LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce4 420 go doesn't work properly with WoW

Guest Toby

Guest Toby

Hello all!

My notebook is a Toshiba sp with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB-RAM and a Nvidia Geforce4 420go.

Since I have bought the game World of Warcraft, I've been trying to play it. However, everytime I launch the game, the whole picture starts flickering and isnt displayed properly.

After installing the driver 91.31 from this website the game didnt even show the flickering account-screen but just minimized the WoW-window. Maximizing was impossible. Also after installing my screen resolution was only 936 x 768 instead of 1024 x 768 and at my right hand side appeared a black stripe, which made my display become smaller.

I hope that someone can help me, as I had been looking forward to playing WoW all the time.

Thx for replies,

Toby

• 4 weeks later...

Guys guys guys... are you familiar with software minimum requirements?

Battlefield 2 requirements
  • Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
  • 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
  • 512 MB of RAM or more
  • 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
  • 2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
  • Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)
  • Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible (Sound Blaster X-Fi series recommended )

VIDEO

Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:

• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
  • ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

Your video card is a DirectX 7 family... therefore way below minimum requirements. Read the minimum requirements before you buy a software.

EDIT: added a big sticker to remind that those requirements are for Battlefield 2. Fabrice

Guys guys guys... are you familiar with software minimum requirements?

Your video card is a DirectX 7 family... therefore way below minimum requirements. Read the minimum requirements before you buy a software.

my computer does fulfill the minimum requirements of WoW

wind xp

int III 800Mhz (2Ghz)

512 MB

nvidia 32 MB ,

so what exactly do you mean by

"Guys guys guys... are you familiar with software minimum requirements?" ?

wind xp

WinXP =DX8 ?

Do you have issues reading the minimum requirements?

Your graphic card is a 32Mb Geforce 4 Go... which is equivalent to a desktop Geforce 2. This graphic card is DirectX 7... World of Warcraft requires a 128Mb DirectX 9.0c graphic card.

Installing the DirectX 9.0c runtime and a DirectX 9.0c driver DOESN'T TURN YOUR GRAPHIC CARD INTO A DIRECTX 9.0C ONE.

There will be the time where we need to tweak the fontsize capabilities of the forum to enable even greater sizes for you :)

WoW I'm glad to use 1600x1200 resolution or else I would need to scroll! :)

wow will work on your computer... i have had it running before on similar system ... forget the driver i had.. still trying to find it again but the 57.82 & 67.91 drivers will work

oh and your gona need to up your ram to 1g otherwise you will lag quite a bit when playing... but it will be playable

edit: but yeah.. you will want to run it on a stronger computer for a more enjoyable experience.

edit again: oh and the minimum requirements for WoW is....

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Edited by robertd1970

Fabrice there is a big difference between DX 9.0c hardware and software level support, look up specific card compatibility next time.

Although your right about BF2, your money would be better spent mailing them threats to include GF 4 Ti support with bombs in a nice package to EA or whoever.

Fabrice there is a big difference between DX 9.0c hardware and software level support, look up specific card compatibility next time.

Although your right about BF2, your money would be better spent mailing them threats to include GF 4 Ti support with bombs in a nice package to EA or whoever.

It seems that I answered to the guy about his Battlefield 2 issues and included the requirements of Battlefield 2 on one post... and a couple of questions later I took them for WOW requirements. My bad...

Here are the proper WOW requirements:

World of Warcraft requirement (Windows)
  • 800 MHz or higher CPU.
  • 256 MB or more of RAM.
  • 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better.
  • 4 GB or more of available hard drive space.
  • DirectX® 9.0c or above.
  • A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection.

It just reminded me a graphic issue a friend of mine experienced on a MMO... Everquest 2 if I remember correctly. He was helping some young less experienced player of his guild/tribes/faction/*whatevername*... after 30 minutes of circling in the wilderness he asked them:

"What are you looking for?"

"We are looking for a tree with flames/objects/whatever."

"Hey like the one on the side of this hill."

"What??? We see no tree on this hill"

"Move closer I think my 7800 GTX allows me more detail."

"We don't see anything."

"Move even closer.. trust me."

When they almost reached pointblank the tree appeared... and they finished their quest. My friend admited that the tree never disappeared from his screen unless blocked by a hill. While players with GF4 class cards only saw it when they were under the branches.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Thai Tempest
Hello all!

My notebook is a Toshiba sp with 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB-RAM and a Nvidia Geforce4 420go.

Since I have bought the game World of Warcraft, I've been trying to play it. However, everytime I launch the game, the whole picture starts flickering and isnt displayed properly.

