LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA MCP67M help

Maarij

I have a HP Paviliion dv2700 Notebook and when I first got it, the graphics would work fine most of the time. But after a while, it started stuttering a lot. The game that I mainly played back then was WoW and it would run it fine but then after 10-30mins, the fps would suddenly drop to around 5-10. I also have a temp meter and noticed it would heat up to 93C-94C before doing the fps drop in which it wouuld go down to about ~80C before it started running normal for a while and then drop again. Other games that it has problems with is Diablo 2. The game gets really laggy when I first log on to Battle.Net and you can see the "Diablo II" burning in fire. When I join a game, it runs fine but if I press the tab button to bring up the mini map, it starts lagging like crazy again. It can run starcraft fine and also vista aero runs fine (although DreamScene makes it laggy). What do you guys think the problem is? Should I send it into HP to get it repaired while the warranty is still up?

Thanks for the help.

edit: typos and i have a nvidia 7150M/nforce 630m (mcp67m) integrated gfx

Edited by Maarij

Guest fxliv

omg temps in the 90's are really bad

not even overclocked gaming laptops have that kind of temps ( at least the ones that still want a functional computer by the end of the year )

the reason it starts to have low fps is because your gpu is slowing down to stop itself from melting I'm surprised it didn't just shut down

So..the solution would be to clean the computer and keep it as ventilated as possible

Guest Maarij

i tried opening up the laptop to get to the van and ventilation before to get some dust out but i stopped half way cause this laptop is like crazy to get there, have to take almost the whole thing apart :s. I have used an aerosol can to spray the ventilation ports from the outside but is that a bad idea because the dust just goes back inside the laptop?

Yeah you definitely either got a bad card or you might really need to check that dust isn't clogging your fan or heatsinks.

Another thing you might want to check is make sure the heatsink on the GPU is properly seated and make sure that they didn't

forget to add some sort of thermal transfer material between the GPU and the heatsink I have seen that happen alot.

OR you could try to downclock it to ~300(let the shaders stay at 1000MHZ) and check if it still overheats and downclocks.

if it does well i think you should demand a replacement from HP.

just trying to help.

Good Luck.

okay so i sent it in and and they sent it back and the part they replaced is "assy tibet thermal module(ro)". i've noticed the laptop doesn't heat up as fast now and hasnt gotten to 94/95C. the highest i think i've seen it go is 92C. it ussually heats up to 86/87 when i'm playing a game. seems like it still can't run d2 properly. should i send it back in again? btw, my gfx is an integrated one too, maybe that has sometihgn to do with it?

also, i get this screen when i try to frun 3dmark06 or rivatuner. it gets through the first 3 tests and then does it. what does it mean and should i send it in again??

post-31030-1239650504_thumb.jpg

also, i get this screen when i try to frun 3dmark06 or rivatuner. it gets through the first 3 tests and then does it. what does it mean and should i send it in again??

just plain RivaTuner or when you go to the overclocking page? the reason why it crashes is that it overheats and try's not to damage the card itself. and yes i think you should sent it back again and explain your problem with a little note.

any suggestions on what the note should say this time? last time i sent it back they only replaced the thermal module :\

any suggestions on what the note should say this time?

just explain that your graphics card is still overheating.

good luck

Will reply here instead of in the PM you sent me. As said above, if you feel that there are still problems send it back and see what they can do. It may be possible that some damage has been done to the gpu itself as indicated by the problems you are having. I am almost sure of it.

By the way what are your cpu temps?

i think they are normal. they are around upper 40's or in 50's or lower 60's.

Ok, well see what they can do about the laptop as the gpu may be failing.

Well, I talked to the hp online support first and they told me to install the 179.48 driver and so i did and so far it's working to what i would expect it to be able to. I previously had the orginal drivers installed and then i installed the 177.92 ones and 177.92 worked fine but would eventually stop working if the game was something like WoW but with the 179.48, that doesn't seem to happen.

edit: driver # typos

Edited by Maarij

Problem solved then?

no, nvm. guess i didn't test it out long enough yesterday. played for 10-15 minutes this morning and then it started the lagging stuff again. back to hp :)

just thought i'd ask, but here is the screenshot sectoin of the game that i've been mainly using it to test. The game runs fine for about 10-15 minutes before lagging.

http://us.runesofmagic.com/gallery,list1,1,screenshots.html

Pretty much like any mmorpg but just not as good graphics. Is this too much for this gpu or should it be able to run such a game?

If you have that sort of lag then it is likely that your gpu can run it but other problems are present. Let HP deal with it properly. Some of their laptops have been known to run a bit hot.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MAARIJ

well i got it back again from repair. here are the parts they replaced:

akita speaker assy (FG)

assy mb tibet w/o cpu ff uma

restore: os software

idk why they replaced something with the speaker :s. anyone know what the second one is for though?