save Bios -> [save as OC] make sure it is saved in the .rom extension
  5. Browse to the original video Bios, open it, make no changes to it and save the file in the .rom extention.

Flashing your Video Bios

1. First put the Nvflash files, the hacked video bios (the ones you just changed speed to) and the original video bios (the ones you dumped using GPU-Z and changes tp .rom extension) into the flash drive that you have prepared:
    flashlv0.th.jpg

2. Reboot the system and go into bios options (F2 on reboot for me) and configure it to boot USB flash disk
  3. Reboot with your flash disk and in Dos mode C:\> type: nvflash OC.rom and press [Enter], the video bios should flash (you'll know when its finished)
  4. Press crtl+alt+del to reboot your system and remove your flash disk.
  5. If your system cannot reboot into windows, boot into usb dos and type: nvflash [name of the orginal videobios file].rom for me mine is G92 M.rom and press [Enter]
  6. In windows check your clock speeds by using GPU-Z it should now show the new flashed one.

Checking for Stability

A good way is to use 3D marks and run it on loop for an hour.

You can also use Furmark to test openGL performance.

Play some games for a number of hours.

Whatever mehtod you use always check for artifacts (funny out of place colours in the scene and video corruption).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• illmatic

• Mushu

• zipper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 8800m gts in my hp hdx 9280el don't dump bios with nibitor and gpuz.....

Guest emike09

Great guide, Dox. In my experience, I recommend dumping the backup bios using nvflash. If having to blind flash, I've found having the dump in the same format as everything else is useful.

nice work adding this Dox. Hopefully when it disapears off the main page, members and guest will search it. Will stop at least 10 PM's per week for me.

Very useful and helpful thread Dox, good work!

Ty Dox, isnt there some tutorial teaching us how to find the best overclock values?

Dox, great work!

I can add, a good way to find best performance settings is to install your "native" drivers that would (maybe) enable overclocking, and to test values with it. Then you can paste these into bios editor.

And one question, when Extra values are to be activated?

Hey Dox, I got an nvidia GeForce 8400M GS in my HP DV2500T...in GPU-Z, for Bios it has "UNKOWN" and when I go to save, it says BIOS Reading not supported on this device....that means I'm SOL on this right?

in nibitor,

click tools

read bios

on select device choose your card (if its unknown select unknown)

the tools again the select read into nibitor.

then bios should now be loaded into nibitor and click submit.

hopefully the guys who make nibitor will get a new version supporting your card.

Thanks, I've seen this around the net before using this BIOS editor (not by extracting the bin file) and it was pretty complicated. You've simplified it and now it's very easy to do. :) I find artifacts on clocks using ATITool then I put those into the video BIOS (if I do plan to do that). I always do a backup so you can type "nvflash OCbackup.rom".

I'm not sure if GPU Core from 425 MHz to 530 MHz (no artifacts) would make a huge difference for me though.

Edited by Shaythong

Hey Dox, I got an nvidia GeForce 8400M GS in my HP DV2500T...in GPU-Z, for Bios it has "UNKOWN" and when I go to save, it says BIOS Reading not supported on this device....that means I'm SOL on this right?

I've got the same problem, but with a Dell Vostro 1510

Same here with my mobile Quadro, no proggy can read it.

you just need to submit your bios to nibitor/gpuz and they can hopefull add support to it in future releases.

Data position/length out of data bounds - that's what just pops up when trying to submit.

i have dv6500t xp sp3 with nvidia 8400m gs ddr2 i have the same problem and i did as u said dox, it recognizes but when i press save to file or read into program , my lappy freezes and i have to restart..

but my freind has dell inspiron 1520 with exactly same config ddr 2 8400 gs ... his lappy can read his bios ...so i modified it frm there and saved the overclocked bios and tried to flash it to mine using the steps above....

but i got eeprom error ...

so wat do u think dox where probably the error lies ..

i have dv6500t xp sp3 with nvidia 8400m gs ddr2 i have the same problem and i did as u said dox, it recognizes but when i press save to file or read into program , my lappy freezes and i have to restart..

but my freind has dell inspiron 1520 with exactly same config ddr 2 8400 gs ... his lappy can read his bios ...so i modified it frm there and saved the overclocked bios and tried to flash it to mine using the steps above....

but i got eeprom error ...

so wat do u think dox where probably the error lies ..

Receive error ID isn't correct and fails to flash the file.

Receive error ID isn't correct and fails to flash the file.

Solved the flash error, neede to turn off the eeprom protection and needed to select the overridesub.

Then i neede to turn of the eeprom protection and reboot the system, else it kept rebooting without going to windows.

So DOX thanks and keep up going.

My 9600M GT is now running on a 9700M setting with al temps up to 4/6 celcius.

Kept the memory running @800Mhz, no adjusting for the mem.

Is it possible to do a CPU clock through the BIOS? The 7150M card has no dedicated memory so the GPU memory clock is at 0, and the GPU Core clock is at 530 (from 425). :)

Edit: The above clocks are what I was planning to do, but when I type nvflash oc.rom it says "Could not enable the PROM pins" or was it "Could not seek the PROM pins", it was just like that. Any idea on what I can do?

Edited by Shaythong

i flash overclocked my 8600 first time i got my card, i have not found the best clock settings, the settings i set is from the feedbacks here, the good thing is that you can set a lower clock in ntune after clocking it higher

Yeah Dox, tried what you said, nibitor gave me an error as well. Oh well, thanks anyways.

Let me ask you something, I went back to 169.04 to OC the card (unless you guys know of another driver that allows OC'ing?) and I upped my 2d clocks by a lot, and oc'd my 3d clocks from 400/600 to 600/900

However, my WEI score ( I know i know, it's BS) but even after OC'ing, it stayed at 3.5 for Aero, and after OC the 3d gaming went from 4.7 to 5.2, any idea on why oc'ing the 2d clocks through RivaTuner had no effect on my score? I know the windows experience index is crap, but not changing at all from a large OC? makes no sense, any ideas?

I can overclock fine with all of the drivers I've tried so far... or do you mean that some drivers won't allow you to go that high? Strange, maybe the 2D clocks don't take effect because your computer is still staying in 3D clock mode. :)

Solved the flash error, neede to turn off the eeprom protection and needed to select the overridesub.

Then i neede to turn of the eeprom protection and reboot the system, else it kept rebooting without going to windows.

So DOX thanks and keep up going.

My 9600M GT is now running on a 9700M setting with al temps up to 4/6 celcius.

Kept the memory running @800Mhz, no adjusting for the mem.

how did u turned off ur eeprom protection??

can u elaborate plz