LaptopVideo2Go Forums

cPax v1.000 | Synaptics cPad Enhancement tool

sn0wl

cPax - Synaptics cPad Enhancer by Kadir AKSU

v1.000 added 12-APR-2005

> This version is obsolete, please use cPax 1.5 here. Thanks.

cPax is a replacement for the original "cPad applications" provided by Toshiba.

You need a Synaptics cPad to use this application. If you install new Synaptics Drivers (7.6 or up), you may not be able to use any current cPad application you may have.

Run cPax Installer and follow on-screen instructions to install the program to your startup folder and Toshiba Console (if you have it installed). After installation you no longer need any setup files. You can also use cPax without installing. Beware that there is no uninstaller.

This application has been tested for more than 3 months but still I take no responsibility of any damage that this application may give, but it shouldn't give any. cPax is freeware and does not include any adware/spyware.

It's NOT recommended to keep the cPad backlight always on as it has a life (about 1000-3000 hours).

Click here to download cPax v1.000

Click here to download Synaptics Driver v7.12.7 MultiLanguage (7.6 or higher is recommended for cPax). If you are having troubles with scrolling after updating to driver 7.12.7, read this topic.

-Features-

- Displays constant and animated wallpaper.

- A digital clock that can be modified in terms of size and position.

- Ability to turn backlight on/off.

- Ability to set an alarm.

- Battery info and low battery alarm.

- Application Launcher to open applications of your wish.

- Winamp control.

- Displays song title.

- Easy access by using Toshiba Controls.

-Notes-

- For animation files should be named as XXX1.bmp, XXX2.bmp, XXX3.bmp, XXX4.bmp ... Also all files must be in \animation\XXX folder.

- You can use small .wav files for alarm tone, just replace supplied Ring.wav file. Tap cPad to stop alarm.

- Please do not leave application name space empty in Application Launcher settings, it will cause malfunctions in cPax.

- Battery alarm will sound when battery level is less than %10.

- If you are missing Signature/Drawing application of original cPad application, you can try SynSketch here. Works for all Synaptics Touchpads (no cPad is needed).

- You can download cPaXtra1 here. It is wallpaper/animation pack for cPax. Just unzip and copy all files to cPax folder in ...\program files\toshiba\cPax.

-Uninstallation-

Uninstallation is easy done manually

1. Kill the running cpax process.

2. delete the cPax folder in c:\%PROGRAMFILES%\Toshiba, but watch your wallpaper folder.

3. delete the cPax entry in the StartMenu StartUp folder.

No files are copied anywhere else.

Thanks to ®®® for great support.

---

Kadir AKSU

Screenshot of the Settings Tool and the actual "N"lightened cPad driven by cPax

cpaxv1000set.jpg

cpaxb10screen.jpg

cpaxb9appl.jpg

(B5:11DLs)

(B6:4DLs)

(B6b:3DLs)

(B7:8DLs)

(B8:22DLs)

(B9:106DLs)

(B10:36DLs)

(RC1:27DLs)

cpaxv1000.exe

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sn0wl

• ®®®

• smax

• TheRealBeezle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Out of this world" (what Pieter would say) :) Works great when paying attention to the readme and settings.txt !

Edited by ®®®

Hehe yeah sorry for that, and to apologize here is beta 2 :)

Clock size change won't effect if you just apply in beta 3, you have to close and open cPax again. There is a bug in backlight change button as well. :)

Will be fixed in next release sorry. :)

works still great for what i selected :) Ilike the option to close cPadx and open it from out of the GUI. Before that i had manually to end the task from the Taskmanager all the time. :)

post-10-11069216120_thumb.gif

Edited by ®®®

Hehe, I added that feature while waiting for you to increase file size limit :)

Anyway I have couple of new features I'm working on. I always welcome suggestions, we are very few to use this application you know...

Shortcut icons to start the most used applications by a fingerstroke like in cPad application on the left side of the light bulb

What about this option to only turn on the cPad light and SubLCD light on and leave the light at the Power button off, which is bugging most of the new TS 5200 series Users as it's too bright. But this is controlled by the SubLCD DLL right?

