nanook ACER Aspire 1705

( amoklebia ACER Aspire 1705 SMi )

pcolis TOSHiBA P10-554

joel / Whorebo TOSHiBA P10-PSP10E-04G17-GR

Scotty Speedman / Toshiba P10-544

Acidspawn / Toshiba P20-304

edited

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I reposted this topic here because i think that it's not a game related problem.

Questions are welcome.

Hi,

I have tested ALL modded and official drivers and here is the result on my toshiba Satellite P10-554 laptop (with a Go5600 - 64Mb).

- The toshiba latest release (44.85) works quite good but is old : got 1800 in 3DMark03

- ALL the modded drivers (>56.77) are VERY slow : 400-500 in 3DMark03

- The official nVidia laptop driver 56.77 works very well: 2300 in 3DMark03

I was verry happy with this 56.77 but now, with HL2, i've got some white textures that seems to be resolved in the newer drivers.

It seems that i'm not the only one that got this problem and would be be very happy if someone could help me.

Thanks to all,

Patrick Colis

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• PColis

• DoZe

• mobilenvidia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some more details (I really hope some experts can help me/us) :

- It's not a heat Problem : running bechmarks during hours with the 56.77 driver and no problem and no performance drop.

- It's not a speedstep problem : running speedstep monitoring tools reports no use of it.

- It should not be a windows system problem : fresh install of windows XP SP2 with up to date bios and last chipset and sound drivers.

- It affects DX AND OpenGL (5fps in doom3 :-( )

- A friend, with a Toshiba Satellite P10-874, had exactly the same problems.

My feeling is : some hardware support was given to the software (in certain circumstances) in the newer (>56.77) or modded drivers.

PLEASE HELP ME, i will answer all your questions with great pleasure and can make all the tests you want.

Sorry for the bad english.

Patrick Colis

Hi i pinned this as reports are more often that the FX 5600Go has obviously a problem with drivers from the 60s and 70s and the only one normal seems to be v56.77.

If people could report in here if they are affected, it would be easier for everbody to have information in one place...

Here are other reports which seem to be affected:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6513

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6364

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6385

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6472

Here's the VideoBIOS thread where most of the users are listed who have a 5600Go in their Laptop, maybe contacting and asking them if they have the same issue would also help:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6280

thats all what i can do right now

Like i said i have no clue, but it could be possible that a weird INF setting for the FX Go5600 is needed and is not included in Pieter's INF as only generic settings are used there.

You could also try the new 71.20 driver which has an original SONY INF inlcuded.

Thanks for your answer.

I've written some more details in the topic 6515 and will try to sums up everything now :

Test system :

Toshiba satellite P10-554 (512Mb RAM)

nVidia Go5600 (64Mb) (details in my profile)

Fresh Windows XP SP2 install

Latest available laptop BIOS (v1.9)

Lastest sound and chipset drivers

AGP 8x enabled

Sideband adressing on

Tested drivers that works quite well :

44.85 (latest Toshiba driver)

56.77 (latest nVidia official laptop driver)

These two drivers give me good result in all games (DX and OpenGL) and good score in every tested benchmark.

- the score in 3DMark03 is 2300 with the 56.77

- the score in Doom3 is 26 fps (timedemo1) with the NV20 rendering path and 18 fps with the ARB2 rendering path (56.77).

- the average fps in HL2 is about 20 fps in 1280x800 with all settings on.

Tested drivers that were very slow (all these drivers give me good image quality but are very slow) :

nVidia laptop drivers 56.82

nVidia laptop drivers 56.87

nVidia laptop drivers 57.64

nVidia laptop drivers 61.12

nVidia laptop drivers 66.10

nVidia laptop drivers 66.12

modded 61.77

modded 66.12 (with and without tweaks)

modded 66.77 (all three INFs)

modded 66.93 (all three INFs)

modded 67.02 (all four INFs)

modded 67.50 (the two INFs)

modded 70.41 (all three INFs)

modded 70.90 (the two INFs)

When saying slow, i meen really constantly slow :

- the score in 3DMark03 is between 400-500

- the score in Doom3 is less then 10 fps (timedemo1) with the NV20 rendering path and less than 5 fps with the ARB2 rendering path.

- the average fps in HL2 is about 10 fps in 640x480 with all settings off

I have'nt any clue myself and would really appreciate help.

I can make all the tests you want to determine the source of problem.

I think many out there have the same problem but doesn't complain because the older drivers are working quite well. But with the latest games, everyone tries to get some more fps using optimized drivers (Doom3 / HL2).

A friend had exactly the same problem and start complaining only because he bought HL2 and try the modded 67.02.

Thanks for your support,

Patrick Colis

joel you seem to bee lucky that the forum suftware accept your name and does NOT show:

*****bo
:) :) Edited by ®®®

Guest Whorebo

Joel = Whorebo as well... :) Just to clear that up, I registered but as noone seemed to realise I went wiht Joel again so that people would know who i was :) :P

I also have tried fresh system install, disabling everything etc and running the games, fresh installing drivers, nothing helps... absolutely nothing...

But, I am loving thr 56.77... but, doesnt solve the problem at hand.

I've tested the 71.20 (original INF) on a clean Windows XP SP2 install without anything installed and it scored as bad as all other drivers.

Patrick Colis

did u tried it without sp2? I hate sp2. It fucks my laptop that ###### hard :/ Couldnt playing any game with that s***. so i reinstalled windows with sp1 and everything is fine now :)

Edited by ®®®

Yes, I had this Problem since the beginning (March 2004) and with XP SP1.

As i already said, i think that many of us were happy with their old drivers and don't much try the newer ones. But having newer drivers becomes necessary with the latests games (doom3, HL2, ...).

Patrick

Guest Scotty Speedman

Hi there!

