LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overheated GPU in Amilo m 3438g

GZA

Hello, I have an irritating issue with my FSC Amilo 3438.

My configuration is:

Pentium m 2.13

2 Gb ram

2x80 Gb HD Raid 0

GeForce 6800GO

WinXp

Driver ver: been used 7.8.10 from FSC, 8.1.95 and 8.4.25 with moded infs from this forum

With all of these drivers my GPU gets very hot when playing demanding games (NFSWM BE, Doom3 etc.)

The performance is very good but even with no overclocking (by the way it goes up to 385\720 with 8425 driver) the temperature very quickly reches 105 deg and my lappy goes down. Downclocking is not a sollution. I've downclocked to 220\400 and its still the same story. The only way is to set up PowerMizer to optimal insted of maximum power, what keeps the temp at about 90-95 deg. , but the performance is worse although I can still play these games. The most interesting thing is that in drivers provaided by FSC on their website there is no powermizer if not the moded infs from this website there would be no solution. Other thing is that I havent noticed this issue befor upgrading firmare of my GPU. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware to previous version?

Dude you have a serious cooling issue... I can't believe that your GPU get that hot with proper cooling.

Are you sure the fan works?

Are you sure the air intakes are not blocked?

Are you sure there is no dust cluttering the radiator?

On my Dell the 6800Go will max temp at 65°C... when the fan high speed kicks in. This is the reason why I doubt your cooling system.

Powermizer balance uses a clock called Low power 3D... as opposed to Performance 3D.

remark: I can't believe they only provide a driver without Powermizer... *rolls eyes*

Dude you have a serious cooling issue... I can't believe that your GPU get that hot with proper cooling.

Are you sure the fan works?

Are you sure the air intakes are not blocked?

Are you sure there is no dust cluttering the radiator?

Air intakel are not blocked thats for sure.

I think my fan works fine, but Im not 100% sure. At the moment I have 8415 drivers instaled and a strange thing is that I cant turn on FAN ALLLWEYS ON function. I can check the box but it will not remember the option. When check this option I dont notice any diference in the fan sound so its either alllways on anyway or its allways of, or its behavior is controled in some other way.

And about the dust I dont thik there is that mauch in there to cose such a temperature. Maybr I'll open my lappy to check this out.

BTW. other amilo 3438 users have encounter this issue as well. Check this thred:

overheating

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

As i can see alot of users have this overheating problem.

(including me)

thats sad.

i think that the problem is in the coolers of all 3438g.

and i think there is no FAN at all for the GPU

just a fan for tge CPU

AFAIR "Fan always on" option only works on desktop GPUs. On laptop the fan core logic is handled differently... which is a mix of both CPU and GPU temperature (I hope) on laptop that have only one fan. :)

The problem seems to ly more in the poor quality heatpad. Mine is just fine. The fan is adequate enough.

AFAIR "Fan always on" option only works on desktop GPUs. On laptop the fan core logic is handled differently... which is a mix of both CPU and GPU temperature (I hope) on laptop that have only one fan. :)

It lets me check that off on my laptop.....And it remembers it too so its either not doing anything or your post doesnt apply to all laptops.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

Ok about the overheating problem.

I have just opened the amilo and the Cooling for the GPU is awful.

It just cant hadle the temperature of the 6800.

Facts:

BAD heat sink.

When in DC mode - it heats real FAST due to the high performance of the GPU

On Battery mode - it heats slower but for 30 min gaming it will reach more than 110C.

In 2D Mode DC - 80C

In 2D Mode Battery - 70C

In 3D mode - OVERHEAT for no more than 30min

(this temps are at more then 35C in the room)

What i have tried and it didnt work.

1) Opening the lap and Changing the Pads betwin the GPU and the heatsink.

(tried just thermal paste, and just with the old pads0

Result: The contact betwin the heat sink and GPU is 100% working,

The problemes comes from the heatsink it self. It heats and cant cool down with 1 fan.

2)Lift up the Lapt. so there is enoght space betwin the heatsink and ground.

Same thing. It Overheats! There is no air flow.

So it makes no differens.

Solutions:

1)Ask our vendor for better cooling.

2) Slow down the GPU.

You can do that with the NVIDIA PowerMizer.

This will gratly lower the FPS.

I got a drop down of 11000 points to 3000 points in 3D mark 2001.

3) think of a way to make air flow.

From the GPU to the fan.

Place a small fan at the bottom of the lap.

SAD but TRUE :)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok about the overheating problem.

I have just opened the amilo and the Cooling for the GPU is awful.

It just cant hadle the temperature of the 6800.

The problemes comes from the heatsink it self. It heats and cant cool down with 1 fan.

I'll not say the cooling is the best in the world, but it mostly works. My 2D temp is 56 C and 3D pushed about 85 C. No power saving tricks used.

So you must have a hardware problem in the GPU or perhaps mainboard if the heat transfer path is OK as it seems to be.