LaptopVideo2Go Forums

gf4 420 go vsync and vertex shader problems

Guest kusma

Hi there, thank you for your work so far. I'm currently looking for new-ish drivers for my gf4 420 go, but every solution i have tried yet has got some kind of flaw. I'm a graphics programmer and therefore my requirements might be a bit different than the regular joe.

The original drivers (shipped with my laptop - more than two years old) works great in d3d, but the opengl-drivers are way too outdated. For example, most important extensions are lacking, and the pbuffer-extensions are really buggy.

I have tried both the current version of omegadrivers (v51.76a),as well as 61.77 and 65.73 (both from your site), and all of them gave the same result; great opengl drivers - bad d3d drivers. First of all, all of a sudden, the maximum vertex shader version returned by d3d is 0.0. The old ones supported 1.1. Second, vsync seems to be hard-turned off, and i get horrible tearing where i want my applications to control the buffer swapping.

I do know that 420 only support a subset of vs1.1, but as old drivers emulated shaders with lacking features, i doubt this is the reason. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?

This time, i have some understanding problems.

First of all, all of a sudden, the maximum vertex shader version returned by d3d is 0.0.  The old ones supported 1.1.
With which version does that start. Which are the "Old ones". I'm just curious.
Second, vsync seems to be hard-turned off.
Thats interesting. In D3D or OGL? How did you find that out?

I'm using 66.32, so what I'm seeing may not apply to you. In my case both shader levels and vsync are working properly.

First, find the NvCplEnableAppProfilePage line in your modified inf and set it to 1, then reinstall. (Or just change that value in Regedit under HKLM\Software\nVidia Corporation\Global\nVTweak.)

The vsync setting under "Performance and Quality Settings" should then control both OGL and D3D.

I have a feeling the Shader level is fouled up from a previous driver installation as the 65 and 66 versions all support SM 2.0 (and lower) natively. To force SM 2.0 (and lower) support, add the following line to the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your modified inf:

HKR,, D3D_35173345, %REG_DWORD%, 0x61243847

...and reinstall.

This time, i have some understanding problems.
First of all, all of a sudden, the maximum vertex shader version returned by d3d is 0.0.  The old ones supported 1.1.
Second, vsync seems to be hard-turned off.

LSudlow, thanks, I'll try that :)

The old ones are the drivers that came with my laptop. They seem to be of version 29.40.

It it can help you, I could send you the drivers. My laptop is a Compal ACL10.

It applies to D3D. In OGL i can select default and it works perfectly. There is no selector for D3D, and if I set D3DPRESENTPARAMETERS::FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz to 0, i get tearing. This was not the case with the old driver, and isn't the case on my desktop computer either. Also, i would expect the OGL-slider to apply since there is no slider for D3D, however this can just as well be nvidia and me having different opinions about what is most logical here. I found out about this through programming, as you might have understood already ;)

I'm using 66.32, so what I'm seeing may not apply to you. In my case both shader levels and vsync are working properly.

First, find the NvCplEnableAppProfilePage line in your modified inf and set it to 1, then reinstall. (Or just change that value in Regedit under HKLM\Software\nVidia Corporation\Global\nVTweak.)

The vsync setting under "Performance and Quality Settings" should then control both OGL and D3D.

I have a feeling the Shader level is fouled up from a previous driver installation as the 65 and 66 versions all support SM 2.0 (and lower) natively. To force SM 2.0 (and lower) support, add the following line to the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your modified inf:

HKR,, D3D_35173345, %REG_DWORD%, 0x61243847

...and reinstall.

Okay, tried that now. The vsync-problem worked, but the vshader one didn't. ######, I miss hardware acceleration on those!