I've got the same problem! HL2 with white textures on few items or textures. My Notebook - a Toshiba P10-544 gives me the same results as told at the beginning of this threat.

I tried some of that drivers you can download here.

The 67.02 is the driver you need for HL2. Maybe there are more drivers HL2 will work with - I dit not try them yet.

Problem: Other games, like Joint Operations, do not work as they used to be! But on the other hand, you can play HL2 with that 67.02.

I hate those providers who sell that **** FX Go5600 without any driver-updates!

Hope you can understand the words I wrote above - writing in english is very hard for me! :)

Whish you a merry x-mas and happy good year...perhaps with some new mobile drivers which works on my system.

Greets,

Scotty Speedman

Whorebo pls. update your system inforamtion progfile member page settings or whatever, so i can see what kind of laptop you have.

what is PSP10E?? gibt's da keine treffendere Bezeichnung, damit kann ich ja nun gar nichts anfangen. Die nummer kommt doch bestimmt von so nem Aufkleber unten am Laptop, wa? Heisst der nicht irgendwie auch P10-5xx oder irgendwas?

Keine ahnung, die weiss man halt einfach :)

Egal.

Ist das ein deutsches Modell oder EU Ausland oder US oder whatever?

Guest Whorebo

Deutsches Model.

Ja also wenn ich die box dafur hätte wüst ich es auch...

Aber die hab ich halt nett da, und wenn diese blöden blaberla unten am Laptop nix bringen dann kann ih au nix dafur! :) :)

- Satellite P10-231 P4 2.8 GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 40GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD+-R/ +-RW) / PSP10E-3UHWT-GR

- Satellite P10-251 P4 3.0GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 MB DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-Supermulti / PSP10E-4XTET-GR

- Satellite P10-261 P4 2.8GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256 MB DDR/ 40GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-Supermulti / PSP10E-4S0WT-GR

- Satellite P10-831: P4 2.8GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD+-R/ +-RW / PSP10E-3UDET-GR

- Satellite P10-554 P4 2.8GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-Multi (-R-RW-RAM) / PSP10E-00NK5-GR

- Satellite P10-874 P4 3.0GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-R/ RW)

- Satellite P10-874 P4 3.0GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-R/ RW) / PSP10E-04G17-GR

- Satellite P10-133: P4 2.8GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 40GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5100 ???? never seen that before/ DVD+-R+-RW-RAM) / PSP10E-4SVWZ-GR

http://de.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi...vice=DE&ID=2326

There's no 17" LCD dislay size in the product line of TS?! Such Dir ne Nummer aus. Du hast jetzt die Auswahl :) Sie sind FETT, damit Du's leichter erkennst, wa! Was man nich alles macht hier... mann mann

Very interesting !!!

My Toshiba laptop and the one of a friend having the same problems came from Germany too.

®®® : kannst du überprüfen ob wir alle die selbe Video Bios Version haben ?

Patrick

Very interesting !!!

My Toshiba laptop and the one of a friend having the same problems came from Germany too.

What is interesting???

I just posted german P10 numbers?!!

®®® : kannst du überprüfen ob wir alle die selbe Video Bios Version haben ?
Nope, members need to post them here in the VideoBIOS section

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6280 (wuerd mich ja sonst daran tot arbeiten)

Dont' rely on these specifivcations i posted for the german P10.

There's a known (at least for me) problem with TOSHiBA websites regarding the publishing of correct specifications for their Laptops:

- SatelliteP10-874 P4 3.0GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-R/ RW) / number is missing or it's a double entry

- Satellite P10-874 P4 3.0GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 60GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5600/ DVD-R/ RW) / PSP10E-04G17-GR

- Satellite P10-133: P4 2.8GHz HT/ XP Home/ 256+256 DDR/ 40GB/ 15,4TWide/ NV FX 5100 ???? never seen that before/ DVD+-R+-RW-RAM) / PSP10E-4SVWZ-GR

Edited by ®®®

Guest Amoklebia

got your pm, pcolis :)

here are the 3dmark03-scores for my machine:

* 44.01 (one and only issued acer driver for my machine) ~1400

* 50ies with pieter's inf's (i.e. 56.72) ~2350

* 61.77 with pieter's inf ~2525

* 66.93 / 67.03 with pieter's inf ~2350

* 71.20 with pieter's inf ~2350 (i experienced some real bad gaming-conficts with this driver!)

sounds strange that problem you are dealing with :) all in all i suppose it's a hardware defect. however, the real bad thing is, that all of us lappy-users with modified infs can't really adress the manufacturers with such problems :angryfire:

Thanks Amoklebia for the reply, the score seems ok for a go5600. This meens you do not have the same problem reported by other users.

It seems now that only Toshiba users are affected. Toshiba users with a P10 or a P20 (same motherboard).

Also interesting is that only german toshiba laptops seems to be affected... can i be right ?

I asked silver-blue if he had the same performance problems (because he report the same BIOS version as I)

Patrick

i suppose it's a hardware defect.
56.77 is running fine, right PColis? So it's defenetiletuy a SoftwareDeviceSetting in the INF or any other driver than 56.77 has for UNKNOWN reason bad support for FF000179 SUBSYS ID. If something like this could be possible, is another question :)

I ran 3DMark03 with the following results:

63.02 - 2477

67.02 - 2405

No bigger difference between the two. However, I was expecting (when I bought the computer) that it should be able to run FarCry in 1024x768 with at least 50FPS - it can't.

The really strange thing is that I was amazed how well it ran HL2 (20-60FPS) - its totally playable on my machine. Anyways, next time I buy a computer, it will surely be a desktop... with a graphics card that actually is supported by the manufacturer... :)

why?

It gets supported by the LaptopVideo2Go team :)