Few Users: Wait until the word spreadds around the globe :) I already linked this thread in the German TS 5200 forum, but unfortunately the activity slowed down a bit there

Here's the link: http://www.guternet.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164

Edited by ®®®

Yeah sublcd is not releated to cpad, nothing i can do for it and i ll be happy if anyone else can do it for me!

For shortcut thing, i ll work on it but it seems as now, like i said i am very new to coding.

Right now I'm adding new features like a setting to turn backlight off in X seconds, change 24H or 12H system and a custom text maybe.

Bytheway, it will be harder for me to upload newer betas now since filesize is increased a lot with new GUI addition(100k?). Anything we can do about this?

This setting is member group related, so to prevent changing this setting forth and back to 100kb the whole time just mail it to me and i'll attach it in your post.

You should have an 'uploader' member group :)

Still works great :) :) Btw i think noticed the clock size glitch (the clock size was bigger set to 21 than in beta1 or 2), but wasn't sure if it's me who is confused or if there was a weird error in the settings.txt.

Its not a bug, i just changed the value to be height pixels of the clock, rather than some math multiplications divisions and stuff. Anyway I hope you liked this latest beta, since it will last longer than the previous ones :)

I have a canadian edition of the Satellite 5200 with cPad,

I'll try your program as soon as I have some free spot in my schedule!.

Great forum guys! :)

Tropical Dream (member of Neowin.net)

If you have already installed Synaptics v7.12.7 driver there is no need to wait! Just download, extract and start. It really takes only a minute to adjust the settings to your behaviour and then it JUST WORKS GREAT.

Just wait till i released beta 5, I'm adding 2 really nice features ^_^

battery...cough....percenta...cough...and...cough...alarm :)

®®®, can you please update the first topic with related screenshots? Thanks!

From beta 4 (no actual screenshots from beta 5 yet, I ll try to release beta 5 today if i can make it)

post-10-11071675670_thumb.jpg

post-10-11071675671_thumb.jpg

Edited by sn0wl

pls. send a shot from the cpad with the beta5 as i don't have a digital camera

This is fantastic. I've been looking for a program like this since I got my 5105-S701 three years ago. May I be so bold as to suggest making the position of the backlight button customizable? I use the right hand side of the cPad for maximize, minimize, and scroll zones. The top left is currently unassigned - I think a backlight button there would be perfect!

Maybe also selecting from different wallpapers within the folder?

Many thanks for this wonderful program!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will keep them in mind for beta 6.

Any feedback for beta 5 ...?

cPad works still great. I used battery modus and cpad updates properly the status of the property. Now it put in AC and the battery icon is blinking the whole time as it's loading :)

My current config is:

- 2 images in the cpax folder wallpaper1 and 2 (ATAT and stormtrooper) beeing shown alternating every 2 seconds or so (i moved the slider one notch to the right)

- show clock top left, size21 with seconds

- show battery status bottom left

- as it's night i put on the backlight the whole time without turning off automatically after x seconds. But still beeing able to turn it off with the light bulb icon :(

It looks neat :)

What Josh wrote would be indeed a nice feature for the next version, which i await happily. The minimze/maximaize function was always very usefull and now in the new Synaptics version the horizontal and vertical scrolling works better i have the feeling.

Fantastic work , sn0wl :P .

Btw cPax only uses max. 4 MB resources on my Laptop, but i noticed more than 20 for the settings app, but that doesn't count as one will quit that after made the settings.

cPad works still great. I used battery modus and cpad updates properly the status of the property. Now it put in AC and the battery icon is blinking the whole time as it's loading :P
Yeah making that took a while (you can say that from non-daily beta release :) ).
What Josh wrote would be indeed a nice feature for the next version, which i await happily. The minimze/maximaize function was always very usefull and now in the new Synaptics version the horizontal and vertical scrolling works better i have the feeling.

Light button location change has been in my todo list for a while but i keep forgetting using cpad because of my new wireless mouse which eventually makes me use cpad less :P .I guess i ll just give freedom to put it in corners, not x y coordinate.

Btw cPax only uses max. 4 MB resources on my Laptop, but i noticed more than 20 for the settings app, but that doesn't count as one will quit that after made the settings.

