LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need a modified det 29.80 inf

Guest zman982

Guest zman982

Hi

I need a mod inf for the det 29.80 driver since I have a geforce 4 440 go and an inspiron 8100 w/a 15" Hitachi SXGA (1400x1050) screen and can't use any drivers above the 2x.xx series.

I just need the inf to include my video card in the inf and my 1400x1050 res.

If u have one please email me at zman982@msn.com.

Also if needed here is the original inf for the 29.80 driver.

nv4_disp.inf

Are you sure that you can't run any 4x.xx drivers?

Maybe you could try the Inspiron 8200 42.58 drivers?

You really shouldn't even think about running any 2x.xx because they are really old and have problems with lots of newer games.

Since your laptop is similar to mine you could try this:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?...0&DeviceID=2572

Also I noticed that Dell does not have GeForce 4 Go drivers for the I8100.

Did you upgrade the card? Some of the newer drivers have Dell INFs which may work for you.

Guest zman982

Positive, apparently my lcd and >3x.xx drivers has an incompatibility issue which results in the a black screen for my lcd screen. I am able though able to connect and external monitor and use the later drivers you speak of Bill, but for the lcd itself I haven't had any luck with the newer drivers. I would connect my monitor to my laptop but since I'm using this laptop in my class and constantly moving around, it becomes a hassle to constantly change drivers.

Also Bill. to answer your question I did upgrade my laptop video card from a geforce2 go to my current geforce4 440 go. I've checked the forums at the dell site and the only ones I've checked that's been sucessful with the 4x.xx drivers are those who have UXGA monitors.

Since no one else seems to want to help this guy, I will see what I can find out.

First I was wondering where you got this graphics card from? Was it Dell?

Also is it the 64 MB version? When you upgraded it did you replace the display adapter or do anything strange to the flex cable? Even though I wouldn't really know what to mod I will look at your INF as well as the INF of Dells GF 2 Go drivers that they have for your laptop.(44.82) First here is a link to the dell driver page:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.asp...eleaseID=R66301

One thing that is interesting is that even though its not listed, the same driver version is on Pieter's page at this link:

http://files.laptopvideo2go.com/4482.exe

^^The above driver seems to only have a NVDM INF (Dell INF) that list the I8100 in it and I am suspecting that is the same driver as what is found on Dells page.

After looking at it it IS the same INF but the driver files are different, the drivers off of Dell's site have less files.

I am thinking that your Problem has something to do with the resolution settings or maybe your EDID is being interpreted wrong.

Maybe if some body could modify the attached Dell INF to support the GF4 440 Go and whatever settings this guy wants but not change anything else, then It might work for him. Also, where did you get that driver that you are using from?

The INF you posted is for Desktop cards.

Here is what it says in the INF you posted:

NVidia.Nv5 = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"
NVidia.NvVanta = "NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT"
NVidia.NvUltra = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra"
NVidia.Nv5M64 = "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro"
NVidia.Nv10 = "NVIDIA GeForce 256"
NVidia.Nv10DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce DDR"
NVidia.Nv10GL = "NVIDIA Quadro"
NVidia.Nv11 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400"
NVidia.Nv11DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200"
NVidia.Nv11GL = "NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR/EX"
NVidia.NvCrush11 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU"
NVidia.Nv15 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro"
NVidia.Nv15DDR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti"
NVidia.Nv15BR = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra"
NVidia.Nv15GL = "NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro"
NVidia.Nv17.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460"
NVidia.Nv17.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440"
NVidia.Nv17.3 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"
NVidia.Nv17GL.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 500/550 XGL"
NVidia.Nv20 = "NVIDIA GeForce3"
NVidia.Nv20.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200"
NVidia.Nv20.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500"
NVidia.Nv20DCC = "NVIDIA Quadro DCC"
NVidia.Nv25.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600"
NVidia.Nv25.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400"
NVidia.Nv25.4 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200"
NVidia.Nv25GL.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL"
NVidia.Nv25GL.2 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL"
NVidia.Nv25GL.4 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL"

Here is what it says in the Dell INF:

NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.1  = "Dell 8000"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.2  = "Dell 8200"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.3  = "Dell C840"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.4  = "Dell C610"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.5  = "Dell 4100"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.6  = "Dell C810"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.7  = "Dell 8100"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.8  = "Dell 2650"
NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.9  = "Dell V740"

The attached file is the Dell INF.

