LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce Go 6800 S-Video Failure (Inspiron 9300)

Dunebug

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a Geforce Go 6800 video card. For the last few months, I've been connecting the computer to a TV in order to watch videos on the TV. We've always connected the computer using the S-Video to Composite cable that was supplied by Dell when I bought the computer hooked up to another composite video cable. Anyhow, today it decided not to work. There is absolutely no picture appearing on the TV, all that appears is the TV's blue screen.

Over the last couple of weeks we have noticed that the picture quality has slowly been degrading as well. It seemed that the picture on the TV (the laptop is still perfect) has become less sharp and seems to be a little more red. This only occurred when we were hooking the laptop up to the computer. All other times, the TV looks fine. We tried to fix that by messing with the TV's settings, but alas we never got a really great picture out of it. Yesterday, we were still able to hook the laptop up to the TV without any significant problems; yet today it not longer worked.

I have not changed any of the settings (as far as I am aware) or updated any major software. I also bought two new cables today to check if maybe the cables had gone bad someone. Yet, neither of the cables seem to work. I've tried updating my nVidia drivers to the latest ones offered by Dell, but no luck. I've also tried connecting the video cable to both the TV's front inputs as well as the inputs on the back of the TV.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Is my S-Video output dead?

Thank you.

It smells bad my friend... you want to try the TV out on a different TV and with a SVideo cable.

ps: you should have used a SVideo cable in the first place since you get the best luminance and chrominance resolution. Composite is muddy looking.

It smells bad my friend... you want to try the TV out on a different TV and with a SVideo cable.

ps: you should have used a SVideo cable in the first place since you get the best luminance and chrominance resolution. Composite is muddy looking.

I do not have a TV that supports a pure S-Video connection though. I think tomorrow I'm going to head to a friend's a check the connection on his TV. I guess if it doesn't work after that then it is most likely a dead S-Video port? Is there any way to check if the port is functioning besides hooking it up to another device?

Thanks again.

Remark... if your TV is too old or too small to bear a SVideo port... you might want to use the laptop screen to watch movies. For a while I watch the TV series from the laptop resting on the coffee table in front of the sofa.

There is no simple way to test a port... I fried a TV out on a desktop geforce 4. In order to test the TV side I plugged a camera with SVIdeo out... it worked... then tried the PC on another TV... it didn't work.

ps: check if the pins in the connector are not bent.