LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GREAT NEWS for toshiba geforce4 460 go owners!!!!

Guest Risorgimento

Guest Risorgimento

I know this is a long text but I think it is necessary to explain in detail so as to be understood perfectly. And if you are really a toshiba Geforce4 460 go owner I THINK IT IS WORTH the time you'll pass reading this text.

I've been trying for a while any kind of new driver so as to give some fps more to my laptop but I found that sometimes it gets worst than with my original driver until I import a driver from a model just like my computer but with the geforcefx go5600 (Satellite 5205-s705) and it works great I got almost 5840 with 3Dmark 2001 in my Satellite 5205-S505 originally built with a Geforce4 460 go with only 32MB!!

So if you compare the results of Dontknow who says to get about 5650 in 3Dmark 2001 with the same video card and 64MB. So I suppose this must be a great driver and in fact I tried about 30 differents drivers (even the new forceware) and I've never got a better score.

This driver is the detonator 43.36 that you can easily find in the download page of Toshiba anyway one month ago I was searching information for the geforce4 460 go in a japanese web page and I found a guy with the same video card and that had a score of 5900 with 3Dmark 2001 so I wanted to know which computer he owned and finally I discovered that both have the same computer but I couldn't guess from the beginning because the Satellite 5205 series it's called in japan the Dynabook G series

First of all if you don't believe me you can check this page http://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/030205g7/index_j.htm

here you'll find that they are really the same laptop.

So in addition I don't know how but I could enter in the japanese download page of Toshiba and my surprise was that they have and update for the Geforce4 460 go. This is the detonator 43.65 and when I compare the inf from the 43.36 for the geforcefx 5600 I found that they are almost the same and what is better is that this detonator came in all languages so you won't have any problems, also it is WHQL approved and you don't need to make a special process in order to install it just double click in the setup icon and that's it, just because this detonator driver was really made for the Geforce4 460 go.

You can download this driver in the following page: (there you have to download the five files called display1, display2,.....display5 and extract all the files in the same folder)

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/modi...g67/index_j.htm

When I tried again 3Dmark 2001 I got 5845, I couldn't believe it and now I CAN EVEN PLAY UNREAL TURNAMENT 2004 WITH DEFALTS SETTINGS...

I think that everyone with a toshiba laptop from the 5205 series and with a Geforce4 460 go must get this detonator and never be worried in update it anymore. I mean if this driver was made for the technollogy from one year ago there's no sense in trying to install a forceware or something like that if it doesn't fix with all the new features that got the new cards from Nvidia.

And you can verify that it has the Geforce4 460 go in this page:

http://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/dynabook/030205g7/hard.htm

Also it looks like the download page isn't working very good so ALSO PLEASE TRY:

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/modi...040412234144805

___

corrected and added the links, thanks for the INFO!!

Edited by dontknow

now the bad news:

54.01, 56.63 and 56.82 with Original and Pieters INF have Standby issues on 460GO (TS)

the mentioned 43.65 is doing fine (no standby issues), but you can't run 3DMark03, it just quits after loading the first test.

52.16 with 11.xx inf is the last one which works fine on 460Go.

havent tried the 60.72...

Guest risorgimento

About 3Dmark03, it is possible to make it run but you need to force the vertex in option settings (this is because newer detonators force it by default but anyway you'll see that you'll get a great score too).

Guest Falqon

Just so you know, the 32mb cards are often faster. I had a 440go with a 32meg card that actually was faster than with a 440go 64mb card. The reason, the RAM they put in the 32meg cards is faster than the RAM in the 64mb cards.

I modded the Toshiba 43.65 INF to add compatibility with my card (GeForce4 420 Go). After running a few benchmarks, I got a score of 4419 on 3dMark2001 SE. That's up from 4363 with the 53.04 and from 4353 with the StarStorm 56.72X. I had standby/resume issues with the 56.72X.. so I decided to try this driver.. no problems with it now.

Pieter, could you please mod and post this driver? :)

Thanks

Btw.. my laptop is incredibly slow and messy.. needs a reformat soon.. so I should expect a gain at least 100 or more points on 3dmark after reformatting, if I ever get around to doing it. :)

Guest risorgimento

Hey! Raptor I found a driver for the GeForce4 420 go that was posted last year (07-18-2003) so it may be useful for you here is the url:

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/modi...g45/index_j.htm

I know it looks old but as you see Toshiba from Japan has great updates so check this out.. and then chose the best for your laptop.

Guest risorgimento

I just want to remember that in Europe and Asia the 5205 series is known as the 5200 series so if you have a Satellite 5200 with a GeForce4 460 go you'll be sure that this detonator will work perfectly.

I could.. but I can't upload to the forums anymore.. but here's the only things I changed:

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTx86.5.1]

%NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0175.1% = nv4_NV17_WinXP, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0175&SUBSYS_00101179

[NVIDIA.Mfg]

%NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0175.1% = nv4_NV17, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0175&SUBSYS_00101179

; Localizable Strings

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0175.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)"

Alright, I get the hint.

I've modded this INF as well.

