LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba Satellite 5200 WLAN wiring question?

Firztperson

I have a Toshiba PS 522A-VRD1GP 2.4G Laptop. Embarassingly, I'm a technician, disassembled and reassembled my Laptop but neglected to mark the terminals on my WLAN card (PA3171U-1MPC). I have to position the only 2 wires (black and white) on the J1 and J2 terminals on the card. so of course my question is: which terminal (J1 or J2) takes which wire (black or white)?

I expect to be chastised and ridiculed, but please do that AFTER someone gives me the correct wiring positions :)

Many thanks in advance.

white = J1 = MAIN

black = J2 = AUX

Fantastic, thanks for the reply mate, very much appreciated. This small mishap was well worth it considering the result I obtained. I have been following many threads in this brilliant forum concerning the FX5600go cards performance, or lack of more to the point, and thought it was time for more drastic action. With the aid of http://www.irisvista.com/tech/index.htm I decided to get my hands dirty, literally.

Having read an enormous amount of disheartening information on FX5600go display card, and having tried the same alternatives as most people ( drivers, OS reinstals etc ), I thought there must be something I'm missing. One thing was bugging me, why were my idle and load temps so high?! Obviously something to do with the cooling system which must be also tied up with the CPU and GPU cooling, so perhaps there was something amiss in this area. I was right it seemed!

I dropped the temps (according to SpeedFan 4.28), of all monitored areas of the laptop by 20 - 25 degrees!! From and idle temp of 75 - 80, (max load at 95 - 98!!), it now runs at 55 while doing Net surfing and low intensive work, amazing. Playing games at full or near full settings, it maxes out at 65, 30 degrees below previous load conditions.......incredible!

I thoroughly cleaned the innards of the laptop, and quite obviously, devoted special and intensive attention to the video card fan, heat-pipe and heat exchanger components. I also replaced the Heat compound on the SL6K5 chipset and cleaned both heat-transfers surfaces thoroughly before applying new paste. They were quite dusty but not as much as I had imagined they would be, nevertheless the results speak for themselves:

Call of Duty (1600 x 1200 res, detail on extra, most other setting maxed or near 2), plays seemlessly. It wouldnt play before with all settings set to minimum, no exaggeration!!

The Movies, Freedom Fighters (third Reich) and several other games, have been transformed. From utterly unplayable to eminently playable at or on Max settings.

The fan under normal operations, is operating at a much lower duty as well. This mod/clean has transformed this laptop. It is akin to a new machine, infact, all thoughts of selling it have disappeared, Im gunna keep this baby for a year or 2 longer now. It has a new lease of life, at least in respect to gaming. I cant wait to reinstal some more specific benchmark programs, Id removed (Futuremark benchmarking programs as they pointless before, crashing before reaching a result or producing less than 1500 in 3dmark2003 when on the rare occasion it did complete a benchmark).

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I know this topic area has been bugging, irritating and damright infuriating a lot of people, me included up till now!

I have picks of the disassembly, should you think they would be useful. I can send them to you or another admin, just let me know.

Thanks again, and pass the message round... :) More people need to get 'primitive' on their 5600's!

Great info! And great results for you! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Regarding Fx 5600 Go bad performance are you speaking of this thread http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6515 ?

Anyways, looking at some of the picture clearly shows that it's possible to remove the Graphic card (and replace it with say a replacement card, if one would find one?) I think it's time to open up my laptop (3 yr warranty is over) and see for myself :)

Yes I am speaking of that thread and in random cases in different forum sections when I was searching for performance issues related to the 5600. I just did a reinstall of the modded inf 56.77 drivers. With 43 processes running and no adjustment to the driver performance settings, I scored 2178 in 3DMark03.....I'm thrilled with that result since previously it was around 1500! I'll try some other drivers later, any suggestions for this model?

Apart from that, the rear right hand underneath side of the laptop is now unbelievably cool! If nothing else, I must have increased the longevity of the components somewhat?!

By the way, the Cooling system (fan, heatpipe and heat exchanger), were only utilized for the CPU! Correct me if I'm wrong please, but the L305A863 SL6K5 is the Intel chipset id!? The GPU had a no heatsink or external cooler to speak of (it may have had a thin metal plate over it, but this may have also been integral to its construction?). At any rate, the CPU seemed socketed and not soldered. Does this allow an upgrade path for these laptops? I hadn't thought it possible, there is no mention of this as an upgrade option within Toshiba's literature, at least I couldn't find any.

It does seem odd to me that there isnt any 'specific' cooling system for the GPU. I wonder if it is possible to fabric one and use the USB outlets on the laptop itself to power a small fan for instance? Any ideas.

I didn't notice either if it was socketed, I will have to check my pictures later.

Lots to think about. Best of luck, should you decide to pull your system apart. It wasnt the nightmare I had anticipated. Take it nice and slow and get your vacuum cleaner ready.... :)

Great info! And great results for you! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Regarding Fx 5600 Go bad performance are you speaking of this thread http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6515 ?

Anyways, looking at some of the picture clearly shows that it's possible to remove the Graphic card (and replace it with say a replacement card, if one would find one?) I think it's time to open up my laptop (3 yr warranty is over) and see for myself :)

SL6K5 sounds to me like Intel CPU :) . I'm in search for a cheap SL6WZ (P4-M 2,6 Ghz) as probably every Laptop owner with Intel 845 chipset, so that's why. But i could be wrong. I posted a link somewhere in the FAQ where you can look up the SL codes.

And yes P4-M on intel 845MP Chipset is upgradeable.

You know where dissambling guides are RRR:P

Firztperson why are you stucked with 56.77? Try 7 series. I have codec problems after 73.40 but don't know how it will be on your side.

75-80 at idle? Wow this must have been keeping fan on all the time. 60 triggers the fan and keeps it on until temp is back to 50.

I just got my laptop back from service (yay) with my new purdy screen and fan. Screen = rulez, I compared it with a Qosmio next to it and I can clearly say this baby is much better than it, can you believe it's technology is nearly 3 years older??

I hope I never have to open it again - was pain for me trying not to break off some tiny cables.

While I thought everything was going smooth I realized my 2nd ram is broken down. When will I use this laptop without a problem? Now I'm again 512 but will hopefully get a new one. Once you're 1gigs you get addicted. Here is the nice tool from Microsoft I used to make sure problem was with my rams: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp - makes a bootable floppy and tests the ram on the run.