LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Anyone overclocked Go 7900GTX yet?

Rilot

I'm awaiting the delivery of my Dell XPS M1710 which has a Go 7900GTX in it. I'd like to know if the card will be clock locked or not, and if not what core speeds am I likely to achieve.

Edited by Rilot

500Mhz Core 600Mhz Memory is what it should come with.

I doubt wether you'll get much higher and have stability.

The go7900 GS should be a better candidate for OCing with only 375Mhz Core

I'm awaiting the delivery of my Dell XPS M1710 which has a Go 7900GTX in it. I'd like to know if the card will be clock locked or not, and if not what core speeds am I likely to achieve.

I just got my M1710 delivered 2 days ago and yes it seems to be clock locked. Overclocks via coolbits didn't seem to have any effect, even after I installed the 84.43 drivers. Will try do a clean uninstall of the vid drivers again tonight and see if that helps. If not, I'm going to try use nibitor/nvflash to try extract and edit the bios anyway. Interestingly, when I got coolbits to determine for me my "optimal frequency", it return 557/722.... nice, if I can actually overclock my laptop :P

According to my drivers, I'm getting idle temps of 60-64C and a working temp of around 65-78C in an ambient temp of around 18-20C.... this sound normal?

Oh, got 3dmark06 score of ~4700 :)

Sounds awesome. I'm no stranger to nibitor so I don't mind having to do it that way. Those autodetect clocks look good.

My M1710 has been delayed due to lack of availability of parts. Was supposed to get it tomorrow but has now been delayed until the 22nd May.

22nd May!? Awww, that sucks. I'm from Australia, and I ordered mine basically the day it came out here (24th April) - got a quote from a salesperson - it only took Dell 4 days to build the laptop (shipped 28th April, arrived 29th, got thru customs 30th) and two days for the courier to deliver (after I got Dell to arrange delivery as soon as I realised it was delivered to the local courier). All this, and I was told that there was supposed to be an expected turnaround of around 16-18 days. Either I'm lucky, or the fact that the entire laptop was packed and assembled in Malaysia was really beneficial due to Australia's close proximity to SE Asia.....

Either way, will keep you posted with my o/c attempts after I finish getting rid of the various pre-installed software I don't need (eg. Dell Support, MS Works, etc)

The latest version of nibitor I could find was 2.8.... I hope this one works

I think mine will come from Ireland as I'm in the UK.

I ordered last friday (28/04/06) with a delivery date of 05/05/06. Now put back to 22/05/06 that a delay of over 200%. I wouldn't have minded if they had said 22nd from the outset but taunting me with a fast delivery and then whipping it away is just cruel :)

Woot! Successfully flashed modded bios into the geforce go 7900 gtx using Nibitor 2.8a and Nvflash 5.31. Tried incrementing the clock speed to 525/650, got 4918 in 3dmark06 (84.43 drivers), no artifacts, temps still around 62-79C's. For reference, on default (500/600), got roughly 4692-4700 before. Will now attempt 550/700 =)

Update: 550/700 is stable, 5138 marks, temps idle at 66-79C. 575/735 seems to be stable with no artifacts too (5334 marks), but load temps are at a toasty 82-84C's (and that's with the fan going nonstop).... interestingly enough, coolbits reckons I should be able to get 630/735 stable... but I'll probably be hitting a scorching 90C at that level so I'm not willing to give that a shot. Tempted to try 600/735 tho... :)

Update 2: Ok, tried 600/735 (5460 in 3dmark06), temp's are still around the low-mid 80's © when under load but there is some minor artifacting (weird shadows on some trees) in tomb raider legend (but none when running 3dmark06). Beginning to think that it's the memory that's causing the artifacting, so will probably lower it back to 600/725 and leave it there. Tomb Raider Legend is now playable at 1920x1200 with next-gen content on (before was getting 18-19fps in the title screen, now it's 20-22fps) :)

Update 3: Didn't like the fact my 7900 was hitting the mid 80's during intense gaming sessions so I lowered the clocks to 590/725 for some slightly more sane temps and stuck a Antec laptop cooler underneath. It's actually pretty useful - with the laptop cooler it never goes above ~84C, while without it my 7900 was hitting a uncomfortably high 87C. If I could somehow mod the cooling used, I'm sure I could reach the promised 630/735 coolbits predicted :P

Edited by zgundam

• 2 weeks later...

What options do I have if I wanna oc my M1710 7900GS version?

What options do I have if I wanna oc my M1710 7900GS version?

Extract your vid's bios with either nvflash or nibitor, edit the clocks and re-flash the modded bios back to your 7900gs. There's a new version of nibitor out (2.9) which might support the go 7900 series, not sure, but the version I used (2.8a) should work fine I reckon. I'm kind of interested on how much perf you can squeeze out of a 7900gs compared to the hotter running go 7900gtx.

Guest stereoviewer

I´m all new to this overclocking business, so I´m very cautious. If I want to OC my GPU, I can just do that by choosing "manual overclocking" and then "indentify optimal frequency" and "apply", right?

I´m all new to this overclocking business, so I´m very cautious. If I want to OC my GPU, I can just do that by choosing "manual overclocking" and then "indentify optimal frequency" and "apply", right?

Yes, if your system lets you to make changes. Your video bios may lock the frequencies or your video driver (from the notebook supplier) may also be locked.