LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vista x64 beta2 build 5384, 440 go

sjerome

I recently received the DVD's from microsoft for the Vista Beta. Upon recieving them, I immediately began the install. After it was finished, I had a nice 800x600 desktop, which I changed right away to 1024x768. The next step after getting wireless connectivity set up, was to jump out to Laptop Video 2 Go and get the modded drivers for my hp pavilion zv5340us AMD64 3400+, GeForce 440 Go 64M laptop. You guys were there for me when I installed Win XP x64, so I figured, you would be doing Vista x64 as well. And not suprising, you guys already had the drivers up. Even tailored specifically for beta 2. Awesome!!! But then I downloaded them, Installed them, and every thing went swimmingly. After the reboot, I still have my 1024x768 resolution, And an error code 43, in my device manager. :)

So I did some messing around, and downloaded the 84.80 from the main page, for winxp x64, and figured I would try that. Of course the installer rejected my platform, as it is not win xp x64 (or is it). So I went the old school route of firing up the device manager, and clicking "update driver" from the drop down menu. It barked a bit about not being a signed driver (big deal), and successfully updated my driver. (Screen flashed and everything) So my guess is, that it is really close to what is required. It did not ask me to reboot, so I preceded to change my resolution to 1280x800, which is where this lappy runs natively. It worked. No problems. It also let me full screen my MediaPlayer. However, as soon as I tried to fire up one of the D3D screen savers, it Blue screened, core dumped, and complained about nv4_mini.sys. SO I figured I just needed to reboot. So as it came back up, I watched it, it got to the nice 1280x800 login screen, I clicked my user id, and then it blue screened again loading the desktop. :)

So now I am back to my regular old "last known good", and I am wondering why the xp x64 driver tried, but the vista, didn't. The main differences I noticed were the .inf files were named different. "nvhw.inf" (the one that almost worked) and the vista "nv_dsp.inf" (that errored 43)

I hope this helps the developers here a bit. I really would love to keep this installed. And it works fine for work, but I really hate to have to boot down into Linux, to play my games (ut2k4, quake4, doom3, and NeverWinter Nights)

Best of wishes to you in your building. I will keep my eye on this post, and watch for a fixed driver for vista x64.

Thank You for your time, and efforts,

:P

Seth

If a driver bluescreens at VISTA my guess is, that the driver still is in ALPHA/BETA/TESTING stage (there's no final VISTA driver, isn't there?) and so is the OS :)

Thanks though for the comprehensive and understandable error report. It's like a diamond among those other reports of guests.

edit: ups i just saw the link Fabrice posted... at least there's an official BETA driver for VISTA x64 (which we probably have listed in our database too, hard to remember 300 hundred driver releases :) )

Smells like I'll have to install Vista x64 AGAIN for debugging... Awww crap.

I have a 40Gb 2"5 test HDD that will soon see the Vista and nVidia driver.

Smells like I'll have to install Vista x64 AGAIN for debugging... Awww crap.

I have a 40Gb 2"5 test HDD that will soon see the Vista and nVidia driver.

Well I have downloaded the drivers from nVidia's site for vista, and I have replaced the .inf file with the one from here, that includes my chip, and I get the same results, Error code 43. I am wondering if I need to cahnge a line or something in the .inf file. How is it that you determine, which of the GPU's I actually have on this laptop. Is there a command I can run. I know in Linux, I can just do an "lspci -v" that will show me all that info, is there a similar windows command?

I have Win XP x64 on this laptop as well, maybe I should check the .inf file I got here for that version, as it works excellently.

I will keep trying. :)

Seth

You can use our NERD tool which extracts those information (with help of WMI and other external tools) or you can do it on your own by using "devcon /?" - a tool not installed natively on XP. It's 55 kb and included in the NERD package.

You can use our NERD tool which extracts those information (with help of WMI and other external tools) or you can do it on your own by using "devcon /?" - a tool not installed natively on XP. It's 55 kb and included in the NERD package.

