LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New video card for my Dell Inspiron 8500

MrUnlimited

What do you guys recommend. I have now the Nvidia Geforce 4 4200 go 64mb but want to upgrade to at least 128mb. What will fit and where to buy? I know the nVidia Quadro4 FX Go 700 is 128mb and will fit without problems. I found one on Ebay but he will not ship to my country, the Netherlands. Any help?

That Quadro FX 700 is not a Quadro 4 first of all.

Also you can use a FX 5650, but you might have speed problems with that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-8500-860...1QQcmdZViewItem

anyway some quick searching and found that, the buy it now price is pretty good, lower than what I paid for my quadro.

Should just search on ebay for 9Y024 dell and that should get it for you.

Now that you have the part number you could also call Dell, but be prepared to fork over $300+ (as the guy on bay said, list price is $299, which is probably true, Dell still wants $320 for my card)

• 2 months later...

Unless you want the Quadro for the specific's they're designed for, the best performance you're going to get out of this line (i8500, i8600, D800) is the ATI 9600 pro turbo 128MB. I've been doing the research (have a D800 and the 5200 go 64mb bites), and for gaming purp's that's what you want.

BE WARNED - the BIOS in the 8500's doesn't like how hot the stock 9600's run. Read up here>>---->

http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

If you're not comfortable ripping your stuff apart, then you will want to go with the GFFX Go 5650 128MB.

Here's the notes I compiled for my laptop - they should be a direct swap (same form factor on the cards) for your i8500. The source data I started with was on bay-wolf.com. the 5 digit numbers are my best guess at the dell p/n's. If you're using ebay, make sure you read carefully - a LOT of the peeps selling the 128mb cards aren't specific as to whether you're getting the Quadro or the 5650.

Latitude D800 (avoid use of the A05 nVidia drivers ? performance degrades from A04 driver set) ? Compatability with i8500, i8600, i8600c

Quadro FX Go700 128MB (NV31GL) - 9Y024

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5650 Go 128MB - N1539

ATI 9600 Pro Turbo 128MB - F3515

edit - Sorry for late post :) Didn't check how old thread was....

Edited by Puckogre

:) though. Thanks for sharing the compatibility information. Would be a time consuming research if you do it on your own.

This is some old thread bumbage, anyway I have known about the heat mod, its not news to me, but I wouldn't recommend that your average person try it.

Nice of you of course to post the info, don't think I was aware of the BIOS versions and performance. :) :P

One thing I did notice however on baywolfs site that I never noticed before, is that the 8500 graphics card looks like it has the SAME connector on it as my graphics card, this could lead to some interesting modifications in the future... :( :( :P

:) :)

PS:welcome to the forum Puckogre! :P

Edit: Rene you need to fix the smilies, I can't say welcome without it showing the smiley now.

Noes even in the code box I can't say the word normaly.

• 9 months later...
Guest Amado

I'm having trouble finding a 3cm 3cm 1.5mm copper plate around the net, I have already ordered my ATi 9600 Turbo card. Anyone find one for modding? I'm going to go take a walk around my town and see if I can find it. Hopefully I can get it so I can run Vista on my Inspiron 8500.

This is some old thread bumbage, anyway I have known about the heat mod, its not news to me, but I wouldn't recommend that your average person try it.

Nice of you of course to post the info, don't think I was aware of the BIOS versions and performance. :) :P

One thing I did notice however on baywolfs site that I never noticed before, is that the 8500 graphics card looks like it has the SAME connector on it as my graphics card, this could lead to some interesting modifications in the future... :P :rofl: :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

PS:welcome to the forum Puckogre! :(

Edit: Rene you need to fix the smilies, I can't say welcome without it showing the smiley now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Amado

Inspiron 8500, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo 128mb

For my Radeon 9600: I found a copper plate at onlinemetals.com or something. Though they sent me one too large. I cut it but it came out uneven. I tryied modifying my card but flashes of red and white appeared. I put it back together and it worked again. It was overheating and shutting off either way so I had to modify it. I was going to try my second time to modify it but a screw gave out. I had to cut it from behind and I was going to untighten it with pliers. I thought twice not to break anything and OH NO the tinyest little plastic diode broke! - $175 oh well!

So I order a Quadra. It's a nice card and everything but it is terrible for video games. For Everquest 2 the game was extremely laggy. It doesn't even run DirectX 9 completely for Everquest2. It runs Vista and Aero nicely, but the chess game included in Vista tears and is unbearably slow. I returned the card without a problem and ordered another Radeon 9600.

This time I order a tinier slug for the card from onlinemetals.com.

This time the Radeon 9600 overheated and the computer shut down the first time on highest settings for Everquest 2.

Not anymore though. I never modded it, and won't even think about it even if I have the correct sized copper plate.

I turned it on highest settings in Everquest 2, it hasn't overheated at all even once. Thank god! :P

Maybe because I also use a widescreen Notepal by Cooler Master for my laptop. It is a laptop cooler pad to put underneath your computer. It's aluminum and has 2 quiet fans that use USB power. :rofl:

Cool huh! If only I could have gotten a 256mb or higher laptop video card, I wish. Really.

One thing I did notice however on baywolfs site that I never noticed before, is that the 8500 graphics card looks like it has the SAME connector on it as my graphics card, this could lead to some interesting modifications in the future... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :(

:) :(

PS:welcome to the forum Puckogre! :(

Guest Amado

I decided to actually modify my Radeon 9600.

I used a copper plate I ordered from onlinemetals.com with epoxy silver heatsink paste. It cost me about 40 cents plus shipping.

I have overclocked my card about 15mhz, it runs great! No shut downs. :)

Happy gamer :)

Amado Castaneda

I'm having trouble finding a 3cm 3cm 1.5mm copper plate around the net, I have already ordered my ATi 9600 Turbo card. Anyone find one for modding? I'm going to go take a walk around my town and see if I can find it. Hopefully I can get it so I can run Vista on my Inspiron 8500.