LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best nVIDIA driver for notebook, and / or your iMac!

mobilenvidia

CQSTELUSH Has written a VERY comprehensive guide to drivers and how they do on Notebooks.

Now I present you a driver shootout, a test of 30 nVIDIA drivers, on a Dell Inspiron 1520 configuration, an iMAC and an Acer Aspire 6920G. First part, the one who handles the Windows XP drivers testing is over and published. The chart is composed in 2 parts, one with the results (points for 3DMarks and fps for Crysis games) and one with the information about it. When was launched, if it has WHQL, PhysX and PhysX driver included, CUDA support, GPGPU folding client, Issues, New Features, Original Products supported (if you have a desktop board and you want to keep the WHQL status active)... and a whole article about what does ForceWare means.

For the original Romanian article head on over here the Data is in English

For a Google translation just click on the link here

Anybody wanting to squeeze every ounce of performance from their rig should take a look.

It's a VERY comprehensive driver comparison and most impressively written up (excuse Googles translation in places)

Enjoy, and a big thanks to CQSTELUSH :)

UPDATE

Hey man,

Here it is a news I wrote about this, if you could post it... it would be nice:

Huge nVIDIA ForceWare drivers comparision database, from co2-solid.ro

Good news, all you laptopvideo2go.com visitors! A bunch of hardworking guys started a titanic project, which intends to compare video drivers not only in 3D benchmarks and games but in features and specifications too. So, basically, you have THE place for comparing and choosing drivers

(the new ones launched are very fasttested and the database is updated). Here, a small fragment of the english version of the article (the romanian version is available too, so watch out "băieţi"):

Windows XP SP3, 32 bit

The first table only contains the results of the tests (in points for 3DMark and frames per second for Crysis games), while the second one contains additional information about the driver, as well as the models officially supported in the *.inf (information useful for those who use the results for choosing desktop cards drivers, which have official support and thus, Blu-Ray and WHQL certification active), besides other information like the support for physics (PhysX), CUDA, the folding client for the GPU?and so on. Enjoy!

The tests use the drivers we mod, here at laptopvideo2go.com, so its a complementary project which makes ours even better.

And from what I have understood, they are finishing the VISTA x86 version of the test as we speak, so if it's not done yet... it will sure be in about a few days, so stay close and watch for the new 185 drivers results, too.

Wow, just wow... that list its so incredible and the arrays of data just blow my mind. (no sarcasm intended) :)

Romanian people.

Can you tell me if it says that the first round of test results are averages for the three mentioned machines, or for an individual one please?

Bit weird to include an iMac in there. Even if it has mobile graphics, it has a desktop CPU.

Well, the results are not average, every configuration got a OS. The Dell got Windows XP, The iMAC got Windows VISTA and the ACER, Windows VISTA 64 bit edition and Windows 7 64 bit edition.

The small difference on the Crysis benchmark shows that: 1. advertised new improvements are not that big like they (nVIDIA) and 2. Crysis is one hell o a game, even with the new Warhead who's better build and optimized. Still, the difference of one frame on Crysis could mean 5-10 frames on games with lower specs. We will focus on the 3DMark improvements, because, even if they are synthetic benchmarks, they are old enough to show the real gain and they test the overall performance of the driver. But, the article was not intended only as a performance comparison but a more informative one: which driver suits YOU well. With X performance, Y options and support, Z fixes... so on.

Please, let me know further what improvements you want to see, we intend (and we work hard, day and night :) ) to bring you THE nVIDIA ForceWare database. And with support from our laptopvideo2go friends... we'll succeed, no question to that.

P.S. The iMAC is included to: 1. have a 8800M GTS in testings (the CPU does not matter, we compare the same configuration but with different GPU drivers) and 2. To show the MAC users that they are not alone. :)

P.P.S. Salutare și mult respect tuturor românilor care-și fac veacul pe aici. Eu sunt un patriot fanatic și de fiecare dată când văd scrisă/aud limba română pe undeva prin străinătățuri, îmi crește inima. :P

Edited by CQSTELUSH

Well, the results are not average, every configuration got a OS. The Dell got Windows XP, The iMAC got Windows VISTA and the ACER, Windows VISTA 64 bit edition and Windows 7 64 bit edition.

