LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Overlay Problem

sn0wl

If you are having troubles with video after 71.89 drivers, read on.

Normally you should be getting video with VMR (no overlay) and without VMR (overlay). However in some computers VMR does not work the way it should be. There are graphical problems like diagonal lines and choppy/poor video quality. If you disable VMR in nVidia control panel this time you see blank black screen. This fix 'should' enable overlay layer again. Users reported this also fixes overlay creation problems with WinDVD and Avid programs. Please give feedback if it works.

To fix the problem, you can use Enhancer or apply it manually by finding these lines in INF and changing them accordingly;

HKR,, OverlayMode2, %REG_BINARY%, 50,00,10,00

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%, 01,05,40,01

HKR,, OverlayMode4, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00

After saving, install your driver and restart your computer. I hope this works for you as it did for my Toshiba Satellite 5200-902 with GeForce FX 5600Go.

If you want to try the fix on-the-fly, use the pre-modded INF attached below with Forceware 84.25. If you don't know how to install, you can check drv_quickstart.gifForceware Updater's Quickstart Guide.

nv4_disp.inf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

• Jeroen

• rodri

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it exactly do?

Does it FIX the problem and let you have good quality movie watching with VMR ENABLED, or does it let you watch movies again with VMR DISABLED ?

thanks anyway!

Jeroen.

Edited by Jeroen

It enables overlay layer if it cannot be seen. This should have no effect on VMR. Do you have the problem?

I'm having choppy playback on Divx movies and stuff, but not on dvd's, but I haven't got hardware acceleration enabled in powerdvd (I just checked it now, I thought it was!)

I will test your settings and let you know if it works!

maybe it's good to mention that I'm having the most problems when I watch movies on my TV-out, so it could be that those settings won't fix it for me, as my laptop has some strage tv-out stuff :)

ps: i will also test to enable dvd acceleration in powerdvd and see what it gives

I don't know about DVD playback. In which settings your divx movies play poor? Which player? VMR enabled? Anyway like I told you this fix should only enable video if it gives blank screen when VMR is disabled.

Sorry, I must have missunderstand you.

This is what I'm getting:

Playing DivX movies (propably others too, I don't know for sure) with BSPlayer. VMR is enabled in the nvidia CP, I have it disabled in BSPlayer (if enabled, subtitles won't be shown). I'm having choppy video playback (verry good visible when watching a DivX on my TV). I hadn't got that with drivers before 71.89 I think (don't know for sure), I certainly know I hadn't got it with any 6x.xx drivers or the original ones.

at the moment, I'm running on 84.21, but I didn't watch any DivX on my tv last time, only a DVD yesterday, and I noticed that the quality was good, and it didn't hang!

normally I don't watch dvd's with my laptop on tv, so I don't know if I had this with other drivers.

Okay try this and see if it fixes your poor divx quality problems: use the tweak above and install your drivers again, disable VMR both in nVidia control panel and BS player. I'm looking forward to hear your results.

Yeah, I'm planning to do that in some days, but I haven't got much time at the moment, have lots of work to do for school, but in a week the holidays are there :)

The fix worked well for me, now I'm just puzzled as to why VMR doesn't work at all for me. People say they have bad quality with VMR turned on... I have NO quality when it's on.

WOW, you're my hero!!

Finally I can watch movies without that stupid VMR-function on!

Now I can finally use the terrific Nvidia Purevideo codecs in media player, and use Dscaler!!

Thnx,thnx!!!

One possiblity: Check to be sure you have FastWrites enabled. VMR requires it to be enabled or you'll have horrible lag.

It's already enabled here but makes no difference. In fact I can't disable it, changes back to enabled state :)

Hi, I'm back from holiday now!

I've tested it and it works!!

The quality improvement is really great! (it's like it should be now, and like it was before VMR was used :) )

I haven't got any choppy playback, and also the quality of divx movies is fine again. For example: before this fix, the black in divx movies was grey, and the colors weren't really realistic, where they are again now!

thanks!

I will add this to my inf for the medion md41300 :)

Guest Markeyp
If you are having troubles with video after 71.89 drivers, read on.