Well the tool nERD does not work on vista x64, version incompatibility for 32 bit. I went back and looked at the original drivers, that shipped with my hp for the nvidia card. It only contained 2 lines for chipset:

[NVIDIA.Mfg]

%NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0176.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176&SUBSYS_006D103C

%NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0179.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0179&SUBSYS_006D103C

Also the .inf file was named NVCP.inf not nv4_disp.inf

I tried adding these lines to the .inf file from the drivers for win vista x64 88.61, however I still get the same error 43. I tried to add this same lines to the 88.40 winxp x64 .inf file, and again. It allows me to change the resolution to 1280x800, but then as soon as I try to do something, I am guessing with D3D or acceleration (like the new solitaire) or I reboot, I blue screen again complaining about nv4_mini.sys

:)

I am at a loss. Not sure where to go from here. I can't (,.configure - make && make install) in winders, so I guess its gentoo for gaming for now.... hehe :)

I will just keep watching for driver updates. I don't know enough about .inf files to do any real good here.

Thanks again for all your help :P

Seth

What is the output of Vista X64 when opening a command prompt and then type:

VER

and

SET

Can you pls post the 2 results?

Even I gave up on the current beta, heck even on IGN they showed it running on a nice new rig, but couldn't get 3D stuff like games to run with drivers. (code 43 and BSOD for them too)

Like Ronin they have new top of the line desktop cards and stuff sent to them free.

I was getting 43 and BSOD on my desktop while testing with the latest beta and couldn't get stuff to work right.

But on an earlier beta 2 I got some games and drivers running and things, although no glass.

Maybe on the next beta we can easily install drivers and get games running again.

:)

Ok I have an update. I installed the 32 bit version of the beta 2 vista, used the original drivers that come from HP for my 440 go, and I have acceleration, 1280x800, and even world of warcraft fires up. Now I just have to get the aero stuff working. I see from some other posts here, that there is a file to modify in the winders folder, however, when I try to modify the file , or even copy in a modded file, it tell me I do not have enough rights or privelages. :)

I thought I was listed as administrator, however, apparently I am not.

The good news is, I may not be able to run 64bit apps(not like there are any) but it still uses up to 100% of my 2.2GHz. The original windows xp home it came with only ever went as high as 797MHz.

I will keep posting, and record any new results I may come across.

Thanks again, :P

Seth

Edited by sjerome

The good news is, I may not be able to run 64bit apps(not like there are any) but it still uses up to 100% of my 2.2GHz. The original windows xp home it came with only ever went as high as 797MHz.

I'll have to keep track of all the bogus reasons people pull up to install an OS that is just a huge ressource hog... I have a poorly configured Windows XP let me upgrade to Vista beta with beta drivers. It's like saying when you have serious issues in your couple: "Lets get married to see if it solve things up... if it doesn't work we will still have to backup option to make some kids". *rolls eyes BIG TIME*

BTW there are 64 bits apps but only in the domains that require it. Mainly memory access like large image handling and other kinds of jumbo sized data. Don't expect software devs to spend precious hours on stuff that is not justified both performance and business wise.

Ok,

After getting through the weekend and testing the 3D performance of the 32 bit vista on the 440 go, and using the factory drivers from HP, I have the following success stories.

World of Warcraft, installed fine and works in all resolutions 1280x800, 1024x768, 800x600

Call of Duty 2, using the Directx9 version, runs fine in 1024x768, 800x600.

Doom3, works fine in 800x600, and 640x480.

The TV output, using the Mobility Center, works fine.

The Aero, glass effects, only work on the Desktop Icons, and all of the included games, Solitaire, and what not.

The CPU, when nothing is running, according to the included "gadget" runs at a steady 2%. When using the new media player, with the pretty "Now Playing" graphics, the cpu goes up to around 15%.

Watching a DVD, with Media Center, the cpu runs about 60%.

I guess all that is left to do is figure out how to get Aero effects to work. I am not so much concerned with the glass effect around the windows, as I am with the "Win TAB" 3D task manager. That would be cool to get working. I will play with the modded .inf file, and see if I can get any of the glass effects working. So far, other than not supporting my 440 go card, I have not seen any real bugs. Runs pretty stable.

I will keep posting.

Seth

Edited by sjerome