LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Amilo 3438G

Hellfire202

Hi there, new member but ive used the site for ages. I know this is an issue for others using the Amilo 3438G, but as soon as i go past 81.33 driver for the 6800go card the performance drops by around 75%. This also occurs for the 79.30 driver given on the Fujitsu site. I hope i and others can find out why this happens as its a royal pain in the butt. lol.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kemaluyanik

• zipper

• Gordianus

• Bill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the club, everybody with the m3438g has this problem. I hope they solve this problem because the 81.33 is a great driver for performance, but this one doesnt work in BW2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest YetAnotherGuest

I think I have just found out what is the source of the problem with the M3438G/M4438G.

The problem is the "nv4_mini.sys" in the \WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder.

This file has something fishy going in it that the Amilo doesn't like on the FW versions that give bad performance.

You can see this for yourself, install the 81.87, you'll get the performance problems, then open the Windows in "safe mode" by pressing F8 at the start and selecting "Safe Mode".

Then, when in safe mode go to "\WINDOWS\system32\drivers" and replace the "nv4_mini.sys" with the "nv4_mini.sys" from the 81.33 driver version (the highest that I know that doesn't have the problems).

Now, after you reboot back to "normal" windows, the performance should be back to normal.

Now the big question is: What can we do to this problem, other than use the old version of this file??

If any Amilo owners can test whether this indeed works with others than me as well and post their feedback here, it would be great. :) :)

Guest YetAnotherGuest

Ok, need to add something here... I tested this mix of FWs bit more on my machine and like you perhaps could guess, having files from two different FWs does cause some strange behaviour in games, the performance level seems to be a bit erratic and in Far Cry I couldn't get to really play with the HDR on (after I switched it off, I could).

However, even with these problems, (which really aren't all that surprising, all things considering) I am still confident that the problems we are having DO originate from the "nv4_mini.sys", like I said.

Guest TapDance
Ok, need to add something here... I tested this mix of FWs bit more on my machine and like you perhaps could guess, having files from two different FWs does cause some strange behaviour in games, the performance level seems to be a bit erratic and in Far Cry I couldn't get to really play with the HDR on (after I switched it off, I could).

However, even with these problems, (which really aren't all that surprising, all things considering) I am still confident that the problems we are having DO originate from the "nv4_mini.sys", like I said.

I see that the ones who ahs tried this has good results. Maybe someone in here could upload the nv4_mini.sys file from the 81.33 driver. It would make it easier for everyone who haven't downloaded that driver.

Thanks for the tip and hard work :)

Guest YetAnotherGuest

Thanks for the thanks... :)

As I said, I can't guarantee it will work so well that you'll want to keep using it, but if anyone needs just the nv4_mini.sys from the 81.33 ForceWare, you can get it from here: http://www.savefile.com/files/1900519

(just uploaded it there, sorry that I couldn't find any better place to put it)

Guest Tap Dance

I tried installing the 81.89 driver in the way you specified and it works smoothly.

I haven't tried it very long, but so far I haven't noticed any strange behaviour at all. So it seems you may have solved the problem and a BIG thank you are in order :)

Yeah but its not the mini.sys that would cause those probs. I dont get that and i have a 3438G.

hi

thank a lot

i try today change mini.sys 8133 to 8189 and result on 3Dmark is 3700 like 7810 drivers

do you have send some information to nvidia for this probleme ?

:) :) :P

Somebody tried Need for Speed Most Wanted demo with the 8189driver and the 8133 .sys? My whole system hangs for about 5 sec, then it runs for 3sec and then it hangs again. The 7777driver works oke so i'm back to that one.

Guest KillerSneak <DNA-drivers>

Hi.. I´m interested in trying to solve this problem with the DNA-Force drivers. I would appreciate it if some of you could help me out here http://www.dna-drivers.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=1064 on the DNA-drivers site.. I hope i can fix this problem for you guys..

Kind Regards

Wandert van bruggen - KillerSneak

Guest YetAnotherGuest
Somebody tried Need for Speed Most Wanted demo with the 8189driver and the 8133 .sys? My whole system hangs for about 5 sec, then it runs for 3sec and then it hangs again. The 7777driver works oke so i'm back to that one.

Yes, that is the same thing that happens with the Far Cry sometimes as well, with this game you could try testing different graphical settings and especially turning off the "Bloom". (HDR)

HDR really caused problems in the Far Cry.

KillerSneak, could you elaborate a bit about exactly how we could help. Thanks.

hi

i try this afternoon with demo & i have the same probleme

but another game like call of duty, brotherin arm or vietcong2 --> OK no problem

i goback 7810 and NSP work well ? demo problem i dont know

Guest YetAnotherGuest

Gordianus, some games work ok and some don't work quite as well. The NfS problem originates from the mix of the two different ForceWares, very likely.

And as far as for reporting about this to Nvidia is concerned, I haven't (at least), because as silly as it is, the mobile cards aren't officially supported anyway, so I don't think they would give it the time of the day.

I could be wrong, of course.

Gordianus, some games work ok and some don't work quite as well. The NfS problem originates from the mix of the two different ForceWares, very likely.

And as far as for reporting about this to Nvidia is concerned, I haven't (at least), because as silly as it is, the mobile cards aren't officially supported anyway, so I don't think they would give it the time of the day.

I could be wrong, of course.

YetAnotherGuest,

thank for your explanation i think like you

yesterday i asked to nvidia but reply is no support at this time and nvidia is not manufacturer

Guest YetAnotherGuest

City Cobra, could you take some of your time to explain the "Amilo 3438 Performance Bug is fixed" in little more detail, in english, for dumb people like me who don't understand german.

Of course I can use babelfish and like for a "translation", but the resulting gibberish isn't all that much of value to me.

I'd really like to here about this. So, please?

And if all the problems are really now solved, thanks A LOT for letting us know it. :P :)

(sadly however, it also would mean that my 15 minutes of fame are over... :) )

City Cobra, could you take some of your time to explain the "Amilo 3438 Performance Bug is fixed" in little more detail, in english, for dumb people like me who don't understand german.

Download the Graphic Card Bios, install it under Windows, use newest driver like 81.94 with pieters inf and be happy with eg 9000 points in 3dmark03.

thank city cobra :) :)

OOOO...

Just found the thread, and wana get my M3438 running like an Alienware Area-51 m5700!! (well it is the same laptop!! :P look here http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_...KU-DEFAULT#sub)

Is the file I need to update the video bios nvwinflash.zip, and where will I find Pieters (or is that peters?) inf file?

And I take it the file I just downloaded 8194 is just the drivers?

Hi there. Its Hellfire202. Em.. not to sound silly but dos the computer not need to be booted up in dos mode to flash any bios? How do you do it under windows? Just asking how to do it step by step as i dont really take flashing any bios lightly. thanks guys

Got just a new Amilo 4438 and it seems to have the same bug. Btw, this lappy is perhaps made of leftover el cheapo parts as the GPU defaults to 325 MHz and memory 600 MHz - not to say that after the original install the 3D memory setting was 200 MHz...and the original Fujitsu 72.50 driver was locked :) With newer drivers the max clocks seem to be about 360 and 620 - shabby :) Seems the bios is the same as in 3438 so I hope to have guts to flash.