LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BIOS Problem

Leoncito

Hi, i have an ACER Extensa 4420 laptop. Original BIOS V1.17

Recently i opened by mistake a file (virus) that burned my BIOS and prevented my laptop from booting with any os or internal/external source. I tried to boot with an old win 98 CD and downloaded with another lap the BIOS files V1.18from the Acer website (ABVXD.VDX - FLASH.SYS - OTA118.exe) , but I can not use it in DOS mode. So I managed to get an usb pen drive with portable XP os, but now the problem is that the executable file (OTA118.exe) says that there is not enough battery or external power to continue. How can I burn the BIOS??

Please help me!!!

:)

First, check what program Acer uses to flash your BIOS. (Rightclick and properties).

To my knowledge they mostly use WinPlash, but I could be wrong. If you know what they use, you can google to see if there's a way to 'force' the BIOS to flash, so it'll ignore the 'not enough external power'-issue.

At least, that's my thought. :)

/edit: made it a little more clear.

Edited by Peter Dackers

The program's name is OTA118.exe (I've downloaded it from Acer's page) and it's supposed to flash the bios from windows. Yes I've read that Acer usually uses Winplash, but not in this case. :)

The problem is that with a usb portable xp I can't install Winplash and use it. And it just wont boot with any hard disk because it turs them off when they try to start windows.

Please, I need help!

:) :P :unsure: :w00t: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Before you said you were able to use the portable XP install but it wouldn't allow you to flash because of the 'low power' error. Now you're telling me you can't use it at all? Or am I missing something here? Did you try to look up on how to force your BIOS to flash?

I downloaded your BIOS file and it seems the program that is used to flash your BIOS is called WFlash.

Also it seems uroscar made a comprehensive guide of all utilities which are used by Acer over here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/lofive....php/t7033.html

Have you tried booting with a BartPE disk? And use your USB stick to store your BIOS file.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do either.

First of all Thank you very much for your time!! :P

Now,

I've downloaded winplash. But i can not use it :) because I can not install winplash. The USB memory boot's with a pre-installed micro version of Windows XP, and I can not install winplash because it uses a virtual unit to boot.

Yes, Uroscar's guide is quite good and very helpful, but I have to install wplash and there is the big problem!

No, I have not tryed BartPE disk yet, but i'll give it a shot! Thank you! :unsure:

I'll stay in touch!

Hopefully it will work! :)

You're most welcome and I'd be happy to hear how things turn out.

And if you boot from BartPE, just run the OTA118.exe from a USB stick, that should do the trick. :)

Edited by Peter Dackers

• 3 weeks later...

It finally works!!!!!

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:unsure: :P :P

:)

:w00t: :unsure: :unsure:

:) :P :unsure:

Glad to hear that! :) And you are most welcome.

• 1 month later...
You're most welcome and I'd be happy to hear how things turn out.

And if you boot from BartPE, just run the OTA118.exe from a USB stick, that should do the trick. :P

Sadly, I tried this solution for my problem with the exact same machine, and I got the same message as the original poster - "No AC adapter connected or battery is lower than 20%. Flash procedure will be cancelled". It gives me an OK button along with the message. When I click on the OK button, it exits OTA118.exe. Can anyone help with a suggestion :) :) ?