LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Temperature problem in 6800go ultra

tecmason

Hi, i would like to say i have LOVED this site and i just registered because i knew you guys had solid answers.

I recently wiped my Dell xps gen2 and started with a fresh install of windows xp pro. i got sp2 and all of the updates, as well as the 84.25 "oblivion" drivers from here (modded nif from that page as well). i have noticed though as i have been playing WoW and oblivion my temp gets to 81+ in Celcius! My idle temp is also too high at around 65 to 70 C. I cant here the fans running and figure that this is the culprit but i have no ideah how to turn them on.

Is it a windows thing or somthing in bios (i have factory default bios i believe)? i have seen something here called rivatuner but it looked like it would over ride my nvidia display or somthing. what is a safe Fan controling tool, and do i need one?

I would like things to be as optimal as possible without being to "tweaky" hehe. thanks for any help!

p.s. is a high temp what could cause my horrible framerate drops in oblivion?

The program you are looking for is called I8kfanGUI... it was created to display and control a lot of features of Dell Inspiron 8x00 but the dev made it compatible with recent Inspiron. Since your latptop has the share his intrails with my Inspiron 9300 you should have no problems displaying and controling the fans in your laptop.

What are your graphic settings for Oblivion? I play in 1280x800, with bloom, without grass and without anti-aliasing.

im using 1280x800 as well with 2AA and bloom. i also had some shadows and almost full interior shadows. grass is a must for me but thinned using a modded .inf. i can get about 22-30 fps outside and well over 40 inside. problem is. after a few minutes the card heats up to about 81C and the framerate drops to about 16-19 fps if not lower. i never get back to 30.

I know 30fps solid is a hard achievement with shadows/bloom/and esp grass on, thats why im pumped to tweak some and try to boost performance, starting with the fans.

another interesting note is that resolution doesnt play a major role in the frame rates. the day it came out i tweaked it and got playable framerates at 1600x10000 with AA off and no hdr or bloom. 1920x1200 on the otherhand is an imposible acheviment (although it would be fun to try and get 30 fps on 1920 hehe). i find that even at 800x600 with shadows and all off. the frame still plataue at 18fps when its heated up.

thanks for the fan program i will try it out and post some results.

EDIT: ALSO my power options are on Laptop/portable. i rarely if ever unplug from the AC so should i use a different management scheme like home/office? Thanks

Edited by tecmason

ok i have some mixed results. havent tested oblivion yet for the true test because im having a problem working the fan program. i can turn it on maual and out fan speeds to high (plus raise the back of the laptop for airfow) and cpu temp is going down as well as gpu (was idle at 72 now 61 and falling!).

Problem is, i want this to be automatic when my computer hits cetain temps. the automatic feature isnt working though (probibly due to my lack of knowledge). I when to options and checked the temp changes of the cpu and gpu tabs but the fans dont seem to come on at the appropriate time. any tips would be apreciated.

ill go to sleep and get a fresh start tommorow. Thanks for the tip :)

temps at end of typing: 33 cpu/ 58gpu and falling

ok i got the fan program running on temp control, i flashed my bios up to A05 and tried WoW. I got a peak of 85C!!

this is with the fans on high and everything. does anyone have tips on how to get the temperature lower (other than raising the back). thanks

EDIT: peak of 87C

Edited by tecmason

If you raised the laptop, forced a different profile (turning fans to high speed earlier temp wise) there is little room for improvement. Unless you are ready to put your laptop ontop of a air conditioning vent... or move all your gear into the cold room of the local grocery store. :)

Ok i apprieciate the help but i got a peak today of 91 degrees C! thats almost enough to boil tea. this cant be good for my graphics card i assume, im now wondering if there is any good laptop cooling stations. i tried a friends of mine and it was crappy to say the least.

does anyone know of a good cooling solution to laptops?

btw my fans have kept my cpu temp under 40 celcius constantly (highest peak was 61) so i know they work to some extent.

Edited by tecmason

• 1 year later...
Guest sean ryan

These systems are simply designed badly. I have a dell xps gen2 and it frequently reaches 95 degrees and clocks back. This means slowdowns because the fan/colling system is simply not good enough to cope with running heat of the 6800 ultra.

I have had the card replaced and sent back to dell. Runs OK from cold boot for about 20 mins and then monitoring the core temp of the GPU I can see it climbing through 90+ and on to 95 degrees.

Benchmark it twice in succession and you get a slower score the second time.

The card died last week and they replaced it. It ran for half an hour on battlefield 2 and died - overheated.

I think the lack of good cooling in the design is to blame....