LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Lid Problem on Dell 9400

RavenChild

I have a Inspiron 9400 / E1705 with a nVidia GeForce Go 7900GS 256Mb. ID: 298.

Running 8.8.6.1 Drivers. These are the only ones I have gotten to work with Aero.

I am running Vista Beta 2.

I am unable to have the screen turn off when I close the lid. Setting the time in the Power Options does not have any effect either.

In short: The screen will not shut off in any way (apart from shutdown/suspend/hibernate).

I have used Vista on this laptop before and did not have these problems. I then installed XP Pro SP2 because some of my development apps would not work under vista. I just recently decided XP was a lost cause and went back to vista. I mainly did this to get rid of the screen closing problem. The video driver install went fine but now my lid still does not cause my screen to turn off and vista is also unable to turn off my screen after setting a time in the power options. Because of this I am starting to think this could be a problem with the hardware and not just the software. Anyone else have any problems such as this or any solutions? Throwing any of the possible search terms for this into google provides no useful results.

Vista is a beta... which in Microsoft words means it's an alpha version. Which in everybody language means THERE ARE ISSUES. Deal with it or file a bug report/complaint.

Your issue is software... I installed Vista on a desktop 7600 GT Aero worked as advertised... a boring pointless crap. This was with Microsoft default driver.

Your problem is probably that Vista handles the lid differently than XP. Ask Dell for a 7900 GS Vista driver.

I just recently decided XP was a lost cause and went back to vista.

:) Could you elaborate around this "lost cause"... I'm pretty sure it will entertain us. :)

Your problem is probably that Vista handles the lid differently than XP.

Haha, no they handle the same way. both don't work. I think it is something dell proprietary. I came here to find out if that was the case.

Haha, no they handle the same way. both don't work. I think it is something dell proprietary. I came here to find out if that was the case.

Let me guess on XP you tried to install the highest driver version you could find... :)

Please do us me a favor... and instead of doing a pissing contest by installing the latest OS and latest driver... install XP SP2 with a Dell driver. Dell released recently a driver that feature wise cover almost everything the latest nVidia driver does. It works fully as a laptop driver should, low power when unplugged, suspend when you close the lid,...

ps: by the way you need to reinstall the new version of Vista... your beta 2 is not the last one. :)

Let me guess on XP you tried to install the highest driver version you could find... :)

Please do us me a favor... and instead of doing a pissing contest by installing the latest OS and latest driver... install XP SP2 with a Dell driver. Dell released recently a driver that feature wise cover almost everything the latest nVidia driver does. It works fully as a laptop driver should, low power when unplugged, suspend when you close the lid,...

ps: by the way you need to reinstall the new version of Vista... your beta 2 is not the last one. :)

Do you have a stick up your arse or do you always act like that? I came here asking a simple question looking for a simple answer. I asked for help from the boards - You aren't of any help. Perhaps there are more people out there with a bit more knowledge than yourself. And about running XP SP2 taken from my above post:

Your problem is probably that Vista handles the lid differently than XP.

Haha, no they handle the same way. both don't work.

I'm a developer who was trying Vista Beta 2 to see what I was to expect. I am very surprised how functional it is and how few bugs it contains. I'm not a fan of microsoft myself but I don't blind myself to the fact that Microsoft is able to release a decent piece of software every once in awhile.

Please do us me a favor... and instead of doing a pissing contest by seeing how often we can bash Microsoft... try to answer a question or just not say anything at all.

ps: by the way, my beta 2 is not the latest one! I'm sure the new version has more bugs to bash microsoft for! :P

I'm a developer who was trying Vista Beta 2 to see what I was to expect.

Then you have an excuse for "testing" Vista... but you seem to lack the analyzing capability required to be a decent developper. Windows XP with Dell drivers WILL switch your laptop to S3 (Suspend to RAM) when you close the lid. If it doesn't work it's because you had something (resident software, service or driver) that is not compatible with the suspend mode. Those are not the only causes...

INVESTIGATE the cause of your issues... don't blame the OS or the OEM behind your hardware.

I'm not a Microsoft basher at all... I bash the bad/pointless products they put on the selves. I loved my w98se so bad that I left it for wXP SP1. On a pro level I enjoyed w2k. Now wXP is a reference on a lot of levels. I bashed Me a lot... and Vista will get some flack too.

I am very surprised how functional it is and how few bugs it contains.
We must have a different meaning behind functional... for me functionnal is like Ubuntu... after 10 minutes of install you have 95% of average joe needs AVAILABLE on the hard disk. But I believe your definition of functional is closer to crash-free. I have to admit for the 2h I used Vista it didn't crash.
try to answer a question or just not say anything at all.

(...)Haha, no they handle the same way. both don't work.

OK... I had exactly the same problem... I had to send my laptop back to Dell. *rolls eyes*

ps: I have a broom up my arse... guess what I shoved it with the large side first. :)

I'm not a Microsoft basher at all... I bash the bad/pointless products they put on the selves.

[...]

I bashed Me a lot...

So then you are a basher yet you aren't? I can understand ME though.

you seem to lack the analyzing capability required to be a decent developper[...]INVESTIGATE the cause of your issues...

Hmm, I wonder why I came here in the first place :)

With the way you seem to be acting, should I avoid this time of month or wait a week to let it pass?

A Question to the rest of the forums:

Do any of you know if this is an issue with a registry key or the current drivers as a whole?

Considering the current level of support in Vista beta2 with graphics card drivers, I would say it is definitely a gf driver issue, and if not that another driver issue, or vista is just broke.