LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Lid standby issue - no black bar 52.16 w/9.6 inf

Tenstrum

I have no black bar with the 52.16/9.6 combo. BUT I do have the issue where if I close my lid, the screen goes black and won't come back no matter what I do. I have to kill the power and reboot. I've tried the reg hacks but nothing has solved the issue so far. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can try? Is upgrading to a newer driver the only solution? I can't do that without getting the black bar... :)

I havne no experience with the 52.16/9.6 combination. However I have used 52.16/11.65 for a long time (correcting the missing comma and setting SoftEDIDs=0, Mobile=2 for the black bar problem) without any standby issue. It takes a few seconds to resume from standby, but finally it does resume. If you wish I can post the inf. I do not know whether it's on line at the moment.

BTW what is your nvidai bios ? 4.17.00.41.C7?

Here it is! Standby issues look to be inf-dependent with 52.16. E.g. using the newly created 20.32 by Pieter compared to 11.65. 20.32 is causing a standby issue to my system at the moment.

Be sure to select the 420 Go Toshiba during installation. I'm very curious to learn if it did change anything with your laptop!

{begin edit}uploaded the version with the corrected SoftEDIDs line :) {end edit}

52.16_11.65.inf

Edited by ministeve

Just exactly how did you install that INF?? I renamed it to the nv4_disp.inf and copied it into the 52.16 drive extraction folder and then reinstalled. I'm still getting the lid close standby issue and NO black bar. I got a NICE error log file this time after killing the power.

I'm going to try a couple of different ways of installing it. BTW - How can I tell what version INF i'm using???

Error Log File:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//

// Watchdog Event Log File

//

LogType: Watchdog

Created: 2004-04-30 12:12:01

TimeZone: 300 - Eastern Standard Time

WindowsVersion: XP

EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//

// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This

// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device

// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your

// display device vendor for any driver updates.

//

ShutdownCount: 544

Shutdown: 0

EaRecovery: 1

EventCount: 3

BreakCount: 3

BugcheckTriggered: 1

DebuggerNotPresent: 1

DriverName: nv4_disp

EventFlag: 1

DeviceClass: Display

DeviceDescription: GeForce4 420 Go Toshiba

HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0175&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_A3

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000A1460 0006000E 000A1460 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000

DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation

DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 52.16

DriverFileVersion: 6.14.10.5216

DriverInternalName: nv4_disp.dll

DriverLegalCopyright: © NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

DriverOriginalFilename: nv4_disp.dll

DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 52.16

DriverProductVersion: 6.14.10.5216

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just exactly how did you install that INF??  I renamed it to the nv4_disp.inf and copied it into the 52.16 drive extraction folder and then reinstalled.  I'm still getting the lid close standby issue and NO black bar. I got a NICE error log file this time after killing the power.

I'm going to try a couple of different ways of installing it.  BTW - How can I tell what version INF i'm using???

I can only tell you what the situation is with win2k. In the inf system folder (here it's C:\WINNT\inf) there is a series of inf's named oemxx.inf. One of those is the nvidia driver's inf renamed (mine is oem5.inf). Since Pieter always adds a head comment inside the file it should be easy to find, look at modification times first then inside.

Concerning installation, I usually go to display|settings|advanced|Display Adaptor|settings|driver|update

(I can't be entirely sure as I'm translating form my localized version)

then I choose to Install from a list or specific location and I broswe to the 52.16 folder, the I choose the inf and susequently the adaptor's model

Using the other choice path (not Install from a list or specific location) it turns out that the installation procedure gets the already installed inf in C:\WINNT\inf.

ministeve YOU'RE A FREAKIN mini-Genius!!!!

NO STANDBY ISSUES!!

NO BLACK BAR ISSUE!!!!!!!!!

And my laptop LCD is back as monitor #1!!!!

NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^_^ :( :( :) :P :P :) :) :P :thumbsup:

oooppssss... ^_^ I forgot to thank Pieter as well!!! :)

You may want to tell other Toshiba owners to try the 52.16 w/9.6 INf and then upgrade to ministeve's 11.65 INF.

oooppssss...   ^_^   I forgot to thank Pieter as well!!!  :)

You may want to tell other Toshiba owners to try the 52.16 w/9.6 INf and then upgrade to ministeve's 11.65 INF.

All credit goes to Pieter. I did nothing except finding a typo.

Your experiments made me curious, I'd like to downgrade to 9.6 to check if it raises a standby issue in my system.

:angry: so thx your guys

it works well

5216/11.65 INF

so good

and when should we get the working 6x.xx

:) :) :( :P :P :(

thx Pieter and ministeve

good.jpg

without your help

i almost decide to put away the laptop

and as i say

toshiba was the worst laptop

technology was so weakness

my personal attitude:I hate JP :angry::angry::angry:

Ministeve,

I assume the above INF 11.65 is your modified one ?