Just remember zman982 I'm not an expert at this, :stupid: but some people on this forum are. :)

Edit: Fixed grammer and wrong word errrors.

2nd Edit: Also, Welcome to the Forums! :)

NVDM.INF

Zman982,

Sorry about delay, work and sleep get in the way.

Bill's INF might work, but it's for 44.82, there might be files missing/changed since 29.80

Easiest for everybody is when installing use the driver update method via system properties.

Point the driver to the INF for 29.80, then unclick 'Show Compatable Hardware' now choose the Geforce 440 (yes desktop).

Finish installing and reboot.

This should work.

If this fails give me a yell and I'll mod that INF, just that I'm very busy at the moment with new drivers.

Pieter.

I've modded 29.80 to recognise your GPU.

No other changes made to INF.

Pieter.

nv4_disp.inf

Guest zman982

Hi and thank you both for your help. One last question, how can I add the 1400x1050 res in the inf? Thanks again.

@Bill

To answer your queries, I purchased the vid card over eBay, it is indeed the 64MB version and I'm quite sure I didn't do anything strange with the flex cable while installing the card.

*EDIT*

Ok I found a better inf to work with, not sure how much if any changes are needed but I ran across Cybercookie's Frankndriver mod inf for the 28.90 det which includes my vid card and desired res (1400x1050). If you get a chance take a look and let me know what you come up with. Since I cant attacht the inf because its 300KB, please post your email so I can send the file to you or email me at zman982@msn.com.

29.80 was indeed the last known driver to work for that combination. It's been a while since I've heard of this issue so I forget details. The black screen comes up in Windows and not the BIOS?

We are definitely more wiser than back in the day of this issue.

Which BIOS are you running?

First. I'm glad you removed that horrid INF from your post because horizontaly it was really, really big!

Are you sure you can't zip it before you upload it?

Also maybe you could upload it someware else?

I would like to point out that even though this might not fix the problem Dell does have a BIOS update for the card here:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.asp...eleaseID=R60977

Also here is a quick link to the BOIS update for you I8100:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.asp...eleaseID=R57195

and a link to past BOIS versions:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/PreviousVe...=1329&Type=BIOS

Also here is what it says about the BOIS update:

** IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THIS RELEASE ** 1. Users with systems equipped with nVidia video controllers must also download and install an updated video driver when upgrading to this BIOS. Failure to do so may prevent the LCD panel from operating at its optimal resolution or prevent the system from resuming from Standby. Please refer to the list of driver versions and file names below to find the correct driver for your operating system. Operating System Driver Version Driver File Name ------ Windows ME A07 NME1760.EXE Windows 2000 A15 NX2K2964.EXE Windows XP A15 NX2K2964.EXE
Fixes and Enhancements

The following updates were made to the A14 BIOS to create A15: Issues Fixed: 1. Fixed problem under Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 where a Matrox Millennium G450 PCI card installed in a C/Dock or C/DockII PCI slot would be listed in Device Manager with an error. 2. Fixed problem where the hot-key will not respond under ACPI with A/C attached and no batteries installed. 3. Fixed issue in which System Setup displays the wrong capacity for hard disk drives larger than 65GB. 4. Fixed issue in which modular bay and dock media bay drives may not be recognized correctly by SMBIOS under ACPI operating systems. 5. Fixed problem in which SMBIOS fails to notify Dell Open Manage Client Instrumentation of system fan failures. Enhancements: 1. Enhanced BIOS support to ensure Computrace Security Software operates consistently when new BIOS versions are released. 2. Added support for additional LCD panels.

It sounds to me like you might have to actually downgrade your BIOS?

You should tell us what BIOS you have right now for your system AND if you upgraded the BIOS for you graphics card.

You should ask here before upgrading or downgrading to any other BIOS versions.

[Random thought]Also, I was wondering if it was possible to get parts like the display adapter from the I8200 and stick it in the I8100? maybe if you got an I8200 motherboard you could install that? You would have to get a P4-M for your PC if you got an I8200 motherboard.[/Random thought]