LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Go6800Ultra flash gone wrong

Cosmo°

Hi there,

earlier this week, my dad wanted to upgrade my VBIOS, but unfortunately picked the wrong file. Instead of a Go6800Ultra, the file he got and used was for a Go7800GTX. What happened is that the flashing itself ran fine until the end, when my display turned itself off and wouldn't turn on again anymore.

Bad part is that he made no backup of the original VBIOS and so I began searching for one, which turned out to be rather difficult. I managed to flash several VBIOS versions on a completely black screen, but none of them worked. I then tried to mod VBIOSs to NV41 specs with NiBiTor and managed to get the display on again, started up to Win XP, which then of course wouldn't recognize my graphics card anymore. Next thing I did was uninstalling the old drivers, let Driver Cleaner run over it and after restarting wanted to install the same driver version as I had before the accident. This however turned out to be impossible, as everytime during the install when the screen flashes for a sec on a normal install, the monitor shut itself off again and I lost control over the system.

Last thing I tried was using Windows standard drivers. Installation went fine with those, but as soon as I tried to change my screen resolution to normal spec, it turned off again.

I'm running a Faet V3.6 series notebook (Clevo D900T based), with the optional 17" WUXGA display. Basically, I'd like to know what exactly causes the display to turn off, what can be done about it. Does somebody have an original VBIOS file for me to try flash on?

Thanks a lot!

Indeed, I have been searching their bios section and tried a few versions, but without luck.

Get hold of Clevo support and try them.

Or hopefully someone with a similar machine can backup their BIOS

You'll need the same BIOS you had before you flashed it. I did the same thing on a FX5600 Go, but then I found a guy on this forum (to whom I'm still very thankful) that made a backup copy of his BIOS. He sent it to me and I flashed it, and everything works from then.

bye

I would think anyone with a D900T and a go6800 Ultra should be able to help here.

I tried contacting the Clevo support for my country, but the e-mail from the official site is apparently incorrect or outdated. Perhaps I'll get a reply from the UK service instead.

Also, I'm still trying to mod other Go6800Ultra VBIOS versions to match my system. Am I correct thinking that the IDs that can be modified with NiBiTor are the key to getting my card recognized properly?

Device ID is clear (00C9), as is vendor ID (10DE), not so sure on SUBSYS ID- set for Clevo now (1558) and finally, Board ID which I don't know where to get from. Board ID is also giving me error messages and flash abort under nvflash v5.31. It says the .rom I try to flash on has a different "Board ID [4102]" from the current "Board ID [7009]", however the Board IDs NiBiTor reads from the .rom files I tried so far are completely different (4414 and 494D). Don't know what to make from that.

Then I had a look at the card itself, to see if the stickers would give me a hint. I found one saying "Bios 39.38" and another one saying "D9 42MUT V1.2C", which is the revision I take it.

Thanks for the responses so far, hope we can figure something out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for double-posting, but I still need that VBIOS.

I've contacted forum member nyc718 as he's listed as the only one for my specific combination in the VBIOS reference section and he replied after some days saying he's willing to help, but I haven't heard from him in over a week since. I've also been to the Sager 9880 forums, though I didn't get positive replies there. My notebook's been non-functional for more than 3 weeks now, I really need it for uni and work.

Making a backup isn't much work to do, so if somebody has the D900T/Go6800Ultra combo (VBIOS version 39.38), be so kind and help me out, please.

OK probably we'll get more attention if we put that on the front page :)

Pls. write a ready-to-publish summary of the problem and i'll put it on the frontpage. Thats's all we can do.

... maybe attaching the NERD log if it's possible.

Alright, I just tried to run NERD, but the display wouldn't stay on when Windows came up so I didn't get anything done, but I'll try again tomorrow. Again, thanks for helping :)

Summary:

"I got a Clevo D900T based notebook with a nVidia Go6800 Ultra card. When we wanted to update the system, my dad unfortunately ended up flashing the VBIOS of a Go7800 GTX instead. As a result, the display shut itself off and won't turn on anymore. VBIOS versions of other vendors for my card that I tried eventually lead to a working display again, but as soon as I wanted to do a clean new install of the graphics card drivers or change the resolution, the display is off again.

Since I don't have a backup of my original VBIOS, I'm now searching for somebody that can make a backup of their's. The version number of said VBIOS must be "v5.41.02.39.38".

Apart from various smaller companies, the Clevo D900T/Go6800 Ultra combination is also sold under the Sager 9880 brand."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drizzt
Alright, I just tried to run NERD, but the display wouldn't stay on when Windows came up so I didn't get anything done, but I'll try again tomorrow. Again, thanks for helping :)

Summary:

Since I don't have a backup of my original VBIOS, I'm now searching for somebody that can make a backup of their's. The version number of said VBIOS must be "v5.41.02.39.38".

Apart from various smaller companies, the Clevo D900T/Go6800 Ultra combination is also sold under the Sager 9880 brand."

I own Clevo 900T with the old 6800Ultra v5.41.02.39.38if you tell me how i can back up the video bios I will do it for tou

Well, thanks for the offer drizzt but I'm afraid it won't help me anymore. After 2 months of searching and mailing around several shops and even more forum users, nvision member redeemer was the first person who managed to make a backup. Have to say I was expecting a bit more responses, not only here though.

Anyway, I got his .rom and flashed it, but that was the last thing I could do. Display went off again and now the laptop doesn't respond to anything anymore. No floppy activity (or else I could back-flash, even without a picture by now), no display, nothing. Seems like it must have affected the main BIOS and forced something to skip the floppy completely. The HDD activity LED flashing gives the impression something, perhaps Windows, is being loaded and then stops after some time, though that's no use for me now. I spend countless hours trying to fix the laptop and when I finally got the correct VBIOS version, that happens...

I'm going to send the notebook in to some shop who might be able to get it right again.

Thanks to those who were trying to help out.