This is a special INF for Toshiba's (usable by all though)

I've kept the original Toshiba settings and just added my Tweaks.

The modded INF can be found in the driver section it's NOT on the website !!

Enjoy,

Pieter.

5205-S704, i get 4336 3D2001 Marks with the 56.64 driver

Do you have the Standby Problem with v56.64 like many others (inlcuding me) ?

Guest Texasvigil

:) Texasvigil

GLNO

Hi Guys, just tested the Dynabook 43.65 drivers with original default settings. I have optimized background Windows XP Pro processes & optimize Memory usage.

End Score, 3DMark2001 SE: 6032

DirectX 9.0b Installed

My advice, download these drivers & turn off anything that isn't required to be running - great results on the Geforce4 460 Go 64 when you free up system memory & the CPU.

CONFIG:

Toshiba 5200

2.2GHz Pentium 4 m / Intel 845 Chipset

512 MB RAM

15" UXGA

Geforce4 460 Go 64MB

Windows XP Pro - Optimized Processes & Memory

DirectX 9.0b

Dynabook 43.65 Drivers with Default Settings

Highest 3D2001SE Score: 6032

3DMark2003 Score: Don't bother, the card is only DirectX 7.1 compliant.

Edited by dontknow

i tried to reach the 6000 barrier, but no success (even with optimazation) for me.

You got the 200 Mhz more CPU power which affect your score :)

I wish i could find the right IC type for ClockGen ( http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php ) or .pl file for WCRedit (h-oda) to overclock the CPU. BTW look for Toshiba 5200 and report back if it works. Some other user found that updated ClockGen file some weeks ago.

Guest risorgimento

A new addition from Toshiba Japan, in fact this is just an utility but I think is really great and useful.

It is called "Smoot View" and what it does is simply to zoom the page that you're watching with internet explorer, acrobat reader, any office application (word, excel, etc) or even to increase the size of the desktop icons (But without changing the computer main screen resolution).

I found great this idea just because with satellite 5205 or 5200 the screen resolutions are kind of big so it becomes really difficult to read some web pages. In general the solution is to change the font size in the IE menu but this makes uglier what you're viewing.

So in resume Smooth View increases the size of everything that appears in the window that you are using (font + image) like when you make zoom in or zoom out in other applications.

You just need to press Fn+2 for zooming in and Fn+1 for zooming out, so for Internet Explorer this adds a new feature and for MS Office and A. Reader it is just a shortcut for the zoom option.

In conclusion if you don't like the idea of forcing your view and then having to use glasses because you work a lot of time in front of your laptop using IE, here's a great utility that you can find in the next URL: (you must download the file 1600sviwx.exe)

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/winx...040422220250456

Sorry if you aren't a Toshiba laptop owner but it is exclusive from Toshiba Software so I prevent any error in other laptop.

• 1 year later...

I have a Toshiba 5200. Actually it says PS520C-31P0EP

nVidia GeForce4 460 go (I think 64MB)

I'm trying to get a video card driver that supports DirectX 9.0c. Or, at least, the best driver I can find.

I downloaded the 43.65 drivers described in this thread, and am in the process of trying them out now.

It seems that the last post here is quite old.. (2004)

I guess I should have been more on the ball with keeping my driver up to date... but I never figgured they (nvidia) would just stop supporting it like that. or that Toshiba wouldn't post new drivers after a few months.

I tried downloading a few of the other drivers from this site, but I couldn't extract the archive. I would get a file like "8412.exe". Double click just opens a command prompt window and then crashes (error message).

I looked at the modified INF files. Maybe they won't work for me anyway. Looks like this laptop wants to see "NVIDIA GeForce4 460 Go (Toshiba)".

Well, anyway, hope someone will read my ramblings and let me know if I'm doing the right stuff.

Your download could be corrupted. Try download the driver again. It should self-extract.

I recommend v72.14 for Go 460, but also 67.03 or 67.66.

• 3 months later...
Guest nfrntau

I was amazed to find that this thread had recent updates. I just purchased Hitman Blood Money from Eidos and it won't work on my laptop. So I went searching for new drivers and found this thread. I have a 5205-S703 and have been happy with it up till now. I installed the Direct X 9.0c and didn't seem to incounter any problems. The game won't even start!

I then went to nvidia and found what appears to be new forceware. It tells me to uninstall drivers and when I go to the add/remove programs I don't find anything that says nvidia, nothing!

I must admit I know enough about computers to be dangerous to myself so don't normally mess with the rnning in the background stuff. I tend to crash my computer and end up reinstalling everything when I do.

Can you advise step by step what I can do to get the most out of my Toshiba? I don't know which of the background stuff to turn off and which stuff I must keep running.

Would sure appreciate any info you can spare.

I thought I would add that I don't know how to modify an INF and the only way I know to turn background running items off is by using the msconfig command. If you think I should just give it up let me know, it won't hurt my feelings. Like I said before if you can help it would really be appreciated. At worst I can get my 17 year old nephew to help reconfigure my laptop with your instructions.

One last thought, can the video card on this laptop be swapped or upgraded to a newer more powerful card?

Cheers