LaptopVideo2Go Forums

system crash while gaming

robocop

hi all!

i'm a newbie here!

i've an asus a6jm-ap019h (t2500, 1 GB RAM, go 7600 512 MB) since last monday and with the nvidia drivers that i've found installed (83.90) the system was crashing during gaming sessions (games were rfactor and f1 challenge). so i've installed the latest official display driver (84.26) available on the asus website but the results are the same...

even 3dmark2005 doesn't finish without the crash!

then i've installed the version 91.33 with modded inf, downloaded form this site, and 3dmark2005 has finally take to the finish his tests (score is 3886) but the problem is showing again with the same games.

it's a driver problem or a temperature problem?

i monitor the temps with notebook hardware control and they have always been under control until now

Edited by robocop

It's possible that it's not driver related... the ambient temperature might be a little too high so your laptop cooling system is not able to prevent overheating.

During those nasty hot summer days if I don't turn the air conditionning on the room temp raise to 30°C opposed to something in the 18-20°C during winter. The temperature response is not linear but if you raise the room temp by 10°C you are likely to see a similar raise in your system.

You might want to downclock your GPU a bit so it doesn't overheat during summer.

It's possible that it's not driver related... the ambient temperature might be a little too high so your laptop cooling system is not able to prevent overheating.

During those nasty hot summer days if I don't turn the air conditionning on the room temp raise to 30°C opposed to something in the 18-20°C during winter. The temperature response is not linear but if you raise the room temp by 10°C you are likely to see a similar raise in your system.

You might want to downclock your GPU a bit so it doesn't overheat during summer.

yeah, but these crashes are strange: hd seems to be operative and also the sound continues to play while all other things are not available (keyboard, mouse). the only thing i can do is to reset by pressing the power button

Your system can crash pretty bad... and still have music playing on the sound card... when the sound buffer is empty the sound usually loops.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same problem with my zepto 6615wd (T2500, 2gb, gerfore go 7600 512 mb).

I have the same problem. And my laptop is a Toshiba M70, it crashes every time i play GuildWars. What should i do?

First of all you need a recent reference driver. By reference I mean something above 84.12 that either comes from your laptop manufacturer or from here. If you donwload a driver from here take the 84.25 it's known to be reliable.

Do a test with the crashing game. Or better do a test with 3DMark 2003... IMHO it's pointless as benchmark but it's reliable as a overheating test. :)

To see if you are facing overheating you want to access the Geforce clocking panel. (it's locked on official drivers so you'll need to follow the first steops of this procedure) You'll need to lower the core clock of the 3D mode of your GPU. Take 20% off the default value. Then run another test.