The small difference on the Crysis benchmark shows that: 1. advertised new improvements are not that big like they (nVIDIA) and 2. Crysis is one hell o a game, even with the new Warhead who's better build and optimized. Still, the difference of one frame on Crysis could mean 5-10 frames on games with lower specs. We will focus on the 3DMark improvements, because, even if they are synthetic benchmarks, they are old enough to show the real gain and they test the overall performance of the driver. But, the article was not intended only as a performance comparison but a more informative one: which driver suits YOU well. With X performance, Y options and support, Z fixes... so on.

Please, let me know further what improvements you want to see, we intend (and we work hard, day and night :) ) to bring you THE nVIDIA ForceWare database. And with support from our laptopvideo2go friends... we'll succeed, no question to that.

P.S. The iMAC is included to: 1. have a 8800M GTS in testings (the CPU does not matter, we compare the same configuration but with different GPU drivers) and 2. To show the MAC users that they are not alone. :)

P.P.S. Salutare și mult respect tuturor românilor care-și fac veacul pe aici. Eu sunt un patriot fanatic și de fiecare dată când văd scrisă/aud limba română pe undeva prin străinătățuri, îmi crește inima. :P

Sa traiti, romani de pretutindeni!

romaniafireascajpegvr5.jpg

Edited by florescu109

Nice guide. Hopefully it will also be finished :) .

PS: Cand scrieti si voi ceva traduceti, sa inteleaga toti. (Eng: Whenever you write something (in Romanian) you should translate, so that everyone can understand).

Edited by FadeToBlack

Well, we are currently working on it, so don't hope, just wait. :)

Well, when we are posting off-topic and without something interesting... it's not necessarily to translate, I guess.

Edited by CQSTELUSH

Well, we are currently working on it, so don't hope, just wait. :)

Well, when we are posting off-topic and without something interesting... it's not necessarily to translate, I guess.

Wait... do you develop drivers for NVIDIA? or by 'database' do you just mean you benchmark them and make a database of benchmarks, not new forceware releases?

Yes, you understood correctly. We are testing the drivers and make a database with their results and full specs. We are not developing drivers. :)

Interesting article! Will keep on reading later on. :)

Yes, you understood correctly. We are testing the drivers and make a database with their results and full specs. We are not developing drivers. :)

Darn, I was gonna ask you so many questions!

Anyway, WOW, all those benchmarks must have taken you a LONG time. I appreciate your effort!

And they are currently takes us a lot of time also... but we're glad that the article was helpful. Now we are working on the english version and we will make a sticky out here (this will be the place to talk about it, we will link back to laptopvideo2go.com) so everyone could enjoy it better.

P.S. Can I know those questions you have for the developers? I am curious. :)

And they are currently takes us a lot of time also... but we're glad that the article was helpful. Now we are working on the english version and we will make a sticky out here (this will be the place to talk about it, we will link back to laptopvideo2go.com) so everyone could enjoy it better.

P.S. Can I know those questions you have for the developers? I am curious. :)

Who is "we" lol?

I suspect you make more than just one run when benchmarking. I am saying this because on my laptop the results of 3dmark06 have quite some fluctuations, for example I have benchmarked continously for 2 hours, wireless was off so no internet activity to influence the results. But the results varied with up to 150 points between 2 consecutive benchmarks (I have a 9800M).

You have to check your task manager for fluctuations and services that are currently processing data in the background. HDD indexing services, for example (even if it's Windows or 3rd party programs like Google's or MSN's). Even with 100% system idle, the results could still be different. But, this is not aeronautics engineering. I am also conducting some research on a smaller number of drivers (one, exactly, same version for each OS) with differences between platforms. Lots of testings (and this could be a comparison between OSes too, indeed). And the marge of errors will be slimmed down too, I will run each test 10 times and make a average score. How is that sounding? :)

Wow, impressive site. Thank you CQSTELUSH!

Very interesting.

Thanks for the proper translation.

Look forward to seeing more results.

Cheers :-)

In my case Indexing and all those services are off so yes, I suppose you are right, even with an idle system I still get some fluctuations.

I think running the test 10 times and then making an average is definitely the best solution, probably takes hell of a lot of time as well.

Also can you also mention if it is a full 3dmark test or is just the short test that gives the 3dmark. (I think you probably do the long test but is good to know).

Every test is on default. So the readers can compare the results with other tests or... tests on their own.

Hey CQSTELUSH!

Amazing work you've done here!

Posted them back on NBR yet?

I wish I could join in the benchmarking frenzy but alas - whenever I swap drivers, I lose Complete PC Restore functionality.

Go figure.