If so then attached is v 11.66 with another SoftEDIDs line fixed, I must have been having a bad day.

I've fixed up some of the other headings (cosmetic only), otherwise it's the same as 11.65.

Have a look at the INF header ! :)

Enjoy,

Pieter.

nv4_disp.inf

credits to the one who deserves it.

cheers :) ministeve

Right I havn't been idle, the brain's been doing overtime.

I need Guinea-pigs for my latest creation, I have modded 61.11 to v11.66.

Completely untested by me.

It's basicly the same as 11.65 but with the nescesary changes for it to wrk with 61.11.

Don't just sit there get installing.

Pieter.

nv4_disp.inf

Thanks Pieter, when I edited the message above I indeed uploaded the fixed version. Initially I uploaded the original 11.65 to avoid confusion but a user tried it without editing so I changed my mind.

Hard day at work, I'll test 61.11/11.66 ASAP

As soon as I can determine what is wrong with my laptop and get it fixed, I'll test. I think my hardware controller has gone bad. I'm stuck in PIO transfer mode instead of DMA and when I try to uninstall/reinstall the ATA controller and reboot, I get BSOD!!! :o In the meantime, my laptop is running like crap!!!! And I can't test. :)

ATA controller installation, try removing them from safe mode.

Then install the latest Chipsetdriver also in safemode (if it will let you)

Hopefully this will fix it.

You have been a bad boy with playing with these settings havn't you :)

Pieter.

It's basicly the same as 11.65 but with the nescesary changes for it to wrk with 61.11.

61.11/11.66 -> black bar

ATA controller installation, try removing them from safe mode.

Then install the latest Chipsetdriver also in safemode (if it will let you)

Hopefully this will fix it.

You have been a bad boy with playing with these settings havn't you :)

Pieter.

maybe

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (835732)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=835732

the reason

it maybe cause blue screen or ata to pio mode

----

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841384

"STOP 0x00000079" error message after you install the security update that is described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011 on a Windows NT 4.0-based computer[/color]

----

edit

should not apply, cuz this is only for NT

----

Edited by dontknow

Right I havn't been idle, the brain's been doing overtime.

Pieter.

@Pieter

I've been running the 61.11 (and 60.60) without too much problems, but switched to 5x.xx series again.

My main problem is that the 60-series make the cpu or gpu running extra hot and so the fan is constantly running. These series however solve the strange Lid Close-problem on Dell (where the screen gets garbled and not turned black).

The 50-series work also excellent, except the Lid Close problem is there.

Is there a miracle-cure yet?

Thanks!

oVan

The lid closure seems to be driver related.

I'm sorry I've spoken with nVidia and they say you can't have it all ( :) )

This and many other projects are on going.

Pieter

I've downloaded the Intel INF update, but no change... :) I may try a complete format, then install a fresh copy of Windows. I'm pretty sure that my Hardware controller is shot... Does anyone know of a program that will test it, or a way of testing it?? (sorry to be getting off the video drivers issue)

instead of your controller i think your registry is shot :)

ata to pio mode

some of my friend got the same problem when using 2000 sp2 and xp

the real reason

who knows,

but uninstall the hotfix

then problem fix

maybe you should try :)

ps

MS04-011: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

Microsoft has released security bulletin MS04-011. The security bulletin contains all the relevant information about the security update, including file manifest information and deployment options. To view the complete security bulletin, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms04-011.mspx

For additional information about known issues that may occur after you install the security update, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Windows 2000 and Windows XP

840997 You cannot view enhanced metafile format graphics files (or EMF image files) that were created in Adobe Illustrator

Windows NT 4.0

841384 STOP 0x00000079" error message appears on a Windows NT 4.0-based computer

Windows 2000

841382 Your Windows 2000-based computer stops responding, you cannot log on to Windows, or your CPU usage for the System process approaches 100 percent

All Platforms

841180 Oracle database service startup process stops responding

For additional information about general issues that may occur when you install software updates that replace the Ntoskrnl.exe file, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

317050 "Disk I/O Error: Status = 00000001" error message occurs when you start the computer

224526 Windows NT 4.0 supports maximum of 7.8-GB system partition

when used MS04-011(835732)

some other strange appearance

like could not access https

Oracle could not start

so try MS04-012 instead of KB823980&KB824146

how to solve the ATA problem

try copy \WINDOWS\LastGood\System32\dllcache or c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

schannel.dll

to c:\WINDOWS\system32

safe mode needed :)