LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Area-51m 766 strange keyboard problem

Louis Ceifer

Back again with questions and problems...must be part of owning an Area-51m 766!!! On this occasion it is my keyboard. The other day I encountered a strange problem, every time i tried to access a web page it would randomly and rapidly refresh. I thought maybe it was some sort of spyware or virus so I ran about 20 different apps to be sure...nothing at all...not even a cookie!!! By accident i found out that it seemed to be the F5 key, i was opening a notepad document to paste a url with info when the date and time suddenly appeared....and kept appearing...in rapid succession!!! Also after a reboot on some occasions i am presented with a boot menu...which i thought usually meant pressing F8!!! So now i am under the impression, correctly or incorrectly that the fault lies with the keyboard itself!!!! Has anyone else experienced this problem with ANY keyboard and if so did they find a solution???

So my questions are...

does anyone know how to repair a stuck key and what the likely cause might be (besides the key being stuck)!!! Has anyone ever had this problem for some other reason than a stuck key?? ? finally where on earth can i buy a replacement keyboard if this on is totally buggered!!!

Anyone PLEASE HELP...its driving me insane..try typing a message on a forum with someone sitting next to you pressing the F5 key constantly..i hope i get a reply before i loose my temper with this piece of S h1t!!! Excuse the profanity!!!

Many thanks in advanced!!!!

Back again with questions and problems...must be part of owning an Area-51m 766!!! On this occasion it is my keyboard. The other day I encountered a strange problem, every time i tried to access a web page it would randomly and rapidly refresh. I thought maybe it was some sort of spyware or virus so I ran about 20 different apps to be sure...nothing at all...not even a cookie!!! By accident i found out that it seemed to be the F5 key, i was opening a notepad document to paste a url with info when the date and time suddenly appeared....and kept appearing...in rapid succession!!! Also after a reboot on some occasions i am presented with a boot menu...which i thought usually meant pressing F8!!! So now i am under the impression, correctly or incorrectly that the fault lies with the keyboard itself!!!! Has anyone else experienced this problem with ANY keyboard and if so did they find a solution???

So my questions are...

does anyone know how to repair a stuck key and what the likely cause might be (besides the key being stuck)!!! Has anyone ever had this problem for some other reason than a stuck key?? ? finally where on earth can i buy a replacement keyboard if this on is totally buggered!!!

Anyone PLEASE HELP...its driving me insane..try typing a message on a forum with someone sitting next to you pressing the F5 key constantly..i hope i get a reply before i loose my temper with this piece of S h1t!!! Excuse the profanity!!!

Many thanks in advanced!!!!

Good timing:

My alienware Area-51m just started exhibiting some very strange behavior. All window scrollbars and browser pages would continuously scroll to the bottom. After much investigation (including downloading a keyboard diagnostic) I found out that the PG-DN key was intermittently triggering (more often than not). I used another keyboard program to disable the key for now. These membrane keyboards are susceptible to breakdown. I have treated this laptop very well (e.g. not left the system on with lid closed which is a known problem on the Dell laptops - ironic that Dell bought Alienware, both produce crap). I'd also be interested to know a more permanent solution or perhaps to replace the keyboard (as I suspect more keys may fail).

• 1 month later...

Try removing the keyboard and starting your computer like that. And if you can, remove the keyboard and use a USB keyboard to see if the problem persists.