LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DivX and XviD stopped working! How to fix?

yazooo

Another problem i have noticed since 77.72 drivers is that these filetype have stopped working, i just hear the sound, no video, which is usually a sign of codec issues, but seeing as i haven't changed those, it must be the change in drivers. anyone noticed this before, got any hints, or do i have to just go back in drivers?

edit: pasted a quick description of HowTo find the VMR checkbox from Guest_JesteR:

1. Go to display properties --> Settings tab

2. Click on advanced`and go to the GeForce FX tab

3. On that side bar that pops up, go to the video overlay settings

4. At the bottom you'll see the Enable VMR box, you know what to do!

edit end

If you are still having troubles like poor VMR quality and/or don't have overlay video, please follow this link.

Edited by sn0wl

that's a fair few acronymns! i downloaded nv tweak, and vmr is on, whatever that is, but still experiencing the same problem

i found the checkbox for VMR, enabled it, and it has made a difference in that i can see something now, but it is still not working properly. jerky, blobs of green, stuttering, basically completely unwatchable. guess i will try and tinker some more.

has anybody got any ideas on this on. my divx and xvid are not working with the latest drivers, vmr enabled does show video, but it is incredibly stuttery, and seems to crash whatever software i use to play the files.

solved it. vmr had to be enabled in my players as well. in BS player, just goto preferences, video, and chose 'use vmr'.

If you have VMR enabled in BSPlayer then your subtitles won't be displayed (if you use subtitles). This isn't supported yet by BSPlayer, but it propably will be supporterd in one of the next versions (it's on their site/forum) ;-)

BTW: when I watch movies with BSPlayer, it is on VMR disabled, and everything looks fine !!

Have you installed the latest DivX code? (DivX 6 is out for some days now) maybe that will solve the problem ?!

greetz

I'm having the same problem with newer drivers - so now sticked to 71 series. After the release of that new overlay dll or something you mentioned, my video files stopped working as well. There is only overlay black screen and sound. When I use VMR option, it uses native video support which makes video quality poor (there is a diagonal line from topleft to bottomright in videos). All I could do was to use older drivers. Anything you suggest ..?

Uninstall the recent High Definition update for WMP 10. That's what's causing that annoying diagonal line when playing videos.

I will try that but wouldn't using VMR decrease quality of video?

VMR is the newer and better technology, but it's much more processor-demanding than hardware overlay is. It's been optional with the FX cards (the first cards that truly supported it), but now it looks like nvidia is making it mandatory with their latest cards and drivers. The PureVideo technology in the 6x.xx cards requires it.

Also, just to make matters muddier, there are two levels of VMR. The original VMR was introduced in DX7, though nobody took advantage of it at the time. It's now referred to as VMR7 because VMR9 was introduced with DX9, providing support for things like video de-interlacing, color correction, High Definition, and other such niceties.

Until now, Windows Media Player 10 only supported VMR7. The new patch that's giving you trouble provides VMR9 support, but doesn't seem to work very well on some cards, including yours and mine.

If you want to do some experimenting, give MPC (Media Player Classic) a try. It supports all levels of VMR and lets you see which options you can enable without bogging your card down.

Lastly, you need to enable VMR in both the driver control panel (on the overlay page) and in whatever media player you use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering. Last time I used MPC it screws up your RealPlayer since it uses Real Alternative. Know if this still happen for MPC now?

Just wondering. Last time I used MPC it screws up your RealPlayer since it uses Real Alternative. Know if this still happen for MPC now?

I don't think it does anymore.

Only one way to find out.

Try the newer drivers 77.76, they fixed some video playback for the FX series cards.

Guest ajg23

Few things:

1) THANK YOU for the VMR fix for Windows Media Player! And before that all the hard work on the drivers, .nfo files, etc!

2) re:

VMR is the newer and better technology, but it's much more processor-demanding than hardware overlay is. It's been optional with the FX cards (the first cards that truly supported it), but now it looks like nvidia is making it mandatory with their latest cards and drivers. The PureVideo technology in the 6x.xx cards requires it.

