LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hibernate problem with 6x.xx

Craig Corp

Hi,

I'm still very psyched that you guys got the back bar issue figured out for us Toshiba users. I'm having a problem though. With the 6x.xx drivers with Pieter's infs with the black bar fix added; if I have MapOSD3ToNV set to 3, my computer does not resume from standby, nor can I get it to hibernate. With MapOSD3ToNV set to 2 (which was suggested by MiniSteve), it resumes from standby just fine, but I still cannot get it to hibernate. Specifically, programs shut down, it goes briefly to the logon screen, then instead of going to the hibernation progress bar screen, it just goes to a black screen (with the back light lit) and does not hibernate. I do not have this problem with 4x.xx drivers or with 52.16. Any ideas as to a solution, I have searched the forums and cannot find this specific problem addressed. Thanks... :)

Hi, Craig...

Since the versions that work all predate that particular switch, try setting it to 0.

I recommend a setting of 1. 0 is no power savings.

Darn it :) I tried it with both settings of 1 and 0 as well as with the entire line inactivated and still can't get it to hibernate (it does standby and resume from standby normally with both those settings, however). Any other thoughts? Is there such thing as a setting of 4 to try out? Any help will be, of course, appreciated. Thanks...

Since Hibernation fails with all modes, I'd drop back to one of the earlier drivers and make sure you don't have something else interfering with Hibernation in general.

If earlier drivers do still work okay we may have a new mystery to solve. I'd start by finding out what's the latest driver version that works correctly. That may give us a clue. At least it's a place to start ...unless someone else has a better idea.

Hi LSodlow,

I don't mean to create a new mystery to solve, but I can't figure it out. Hibernation works fine with all of the 4x.xx drivers, and with 52.16 with the 9.6 inf (which, with Pieter's infs have MapOSD3toNV set to 3, by the way), but with none of the 6x.xx drivers with Pieter's recent infs with the 1400x1050 black bar fix added. I'm assuming because of this that it is the driver that is causing the problem. It definately is not a global hibernation issue as I do not have problems with the earlier drivers. I do not think it is an inf problem, but something with the driver that needs a seperate fix like the black bar issue did, oh well <_<

It's possible the black bar fix could be causing a side effect. Can you try the same driver without the fix to see if the problem remains?

Larry, you raise a good point.

The 24th bit in the EDID defines power management. This bit is not overwritten but from the EDIDs I obtained there are two basic settings:

(24) Power Management and Supported Feature(s):

Stand-By, Suspend, Active Off/Very Low Power,

Preferred Timing Mode

(24) Power Management and Supported Feature(s):

Stand-By, Suspend, Preferred Timing Mode

The fix may not be over-writing enough bits to co-operate with hibernation...

Craig, one attempt might be to test out overwriting the whole EDID with your previously nice working one.

The fix is basically overwriting the bad info just with the appropriate display size, nothing else.

OK, I overwrote the inf section with the black bar fix with the corresponding section from a 4x.xx inf that hibernate works properly with and installed. Of course, I got the black bar since the fix was not present. However, it would not hibernate either. So, the problem doesn't appear to be something present in the black bar fix, but may be something missing from it, perhaps the 24th bit in the EDID that Theraphy mentions above. Any other thoughts or ideas?