Normally you should be getting video with VMR (no overlay) and without VMR (overlay). However in some computers VMR does not work the way it should be. There are graphical problems like diagonal lines in and choppy/poor quality. If you disable VMR in nVidia control panel this time you see blank black screen. This fix 'should' enable overlay layer again. Please give feedback if it works.

To fix the problem, find these lines in INF and change them accordingly;

I have a Sony FE590P with the NVIDIA GeForce GO7400 Driver Version 8.3.2.0, 12/15/2005. I updated the driver following the instuctions on this forum but the driver date still says 12/15/2005, not 3/12/06. But I do have access to both new and old control panels now, so it did change something. Should I update to Forceware 84.25. I seem to have the same problem described here. I did a semi system recovery and reinstalled all the factory drivers. Now when I try to play a DVD using WinDVD or window media player I get the error "Create overlay failed. Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again." Also the screen is black but it plays audio. I can play a DVD using PowerDVD player though. I tried unchecking the Enable VMR switch. But that did nothing. Any suggestions?

Yes, first read drv_quickstart.gifForceware Updater's Quickstart Guide to be exactly sure you are doing the update correct. For quick information, download 84.25 driver and INF file attached in the first topic of this thread, extract 8425.exe and put the INF file in extracted folder overwriting the old one, then launch setup in the folder. Restart your system and see if it fixes overlay problem.

Guest Guest

You are a genius! I used your updated driver 84.25 and INF file and now my DVD player works great. No more overlay problems. Works with WinDVD, Windows Media Player, InterActual, etc... Thank you so much! So should I leave VMR switch off all the time? :)

Yeah you can leave it as it is or try switching whenever you want to. You are welcome, I'm glad it worked ^_^

Hello, I was wondering if anyone was able to get any of the drivers to work on a sony SZ120P Duo with Avid Xpress Pro? I have tried the the inf hacks on this post and none of them are alowing the Avid to use the video overlay. However the overlay is working just fine in windows media player with vrm enabled or disabled.

Is there a certain thing that needs to be done to the inf to make it work with the sony laptops? I understand the hacked inf is working on the hp laptops with the same video card but for some reason no luck on my sony.

The sony has a ton of rediculous redundant software that came with it. I was thinking maybe one of those programs is causing a conflict with the avid software?

My current setup is

Sony SZ120P

T2400 Duo 1.86

Nvidia 7400 go 128

1 gig ram

Windows XP SP2

Avid Xpress 5.2.0

Current Nvidia Force Ware version 84.21 I have also tried 84.25, 84.12, 81.94, I also tut Iried the hacked 77.77 but I get nothing but a blue screen on start up and constent reboots until I choose safe mode etc..

Any help on this matter for this particular laptop would be most appriciated! I figure if anyone can help this is the place.

I am willing to try any driver or any solution that someone thinks will work.

Thanks!

Well replying to this topic, I assume you already downloaded modded INF in THIS thread which when opened, title states "; Pieter's INF version 31.53 including Overlay Fix". Maybe you did something wrong if you tried to change INF yourself. And you are sure on your installation process? Uninstall any nVidia drivers (add/remove programs) and reinstall, carefully reading installation part of the drv_quickstart.gifForceware Updater's Quickstart Guide and see if you are OK this time.

Sorry I have nothing else I can think of right now.

Guest nexus7

I have the exact same problem wth Avid 5.2.4

with Vaio T2300 Duo 1.66 and go7400 Avid does not work. I tried every possible driver combination plese someone help : )

It does not even work with standart drivers that came with your laptop? If it works what is the driver version of it? Can you get video with VMR option off? Did you exactly followed the instructions for VMR fix?

You should be more informative than saying they don't work.

Tell me if you could get any video on WMP when you turn VMR off in Overlay Settings.

Guest nexus7

Sorry you are right

I have video on WMP even if I turn VMR on or off... I have problem with avid. The video is freezed but I hear audio.

I know it's hard to help with very few info but I am ready to respond.

Thanks in advance

So you have video in Avid but it is still. And have no problem with overlay since you tried disabling VMR. I think your problem is caused by something else, not drivers. Could it be codec problems? Did you try restoring your laptop back to factory installation? Anyway my conclusion is that it is not an overlay problem.