Does this mean we will NOT be able to use hardware overlay at all? (Implying that we have no choice but to use our processor to do what our video card would otherwise??) Or is this an issue with the current driver set (I didn't have to have VMR enabled to see video before installing 6.14.10.7770 and the 7770.nfo file...)?

3) Is there any reason to d/l WMP 10? (I'm using 9)

Thanks so much again!

Aaron

That was bad wording on my part. By "processor-demanding", I meand GPU (grapnics processor) not CPU. But yes, PureVideo only works with VMR, not hardware overlay.

As far as I know, Media Player 9 and 10 both support VMR7, so you should be fine with MP9.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hrana

It looks like VMR lets me play my videos now, however the performance is horrible. I'm on a Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 1.5 gigs of ram, Quadro FX Go 700 w/ 128 megs of ram. The driver version is 77.76. Before I could smoothly play WMV-HD 720P content and some of the 1080P content, now neither plays without stuttering. The previous drivers were in the 67.xx series. Disabling VMR gives me ugly blobs of color. Any ideas?

Enable VMR in the drivers, but turn off overlays in windows media player, that should do the trick unless I am remembering things wrong... :)

:)

Guest Guest

I've played with every option setting in WMP10 and when any video is playing with VMR enabled the CPU is pegged. I also get a diagonal line when playing videos which I read somewhere is due to the WMPHD DXVA patch. Uninstalling it didn't remove that line so I guess it's a lost cause. Without VMR, I get the blobs that everyone is talking about. Unless anyone has any more ideas, I think I'll have to downgrade back to the 67.xx series because those drivers work very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just gotten my Geforce 6200 and the problems with video have been incredibly frustrating.

To summarize:

Videos won't run in any player, at all, regardless of VMR being enabled or disabled.

Games run fine.

I've gone through the entire colour system song and dance, and done every tweak suggested. Videos refuse to run until I uninstall my drivers. Then, no problems.

ATM I'm downloading v71.84. v66.93 won't work (as far as I understand they don't support the 6200, correct me if I'm wrong).

If this doesn't work I will shout at Nvidia. Loudly, and often, until they release better drivers.

I think the new drivers 77.77 have this bug fixed. A look into the release notes will reveal it.

Guest ManicParroT

Ok, here's my current situation.

I have tried: 61.77, 66.93, 71.84 and 77.77. Having to download them from 56K modem each time, mind.

My Geforce 6200 will only work with 77.77. When I install 71.84, it doesn't recognize the graphics card and exits set up. When I install anything lower, it 'installs' but the drivers don't actually install. Upon reboot, it merrily sits there with no drivers installed.

With 77.77 I have used the registry file so that I can enable VMR. I've done the routine with the colour settings and what not, and I've enabled VMR in WMP as well.

No success.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there anything else I should be doing? Please help!

:)

Your GPU is too new for the older drivers.

There was no support back then for the go6200

Guest Velocity 7

With anything above 71.89 I'm having this annoying problem where high-motion videos reveal some sort of weird jaggy line going from the upper-left of my screen to the lower-right. Using VMR9 solves the issue but is much slower... I would like to stay with Overlay if at all possible.

Note I do not have the WMP10 High Definition update installed (or WMP10 for that matter).

recent High Definition update for WMP 10. That's what's causing that annoying diagonal line when playing videos.

Here's the KB article which might be interesting. The problem description states that it happens with Windows MCE2005:

SYMPTOMS

The play window of a non-Microsoft video player may appear as a black screen when you try to play a TV show that was recorded by using Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

CAUSE

This issue may occur in the following scenario:? A non-Microsoft video player is playing an Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) DVR-MS file.

? You drag another ATSC DVR-MS file into the play window of the player.

Note This issue does not occur in Microsoft Windows Media Player.

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:? Use Microsoft Windows Media Player instead of the non-Microsoft player.

? Install the update that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

888656 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888656 ) Update to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media Player 10