LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5x.xx Drivers - problem turning off I8500 LCD

Guest xeonburn

Guest xeonburn

I am using the 53.03 drivers and associated INF from this site on a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Geforce 4200 Go, WSXGA+ I believe (1680x1050 native res)... However, the drivers seem to be having a problem turning my monitor off... instead of the screen just going black it dims over a long period of time, getting really fuzzing and gradually turning red, and then to a lite grey color, but the monitor never actually turns off. It is still on. Has anyone experienced and/or found a solution to this? I have tried later versions of the driver and they have the same problem.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• ®®®

• ThE NiTz

Xeonburn,

The problem is a very common on Dells

Try the following INF with 56.56 (from another post with similar problem)

56.56 INF

If this doesn't work then I'm at a loss for now.

Pieter.

r.y.a.n., did you had (by chance) time to test, if 52.18 or 52.22 work? They seem to be the same family and i think they should work fine. I havent tested, but would love to hear that they work for us.

xeonburn, i can't promise anything, but try this thread and the regfile http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=316

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GrimSage

I kind of have the same problem. I have the same system and my screen will not turn off. THe picture will blank as I have that set as my screensaver but the LCD will not turn off. I close my lid which used to turn off the LCD but now it just stays on. I tried the regfix but that did not work. I looked for the 52.16 but I couldnt find them. ANy other idea's.

Guest razornitefire99

ok im new here but maybe i can add some insite. i have a dell inspiron 8500 with a new idenical configiration as r.y.a.n. after contunus problems with the 5x.xx drivers and the lid backlit i decided to go through the driver sets and modified inf to see if i could get any to work. finaly when i tried the 52.13 drivers with the 11.65 modified inf it fixed the backlit display. but i didnt not feel the performance (especialy on unreal 2oo4) was up to snuff. so i then tried the 53.03 speed and quality mod drivers with the 11.68 inf and back to the same old backlit not turning off problem. I can only assume that maybe there is something in the 11.65 inf that lets the backlit turn off correctly that the modified 11.68 does not. i hope this might lead to some sort of solution.

john

Attach the 11.68 INF to the post so others can try it.

I don't keep older INFs :) as it would be imposiible to sort them all.

Pieter.

Guest razornitefire99

all the modified files that i got were off your (pieter's) website in the modded inf section. also the 11.68 was the one that did not work. the 11.65 was the last one that i tried that had a working lid backlight.

john

Guest Pilchard

I followed razornitefire99 posts, (thaks dude!), and 52.13 with the 11.65 inf and all is cushdy! The backlight now goes off as it should.

Thanks for your help guys. It'll do for now! Time to use my laptop to get some work done for a change! hehe.

Guest razornitefire99

now the question is how can we change the 20.19 inf so that it works correctly with dell 8500's and their gf4200's . there is a performance loss at least with unreal 2004 that i could clearly see and if we could somehow mod the inf so that we get the best of both worlds. also on a side note, pieter if u are willing to send me a screen name for aim, msn, or yahoo i can offer some testing on any tweeks you have. if u want any help email me a JohnL18-2@juno.com .

Guest razornitefire99

personaly i dont see a diffrence between the 56.64 , 53.03 quality and speed mod, and 44.68 drivers. there might be a slight diffrence but from what i can see they are all pretty much the same. the 52.13 driver fixes the backlit problem with the dell 8500 w/ gf4200go but their is a noticable drop in at least unreal 2004 performance. i have not tested any other drivers for performance but all the rest of the 5x.xx drivers dont fix the backlit prob. hope this helps

john

Guest razornitefire99

oops i made a mistake about the 44.67 the 3 i used were 44.87 (from dell) which i currently use, 56.64, and the 53.03 quality and speed mod. the only reason i use the 44.87 currently is becuase 56.64 and 53.03 have the backlit problem with the dell notebooks. i dont use the 52.13 driver becuase it negativly effects unreal 2004 performance. luckely the dell driver works with unreal 2004 but for some games (namely legacy of kain: devience) you need a higher driver. so if its possible i would like to help in fixing this dell problem so that we can allll be happy :) so pieter email me if u like :)

Guest pxleyes

I tried out those Dell drivers again. The performance seems somewhat slower than the 56.55s, BUt it removes the lag that occurs with them. Also, did you notice that with the Dell drivers you CANT turn off anisotropic filtering through the drivers settings?

I wonder if there is a way around that.

Guest pxleyes

2 thumbs DOWN to the starstorm 53.03 drivers. Wow, they sucks. They look horrible and performance is nothing to scream about. Im trying the 56.64s again next, with a few changes to the 2K4 ini file.

So my Lid fix reg tweak I added as of v20.15+ of my INFs isn't working ?

Pieter.