After installing the driver 91.31 from this website the game didnt even show the flickering account-screen but just minimized the WoW-window. Maximizing was impossible. Also after installing my screen resolution was only 936 x 768 instead of 1024 x 768 and at my right hand side appeared a black stripe, which made my display become smaller.

I hope that someone can help me, as I had been looking forward to playing WoW all the time.

Thx for replies,

Toby

I have a Toshiba Satellite (P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 420 Go). I just upgraded the RAM yesterday from 512MB, but I have been playing WoW since Dec '04. It runs smoothly (except the 80 people pvp session) if you drop all the visual settings. For the graphics card, I currently have installed the 4.17.00.59.F9 BIOS, 6.14.10.4634 driver, and DirectX 9.0c. If you have extra cash at some point, I would recommend upgrading to 1GB RAM, I was able to up my graphics settings and still run even more smoothly than before. These are what I dropped in: CORSAIR 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM. This is the best reviewed and priced RAM I found. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i have the same problem with the satellite pro, the flickering of the image etc, all in all, bitching an moaning apart, the only "answer" provided was: "Read the minimum requirements noob" Yet ive seen a post of someone saying he used a cdertain driver, he's forget which, but it solved the issue:

So here's my take on things: For all you wannabe techs, im sure there a better answer than "read the requirements noob" because obviously, someone better than you was able to make it work,

K thx

meanwhile im still trying to find the name of the driver that person used to solve that WoW display issue

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lelelelel
Hey guys, i have the same problem with the satellite pro, the flickering of the image etc, all in all, bitching an moaning apart, the only "answer" provided was: "Read the minimum requirements noob" Yet ive seen a post of someone saying he used a cdertain driver, he's forget which, but it solved the issue:

So here's my take on things: For all you wannabe techs, im sure there a better answer than "read the requirements noob" because obviously, someone better than you was able to make it work,

K thx

meanwhile im still trying to find the name of the driver that person used to solve that WoW display issue

hey i had the same problem with my graphics card about aug 2006 time after a patch. at the time I got it sorted by changing something in the short cut of all things. I cant remember what you have to add but its only a small bit of extra text. I have been trying to find the pages on the wow forum about it but cant for the life of me

I have not played for a few months now and trying to get it to work again. I know this is not going to help but I feel your pain. I tryed everything upgrading ram ect and it turned out to be the short cut.

its something like you add a space at the end of the target and 3 letter. sorry ill keep looking and let you know if i find it.

guys, my problem with wow seems to be similiar, so

i have dell latitude c840 with geforce440go, 1 gb ram, pIV 2.0, it seems to be ok with the requirements, but

i cant get more fps then about 4-6, its a tragedy playing like this...

i've just installed the recommended driver 84.25 and the inf, but it made no different at all.

still 4-6 fps

any idea?

which driver would be the best?

(i've played also wow at my old pc with 380 ram, amd800 and gf2 and it was pretty similiar - 3-6 fps, so i dont believe that my lap is to cheap for wow requirements... help... )

I believe it's as good as it gets...

Let me fresh up your memory. The Pentium 4 2.0GHz is probably the equivalent of an Athlon 1.2 or 1.4GHz. So your desktop computer CPU is just a tad less powerfull than your laptop. And the GeForce 4 Go 440 is the equivalent of a slow desktop GeForce 2.

The best performances should be reached with a driver in the 44.xx... check out the recommended driver FAQ.

• 2 weeks later...

thx, mate :)

so, i have tried 44.75, but didn't notice any difference in game's performance...

actually, it works even worse than on my PC :/

i can believe, that my lap is similiar to desktop, but CPU power is high enough for the game IMO, there are no problemns with processing, only framerate is still low...

1 gb ram keeps wow running smoothly, but I've no idea why does the graphic card causes such problems. Maybe, its because of resulotion (1600x1200) that kills graphic card's memory? Are there any options to change resolution in general, or wow - because changing it it game setting doesn't work at all :/

Or maybe there are any drivers for monitor?

i just don't now what else to do or ask :/

The last time I used a GeForce 2 on a desktop computer was back in early 2002 when I switched to GeForce 4. Back in those days... with the GeForce 4 I had to tone down the resolution of the games from 1280x960 all the way down to 800x600 to reach decent frame rate. Plus the GeForce 4 is roughtly 50-60% of the power of the smallest desktop GeForce 2 ever made.

May be you want to do the same... feeding your screen a 1/4 image will probably get you a better frame rate.

The driver that I advised you... is the best you could get. (read best performances and compatibility... not MAGICAL DRIVER that changes a 2002 GPU into a 2008 one)

The HUGE bottleneck on your system is the GPU... then the system RAM, then the video RAM, then the CPU.

Set the game to the lowest settings available... and check if it suit you... then start playing with the sliders to add some eye candy.