LaptopVideo2Go Forums

UT2004 Performance Testimonials

Guest pxleyes

Guest pxleyes

To start off, after trying about 5-6 different drivers with different settings, I have determined that the 56.55s work the best on UT2004 when you have a GeForce4 Go 4200.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Angel

I have i8500 4200 Go 64MB, the best driver that works for me is 61.11 with the modded inf. I'm getting an avg of 47fps at 1280x800 on higher settings and the graphics is smooth... it's awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, only people that have the I8500 gf4 4200 go play UT2k4?

i have a (see above).

yeah, i had a hell of a time with many drivers. 56.72 and 56.82 were not working. got alot of graphical issues

i put on the 61.12 and ######, did the game screem. i am getting great performance (have not turned on the framerate viewer yet, what is the hotkey in ut2k4 for that?). i used to run the 53.03 with Terephys mod .inf, and that made my system run smooth. infact, the only reason i began upgrading again, was due to the major issues with quite a few new games, that early FW drivers had. the 61.12 seems to run things at optimal performance again. The only issue i am having is that my TV-out does not work.

as i stated, UT2k4 is running really smooth. i am also running at

1280x800 with settings to medium/high. i will edit and report FPS when i figure out how to turn it on

enough talking, time to frag (cya in my scope)

-D6

wow, only people that have the I8500 gf4 4200 go play UT2k4?

i have a (see above).

yeah, i had a hell of a time with many drivers. 56.72 and 56.82 were not working. got alot of graphical issues

i put on the 61.12 and ######, did the game screem. i am getting great performance (have not turned on the framerate viewer yet, what is the hotkey in ut2k4 for that?). i used to run the 53.03 with Terephys mod .inf, and that made my system run smooth. infact, the only reason i began upgrading again, was due to the major issues with quite a few new games, that early FW drivers had. the 61.12 seems to run things at optimal performance again. The only issue i am having is that my TV-out does not work.

as i stated, UT2k4 is running really smooth. i am also running at

1280x800 with settings to medium/high. i will edit and report FPS when i figure out how to turn it on

enough talking, time to frag (cya in my scope)

-D6

hey i play ut2004 with 4403's and im oved at 225/500 and i have it on 1600X1200 with everything on high, and i get no screen lag, isnt this a dx8.1 game?

niTz

nice nitz. your 8500 looks really tricked out. You buy those parts seperatly, from dell parts and accessories? ive got the 80 gig drive, but i would rather have a 7200rpm drive. More importantly i would like to get a dx9 card in this thing. hows the heat? do you have to do anything special to keep the GPU from frying?

thanks ur systems not bad either considering its exactly the same thing :P

yeah i got them thru dell spare parts the part numbers for the hd N2890, and the 5650 128mb gpu is N1539 total came out total was 546. 00, and for the gpu if u dont modded it like it shows on this website ur system like mine will shutdown in less then 10 mins upon starting a game Got HeAt

good luck :)

oh bye the way i play ut04 with my 4200, i havent modded my 5650 yet finally got the cash to buy the parts :)

LOL, nice man. that really doesnt seem that hard eiather. I work in a organic chemistry labratory. i have access to pure acids and high grade acatone. (its my mechanical skill with sensitive computer components i would worry about). i might have to try that. your right, though, the 4200 is still a great card for now.

-D6

oh these laptop parts just touch the bottom of the system or the back wheres it metal and ur safe just make sure u touch here and there a few times, u should be safe ive taken my whole unit apart a few times (get all the bugs out)

if u need more info on how to get to the gpu just go here How to GPU

later

niTz :)

heheh,

<----- Dell complete care owner.

Ive been trained by dell onsight technicians in breaking these things down (ive seen it done so many times). they are streamlined for getting in and out of with swapping parts.

hey nitz, youve never run accross a screw map for our system, have you? that would be really nice

heheh,

<----- Dell complete care owner.

Ive been trained by dell onsight technicians in breaking these things down (ive seen it done so many times). they are streamlined for getting in and out of with swapping parts.

hey nitz, youve never run accross a screw map for our system, have you? that would be really nice

yeah i got acomplete care deal too,

yeah laptops are pretty streamlined for that

and whats a screw map

sorry, that is images of each layer you take off, (mobo/top plastics, etc) and some designation wich screw holes are supposed to actually have a screw in them. by the time these things break down, i am a little lost in wich screw returns where, when building it back up. not a big problem, just wondering if during your modding, you ran into some good schematics on how exactly to put these things back together (to double check i havnt put a screw in the wrong place)

somthing very similar to the link you just posted on getting the video card out, just all the way down to MoBo removal. i currently have two MoBo from the I8500, and a broken USB port on my currently working I8500. The Computer repair store wants $130 to soldier in the new USB port it they ahve to break down the whole laptop (i will salvage it off the bad MoBo). If i can break it down, and just deliver them the MoBo to take the bad port off, and put in the workin one, it will cost me 45$ (i have 0 soldiering skillz).

Infact, if you dont have somewhere that shows breaking down the I8500 all the way down to its base componants, i might just make one

BTW you have some really usefull links here, i am going to start an appropriate thread, and repost them.

-D6

yeah those screws are a pain i had like 5 in the wrong place but after a few times of taking the system apart ive memorized where they all go, i havent seen any guides on mobo's and y pay ur local comp store didnt u get a compete care deal with dell, that be cool if u make a break down it be pretty usefull to alot of people and thanks

good luck

niTz

• 1 year later...

Hello all. New to this post. I finally got the Nvidia go5650 installed in my Dell Lat 800 similar to the Insp 8600. 1GB ram. 1.7 GHz proc. It plays older games like and Battlefield, AoM just fine. Thats at no overclocking the card. When I try to play Star Wars Galaxies or San Andreas (and even MoH) there is nothing but slowness. So I overclocked to 350/600 (default is 276/590) and it will either blue screen or freeze the game when I run them. Ive tried lower and higher settings. Is this card just junk or what??? Oh I have Windows XP SP2 all patches and the latest Dell patches for the video because the Nvidia website ones dont work 4 some reason. Any suggestions would be gr8...Thanks

sincerely,

gaming on a desktop 4 now :)

the reason its freezing is most likely heat, u probably dont have the gpu modded and the regular dellheat pad cant do all the much, so i would hold off on that. what settings are u trying to run Galaxies and San Andrease on and what driver version are u using? have u tried a driver from the site?

the niTz

Edited by ®®®

The driver Im using is the one from Dell's site. I tried to use the one from NVidia but that didnt work. Either. I can run San Andreas at 800x600. Galaxies minimum is 1024x768.

try the drivers on this site they should give u better performance then the dell ones, the only thing is with drivers its a hit and miss game, so i would try 77.76 http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/75series/7776.exe and the inf http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/75series/7776inf/nv4_disp.inf . i have'nt tested these yet but will today @ work when no ones looking. run the exe and just extract it to ur desktop and go into the folder and erase the nv4_disp.inf in there and save the other link in there and uninstall ur dell nv drivers and install these either by setup or by device manager

hope that helps

the niTz

Thanks that worked, everything runs smooth with no OC. Just an FYI. I was running 67.42 drivers. Galaxies supported is 71.89 and you gave me the link for 77.76 (forceware)

Thanks alot...

no problem the 5650 is a decent card unlike what the microsoft game advisor says :)

the niTz