More settings more resources :) Yeah do not worry about settings application, it's a resource eater but its there only to change settings as you mentioned.

Anyway what I would like you to test is alarm and low battery alarm features. Hope they both work on and useful. I hate the way Windows notifies low battery. You will probably not miss cPax's low battery alarm. :(

Thanks for the feedback and always keep it coming. I love reading comments. :( And here is my current settings in screenshot ...

post-10-11073051420_thumb.jpg

Guest joshlawless

I like the new features in beta 5, too. Especially the battery monitor. Haven't had a chance to utilize the low battery alarm, yet (although after three years on one battery, it won't take it long to discharge -- ~15min tops).

I had to upgrade to the most recent synaptics driver to utilize cPax, and in doing so, am no longer able to utilize the scroll zone in firefox. Anyone else experience this? I reinstalled both the driver and firefox to no avail.

Anyhoo, thanks a million to you, sn0wl. cPax is now my new favorite Toshiba-specific program, even better than the fan utility that buzzard released (which I didn't see on your list of absolute must-have software): http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/fan.html

:) :) :P

Thanks again,

Josh

I had to upgrade to the most recent synaptics driver to utilize cPax, and in doing so, am no longer able to utilize the scroll zone in firefox. Anyone else experience this? I reinstalled both the driver and firefox to no avail.

Having same problem with Opera and its too annoying. In some installation it works, in some it doesnt. I couldnt figure what effects that. I remember it suddenly started working, no idea how and why. Currently it doesnt work ... :)

Guest joshlawless
Having same problem with Opera and its too annoying. In some installation it works, in some it doesnt. I couldnt figure what effects that. I remember it suddenly started working, no idea how and why. Currently it doesnt work ... :)

I created a bug report entry at bugzilla.mozilla.org: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=280797

You can vote for the bug if you want to encourage the developers to address it.

About beta 5 of cPax - I like that there's a way to indicate that the battery is charging, but I think I'd prefer a different icon (maybe a battery and a plug together) to a flashing one.

If you wouldn't mind some more suggestions, I've done some brainstorming on what I'd love to see on my cpad

• how feasible would an analog clock be?
  • could the backlight be tied to the lid button (turn off when lid closed)?
  • could there be a disk access / cdrom access light?
  • could you up the number of animated frames? I made a really nice animation for the old cPad software with 28 frames
  • how about the option to display an IP address?

Perhaps I've been spoiled by all the information you can display with serious samurize, but I love crowding a display with questionably useful information. :)

Thanks again for the great software. :P

Guest joshlawless

With flagrant disregard to applicable copyright laws, :)

I offer my humble contribution to the utility of the cPad:

Ten wallpapers ripped from the 02/01/97 Calvin and Hobbes strip (suitable for animation)

Enjoy!

wallpaper.gif

p.s. - alert viewers will note that one Calvin is repeated - the original strip had one more dancing Calvin than there were dancing Hobbeses.

calvin_and_hobbes_dancing.rar

I don't use Firefox, and also not sure thats Opera/Firefox related bug, I more doubt on drivers. Anyway I hope this is a problem with Opera/Firefox because it will sure be easier to get it fixed than waiting for synaptics to release a new driver.

About beta 5 of cPax - I like that there's a way to indicate that the battery is charging, but I think I'd prefer a different icon (maybe a battery and a plug together) to a flashing one.
This is really another story, I guess current blinking way is fair enough ...
how feasible would an analog clock be?

I don't think I'm capable of doing it right now.

could the backlight be tied to the lid button (turn off when lid closed)?
I have to retrive lid status from system somehow, if I can figure out that, its possible.
could there be a disk access / cdrom access light?

Same thing with that also. Don't know how to retrive access status.

could you up the number of animated frames? I made a really nice animation for the old cPad software with 28 frames
Sure, will work on it.
how about the option to display an IP address?

Will make application too complicated (all network stuff). That's something I can't do/wouldn't want to do.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions anyway!

Perhaps I've been spoiled by all the information you can display with serious samurize, but I love crowding a display with questionably useful information.

That's why I started this project :)

Great animating wallpaper btw! I will try to see if I can make the wallpaper settings like in original cPad application where you select in various.