LaptopVideo2Go Forums

No driver newer than 53.13 works ...

Guest techred

Guest techred

Hi,

I was very happy to find this site, because now with the 53.13 driver I can run many games on my notebook, great, thanks for that!

But somehow no driver newer than 53.13 works on my Benq 8000 widescreen 1280x854 Notebook - any suggestions, what I could do?

On the other hand the 4x.xx driver also don`t function properly (I wanted to try some of these because I was trying to get Silent Hill 3 running, well of course with 3D Analyze, but no luck ...)

Thanks in advance,

best wishes,

Vic

What is happening, what do we need to fix.

They won't install at all ?, you can't get the resolution ?

More details please.

Guest techred

Hi there,

the point is: first I used 53.04 and it was o.k. but then I tried 53.13 and I saw some nice effects in a game (Conan The dark Axe) which didn´t work with 53.04 - it was a great improvement :P

So I tried some (many indeed) newer drivers than 53.13: I can install them properly but I get only a kind of "safemode" resolution 640x480 8Bit and I can`t change it - it´s a real mystery, maybe the cause is this special 1280x854 resolution :)

Especially for Silent Hill 3 i tried to install various 4x.xx driver: but my resolution 1280x854 is not supported, I can only choose 1280x1024, I suppose I can`t use the 20.55 inf with 4x.xx drivers?

Best wishes,

Vic

P.S.: I love my joybook, but the nvidia mx gpu is really a piece of crap :)

We have other memebers and guests who report problems with that resolution. It must be a hardware specific thing.

I added it now to the list of selectable resoltions in the User Profile, it seemed to be a phantom, that's why it was not listed, every once in a while users pop up with this strange resolution, i haven't even found out a name for this resolution, so i named it ODDXGA :)

My INFs support 1280x854, nVidia default INFs don't, which could be part of the reason.

Have you tried installing a newer driver over the the top of 53.13 and see what happens.(no uninstalling)

Alas these odd resolutions have caused problems with other Laptops as well (Medion comes to mind)

Guest techred

@Admin: oddxga :) that`s a good one

@mobilenvidia:

"My INFs support 1280x854, nVidia default INFs don't, which could be part of the reason."

yeah, before I found this site (you`re really doing a great job here!) I tried drivers from the nVidia page and none of them worked (always same result: this 8Bit safemode resolution)

but as I wrote I cannot even use 800x600 or 1024x768 with drivers higher than 53.13

"Have you tried installing a newer driver over the the top of 53.13 and see what happens.(no uninstalling)"

Yeah, I tried both methods, always same result

"Alas these odd resolutions have caused problems with other Laptops as well (Medion comes to mind)"

that`s for sure, so if we could find a solution, many people would benefit :)

but maybe it is a "hardware" thing and there is no chance

best wishes

techred - tried the mobile 53.81 drivers posted under 50 series drivers?

You could also try MS 54.01 & see what happens.

:) Right, ofelas. Now i also remember that 54.01 from WindowsUpdate helped some people with other problems, too, besides the good old 52.16 :)

Guest techred

I tried both (and many more) - always same result, it`s "zum mäuse melken" like we use to say in Germany, sigh

guess, I have to live with this configuration till the next laptop (with changable gpu) or playstation3

best wishes,

Vic